Weather in Wichita Sucks, Friday Game Time Sucks

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Weather in Wichita Sucks, Friday Game Time Sucks

Post by tjtlja »

Suck it up .....
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Ah, the wonderful feeling of not squaring one up on a freezing day. I don't miss that.

(luckily I was a pretty good hitter :wink: )
I still have PTSD from getting sawed off a couple of times during games in the 30's... the sting and the deep throb through your forearms...ugh
I (felt) your pain.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:Suck it up .....
Yeah? You play a lot of baseball with temps in the 20s and 30s down there in Houston and New Orleans? 8) I remember practices as far back as second grade where we'd practice in the adjacent church parking lot because it melted quicker and the field still had snow... having a winter glove on my throwing hand and my baseball glove on the other (the hand in the mitt would be freezing and you'd better catch everything clean in the web or it felt like your hand shattered)... and the aforementioned batting issues with aluminum bats, especially the old school thick-walled ones back in the 70s... Good times. You southerners were missing out. :lol:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
Yeah? You play a lot of baseball with temps in the 20s and 30s down there in Houston and New Orleans? 8) I remember practices as far back as second grade where we'd practice in the adjacent church parking lot because it melted quicker and the field still had snow... having a winter glove on my throwing hand and my baseball glove on the other (the hand in the mitt would be freezing and you'd better catch everything clean in the web or it felt like your hand shattered)... and the aforementioned batting issues with aluminum bats, especially the old school thick-walled ones back in the 70s... Good times. You southerners were missing out. :lol:
I’m with you, Pete. I played my Little League and Babe Ruth baseball in Rhode Island in the 60s and we often had snow on the grass. I didn’t know anything else.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
I’m with you, Pete. I played my Little League and Babe Ruth baseball in Rhode Island in the 60s and we often had snow on the grass. I didn’t know anything else.
Rubber-coated baseballs for use on the blacktop for when the field was unusable... those things would get some wicked english on choppers, like trying to field a superball with backspin or side-spin. Bruises galore. My coach was a young college guy who was a gung-ho baseball nut, attended MLB spring training and would bring back drills and calisthenics for us young-uns; taught me the fundamentals (which was great) but in retrospect, that guy was a little over-the-top. :mrgreen:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Rubber-coated baseballs for use on the blacktop for when the field was unusable... those things would get some wicked english on choppers, like trying to field a superball with backspin or side-spin. Bruises galore. My coach was a young college guy who was a gung-ho baseball nut, attended MLB spring training and would bring back drills and calisthenics for us young-uns; taught me the fundamentals (which was great) but in retrospect, that guy was a little over-the-top. :mrgreen:
Still makes me a little dismissive of baseball folks who whine about rain or cold. I say grow a pair, wipe the snot on your sleeve, and play ball. 8)
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

If baseball sucks in the sucky Witchita weather, in which thread do I post about it? Asking for a friend. 8)
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

I hate to derail the narrative, but we or any non-Memphis team are 1 good weekend away from 1st. I wouldn't throw in the towel all of 3 weeks into conference play. So long as Memphis holds the basement down we're going to qualify for the 8 team Clearwater field, and anything can happen there.

So this is where we are with Tulane Baseball in 2018. Sure, I'm upset about it, but I'm sticking by the kids. They deserve your support independent of anything you might think of the coaches.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

If we can’t win more than 1 game each weekend, we might not stay above Memphis for long. :shock:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

1309th WAVE wrote:I hate to derail the narrative, but we or any non-Memphis team are 1 good weekend away from 1st. I wouldn't throw in the towel all of 3 weeks into conference play. So long as Memphis holds the basement down we're going to qualify for the 8 team Clearwater field, and anything can happen there.
Considering what we did against Cincinnati and the fact they're near the top of the leaderboard, I'd say all is not lost. But then again, if we're really judging everyone on how things stand right now, how bad is the AAC this year?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:I hate to derail the narrative, but we or any non-Memphis team are 1 good weekend away from 1st. I wouldn't throw in the towel all of 3 weeks into conference play. So long as Memphis holds the basement down we're going to qualify for the 8 team Clearwater field, and anything can happen there.
Considering what we did against Cincinnati and the fact they're near the top of the leaderboard, I'd say all is not lost. But then again, if we're really judging everyone on how things stand right now, how bad is the AAC this year?
As of now it is the fifth best conference.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

1309th WAVE wrote:So long as Memphis holds the basement down we're going to qualify for the 8 team Clearwater field
Feel the excitement!!!