Where we fall on other team's schedules

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Where we fall on other team's schedules

Post by WaveProf »

Week One
Wake Forest (Thursday Game)
Before TU: N/A
After TU:vs Towson

Week Two
Nicholls State
Before TU: at Kansas
After TU: vs McNeese State

Week Three
at UAB
Before TU: vs Coastal Carolina
After TU:Bye Week

Week Four
at Ohio State
Before TU: at TCU
After TU: at Penn State

Week Five
Memphis (Friday Game)
Before TU: vs South Alabama
After TU: vs UConn

Week Six
at Cincinnatti
Before TU: at UConn
After TU: Bye Week

Week Seven
Bye Week

Week Eight
SMU
Before TU: Bye Week
After TU: vs Cincinnati

Week Nine
at Tulsa
Before TU: at Arkansas
After TU:vs UConn

Week Ten
at USF
Before TU: at Houston
After TU: at Cincinnati

Week Eleven
ECU
Before TU: vs Memphis
After TU: vs UConn

Week Twelve
at Houston (Thursday Game)
Before TU: vs Temple
After TU: at Memphis (Friday game)

Week Thirteen
Navy
Before TU: vs Tulsa
After TU: Bye Week or Conference Championship
Last edited by WaveProf on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Where we fall on other team's schedules

Post by WaveProf »

Initial observations:

~ The only homecoming game we play is our own

~ The only team that gets a Bye Week to prepare for us is SMU, whom we have 2 weeks to prepare for as well

~ No one plays Navy (or any other option heavy team, not that we are an option team) the week before they play us.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

I smell an upset
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

We certainly catch the monster opponent at the right time. Thanks for the rundown.
We deserve so much better
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

windywave wrote:I smell an upset
Is Nicholls over Kansas an upset?
Victory is never permanent
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

I've always believed it is not who you play, it is when you play them. This aplies to every team, not just Tulane. And for TU, the game vs Navy couldn't come at a better time.

Nice thread WP.

FS'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
double d
Coach Level

Post by double d »

wavedom wrote:We certainly catch the monster opponent at the right time. Thanks for the rundown.
Doubt that will matter; they’re 3rd stringers would start here. Need to take care of the teams in conference and not take anyone for granted. Nicholls has played Texas A& M real tough in College Station last year.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

double d wrote:
wavedom wrote:We certainly catch the monster opponent at the right time. Thanks for the rundown.
Doubt that will matter; they’re 3rd stringers would start here. Need to take care of the teams in conference and not take anyone for granted. Nicholls has played Texas A& M real tough in College Station last year.
The same A&M that kust fired their coach?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

double d wrote:Need to take care of the teams in conference and not take anyone for granted. Nicholls has played Texas A& M real tough in College Station last year.
Nicholls lost in the last ten minutes of the game last year to A&M.
Nicholls lost on the last play of the game, after having the lead most of the game, against Georgia, the year before (2016).
Nicholls lost to USA in 2016 in overtime.
Nicholls beat one of the directional Michigan FBS teams in 2013.
Nicholls made the FCS playoffs in 2017 and lost on a BS call at the end of the game the same day as our BS call against SMU

I'm not particularly worried about Nicholls for the same reason I'm not overly worried about any of our FCS opponents, whom we've never lost to, and whom we should be able to beat if we take them seriously. Meanwhile, Nicholls has less talent than the SeLa team we played a couple of years back. But if there were any reason to be concerned about the Nicholls game its a big one, the most dangerous element that can exist when playing a team far your inferior: they'll come in believing they can win. Texas AM, Georgia, South Alabama, directional Michigan, will all have taught them that. And Kansas will likely not have done much to dispel it. And they've got an up and coming coach who will have them fired up. And I think their fans will travel well. That isn't a good combination if Tulane doesn't take them seriously.

But if we do, we'll win going away. There's no reason to freak out about Nicholls. Just like there was no reason to freak out about Grambling, Southern, SELA, or McNeese. Though some did freak out about them anyway.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:There's no reason to freak out about Nicholls. Just like there was no reason to freak out about Grambling, Southern, SELA, or McNeese. Though some did freak out about them anyway.
Yeah, um...weren't you one of them?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Yeah, um...weren't you one of them?
Um.... no. I actually got attacked for not taking them seriously enough and for making fun of people who kept talking them up.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Hey, a 16 finally knocked off a 1 after all these years, so eventually we are going to get beaten by a FCS school. Hopefully not while I am still fogging a mirror though!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

I reserve my right to freak out about Nicholls until we hit a 21 point lead some months from now. We're doubtless going to be bigger, faster, stronger etc. than them, but they play much more disciplined than Grambling or Southern. Grambling's first possession against us had a false start and a delay of game because they lined up in an illegal formation. Toast from the jump. Nicholls won't give us those unforced errors. At least I can trust this staff to have us as ready as they will be.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

1309th WAVE wrote:I reserve my right to freak out about Nicholls until we hit a 21 point lead some months from now. We're doubtless going to be bigger, faster, stronger etc. than them, but they play much more disciplined than Grambling or Southern. Grambling's first possession against us had a false start and a delay of game because they lined up in an illegal formation. Toast from the jump. Nicholls won't give us those unforced errors. At least I can trust this staff to have us as ready as they will be.

You certainly have the "right" to. And your logic isn't "wrong" per se. But If we need to freak out about Nicholls then we might as well not even get emotionally invested in the rest of the season.

It'll be ok. So long as the players don't simply assume it'll "be ok".
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

double d wrote:
I take for granted the things you said there. I think they go without saying.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:I reserve my right to freak out about Nicholls until we hit a 21 point lead some months from now. We're doubtless going to be bigger, faster, stronger etc. than them, but they play much more disciplined than Grambling or Southern. Grambling's first possession against us had a false start and a delay of game because they lined up in an illegal formation. Toast from the jump. Nicholls won't give us those unforced errors. At least I can trust this staff to have us as ready as they will be.

You certainly have the "right" to. And your logic isn't "wrong" per se. But If we need to freak out about Nicholls then we might as well not even get emotionally invested in the rest of the season.

It'll be ok. So long as the players don't simply assume it'll "be ok".
I really like Nicholls' coach and I like their QB. In the past few years they would have concerned me a lot more than any of the other FCS teams that we have faced. We get them in game two and so Banks should be very healthy at that point. So I'll be relaxing and enjoying our second win of the season.