Men's Basketball Signs Connor Crabtree

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: Men's Basketball Signs Connor Crabtree

Post by GreenieBacker »

I don't know Pete, but I do know if we don't bring in consistent outside shooters teams will simply continue to Zone us to death.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Also, to clarify, I like the Crabtree signing. I didn't mean my digression to imply I didn't. I would just like to see us also sign a few quicker guys, specifically a point guard.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Gosh, yes! If we have the need for shooters covered,a quick,very quick assist loving PG would be great. Really great.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

doc wrote:Assistant HC Stewart seems to be working hard at recruiting- I wouldn’t be so quick to minimize this staffs efforts and ability to bring in better players.
I can't speak to his recruiting, but he is the only coach with college experience. There is no denying that defense and clock management has been below par. Most coaches will rely on assistants to make sure they know who is in foul trouble, who are not good free throw shooters on the other team, number of time outs left, etc. Given the issues we have had it needs to be improved. I'm not calling for anybody's job, just saying we need to improve that area and bringing in and additional coach could really help with that.

I suggested Baker Dunleavy because he was an assistant at Villanova, now has head coaching experience and would assume has his father's ear.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I like Crabtree a lot. He will play on the wing and should be a double figures scorer by his sophomore year. I think he will be a really good player.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

gerryb323 wrote:
Charlie Dunn wrote:I assume its also possible that Frazier will come back. If he is say a late second round pick or goes undrafted, I am thinking he will return to Tulane.
Problem with that is, unlike baseball, he has to decide before the draft. So it will be based on what teams are telling him.
Why does he? I don't think that's correct. If so, he would just hire an agent now.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Rider it's correct. If you hire an agent you're gone. If you don't you can participate in the combine and if you don't get positive feedback you can withdraw your name and go back to school. There is a date that you have to make that decision by but I can't remember it right now. it may be May 30th. The difference with baseball is that every player is available after HS and after their Junior year. They don't have to declare.
We deserve so much better
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

in the end it may all be academic, it looks like Frazier's stock has been rising, not going the other way. So in all probability we can color him gone.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote:Rider it's correct. If you hire an agent you're gone. If you don't you can participate in the combine and if you don't get positive feedback you can withdraw your name and go back to school. There is a date that you have to make that decision by but I can't remember it right now. it may be May 30th. The difference with baseball is that every player is available after HS and after their Junior year. They don't have to declare.
It is May 30th. They have until April 22 to declare for the draft and May 30th to withdraw, as long as they haven't signed an agent. As for why: reasons.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking he could go through the draft and then decide whether to sign or return to school. Now I get the no agent thing as it allows him to withdraw after closer looks by teams, but before the actual draft.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:Rider it's correct. If you hire an agent you're gone. If you don't you can participate in the combine and if you don't get positive feedback you can withdraw your name and go back to school. There is a date that you have to make that decision by but I can't remember it right now. it may be May 30th. The difference with baseball is that every player is available after HS and after their Junior year. They don't have to declare.
It is May 30th. They have until April 22 to declare for the draft and May 30th to withdraw, as long as they haven't signed an agent. As for why: reasons.
Funny how hockey players can get drafted, have an agent, and still come back to play in school.
mandevillewave
Riptide Level

Post by mandevillewave »

NJwave wrote:
doc wrote:Assistant HC Stewart seems to be working hard at recruiting- I wouldn’t be so quick to minimize this staffs efforts and ability to bring in better players.
I can't speak to his recruiting, but he is the only coach with college experience. There is no denying that defense and clock management has been below par. Most coaches will rely on assistants to make sure they know who is in foul trouble, who are not good free throw shooters on the other team, number of time outs left, etc. Given the issues we have had it needs to be improved. I'm not calling for anybody's job, just saying we need to improve that area and bringing in and additional coach could really help with that.

I suggested Baker Dunleavy because he was an assistant at Villanova, now has head coaching experience and would assume has his father's ear.
Not trying to nit -pik with you NJ but Wilkens also has college experience at Kent State - 1 yr. and Tulane - 2 yrs with Conroy and 2 with Dunleavey.
mandevillewave
Riptide Level

Post by mandevillewave »

NJwave wrote:

Not trying to nit -pik with you NJ but Wilkens also has college experience at Kent State - 1 yr. and Tulane - 2 yrs with Conroy and 2 with Dunleavey.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

doc wrote:I like Crabtree a lot. He will play on the wing and should be a double figures scorer by his sophomore year. I think he will be a really good player.
we can't wait that long :twisted:
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Funny how hockey players can get drafted, have an agent, and still come back to play in school.
cough non major revenue sport cough cough

you think it's a coincidence the two highest revenue generating sports for the NCAA have the most restrictive draft policies?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

you think it's a coincidence the two highest revenue generating sports for the NCAA have the most restrictive draft policies?
That's one way to look at it...
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

How do you look at it?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

How do you look at it?
You think it's a coincidence that the kids that are the most, let's say...disadvantaged have the most restrictive draft policies?