Baseball wins 17-16 scoring 5 in the 9th!!!!

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Baseball wins 17-16 scoring 5 in the 9th!!!!

Post by gerryb323 »

I think the article is pretty clearly stating that a loss to us is devastating. If you want to parse it, obviously it's also saying that it was a horrible loss, as any blown 10 run lead would be
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

gerryb323 wrote:I think the article is pretty clearly stating that a loss to us is devastating. If you want to parse it, obviously it's also saying that it was a horrible loss, as any blown 10 run lead would be
Hmm, Let's see. UH loses to Tulane in football. Coach gets fired. UH loses to Tulane in MBB. Coach keeps his job because team makes NCAA tourney. I better check the UH boards to see what this means for baseball coach. I'm sure it's nuclear meltdown at the moment. As someone noted, today may be one of the best "scheduled" rainouts in the history of Tulane sports.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:I think the article is pretty clearly stating that a loss to us is devastating. If you want to parse it, obviously it's also saying that it was a horrible loss, as any blown 10 run lead would be
Had they lost to us 2-1 do you think it would have been called a horrible or devastating loss? Exactly. Mic dropped
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

I don't think any of us like being the horrible losers. ...I DO get a kick out of being called the horrible loss though. :-D
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

That was fun! More of this please.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

DrHullabaloo wrote:That was fun! More of this please.
If we score 17 we should be winning by 12
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Bottom Line ....... Happy Happiness !!
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

Money quote from Jewett: “He had the green light (to steal),” Jewett said when asked if he sent Artigues. “When he stole third, that put pressure on them. We could flatten the ball out. An error or wild pitch ...”

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked that with two outs and the winning run on second, our coach called for a steal of third. He took the bat out of his hitter's hands. He risked making the third out at third. Another example that our coach doesn't know the unwritten rules of baseball. :green wink: :green wink:

Anyway great win for the wave. TBTwitter has it right. This is one time where caps matter:
"NEVER GIVE UP"[/quote]

How did we win again? Sometimes to get a team jump started you take risks. They had new pitcher & obviously they were rattled & was not expecting a steal. Kudos for them taking a chance b/c sometimes catching a team off guard is all you need.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

BACONWAVE wrote:
Money quote from Jewett: “He had the green light (to steal),” Jewett said when asked if he sent Artigues. “When he stole third, that put pressure on them. We could flatten the ball out. An error or wild pitch ...”

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked that with two outs and the winning run on second, our coach called for a steal of third. He took the bat out of his hitter's hands. He risked making the third out at third. Another example that our coach doesn't know the unwritten rules of baseball. :green wink: :green wink:

Anyway great win for the wave. TBTwitter has it right. This is one time where caps matter:
"NEVER GIVE UP"
How did we win again? Sometimes to get a team jump started you take risks. They had new pitcher & obviously they were rattled & was not expecting a steal. Kudos for them taking a chance b/c sometimes catching a team off guard is all you need.
I think the pink is indicating sarcasm
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

The last time the Coach made that call to steal 3rd with 2 outs, I thought it was a bad move, I guess because it didn't work. This time it worked, so I think that was a great call. (i.e. if it would have worked last time it would have been a great call)

Either way, that is a guttsy call. At least this time we had a tied ball game.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Sarcasm or not, I think we're missing the difference between the runner having a green light and a direct called steal
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

gerryb323 wrote:Sarcasm or not, I think we're missing the difference between the runner having a green light and a direct called steal
Pretty big distinction there.
I do find it interesting that a guy with 5 steals all year has the green light in that situation but it was 7-9 in the order coming to the plate. Don't really have a problem with it for that reason.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Guys, you can sharpen your pencil as much as you want to distinguish the coach's decision Friday night but it still was outside the box. Let's just say the volume and the resulting irony rises here immensely any time Jewett makes a decision against conventional wisdom that doesn't work.

What is most important is that the team and Jewett figured out how to win a game that midway, Tulane had at most (and I'm being generous) a 1% chance of winning from that point. In short they didn't quit Friday night or they would have had 0% chance.

We have plenty of time in June to hold any and all in charge accountable for results of the past two seasons. I doubt I'm alone in gently asking those visibly disappointed by Tulane Baseball 2018 to return the focus to how Tulane from this point can improve and do better this season. It's not over yet and I just don't get the vast amount of vitriol mid-stream even when it's a long shot. (Some bad odds still come through. Just ask Houston and Michigan NCAA MBB observers.)

As a fan, it disappoints to see the self-sniping when the battle ain't done. Just MHO.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I'm channeling Ernie Banks. "It's a beautiful day. Let's win two."
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Baywave1 wrote:Guys, you can sharpen your pencil as much as you want to distinguish the coach's decision Friday night but it still was outside the box. Let's just say the volume and the resulting irony rises here immensely any time Jewett makes a decision against conventional wisdom that doesn't work.

What is most important is that the team and Jewett figured out how to win a game that midway, Tulane had at most (and I'm being generous) a 1% chance of winning from that point. In short they didn't quit Friday night or they would have had 0% chance.

We have plenty of time in June to hold any and all in charge accountable for results of the past two seasons. I doubt I'm alone in gently asking those visibly disappointed by Tulane Baseball 2018 to return the focus to how Tulane from this point can improve and do better this season. It's not over yet and I just don't get the vast amount of vitriol mid-stream even when it's a long shot. Some bad odds still come through. Just ask Houston and Michigan NCAA MBB observers.)

As a fan, it disappoints to see the self-sniping when the battle ain't done. Just MHO.
IMHO It’d be very weird to hold all of our criticisms until the season was absolutely finished.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

visualmagic wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Guys, you can sharpen your pencil as much as you want to distinguish the coach's decision Friday night but it still was outside the box. Let's just say the volume and the resulting irony rises here immensely any time Jewett makes a decision against conventional wisdom that doesn't work.

We have plenty of time in June to hold any and all in charge accountable for results of the past two seasons. I doubt I'm alone in gently asking those visibly disappointed by Tulane Baseball 2018 to return the focus to how Tulane from this point can improve and do better this season. It's not over yet and I just don't get the vast amount of vitriol mid-stream even when it's a long shot. Some bad odds still come through. Just ask Houston and Michigan NCAA MBB observers.)

IMHO It’d be very weird to hold all of our criticisms until the season was absolutely finished.
"And you know what else I didn't like? When he pinch hit in the bottom of the 6th inning of game 14...you guys remember that?"
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Anyone remember when the '01 team rallied twice to beat Georgia State from 8 or 9 down in the 9th? Memories.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

FW wrote:Anyone remember when the '01 team rallied twice to beat Georgia State from 8 or 9 down in the 9th? Memories.
That was awesome.