Tulane Spring Football 2018

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: Tulane Spring Football 2018

Post by wavedom »

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
G-wave wrote: Nothing was shown in the kicking game but we can't be as bad as last year.
Am I the only person who saw the punter shank 2 punts with no rush?

Also, we lined up to kick an extra point and the kicker shanked it - and I don't mean it was wide right, he literally kicked it into the backside of a lineman. I don't think the ball got 5 feet off the ground.

Last year we lost to Cincinnati because we missed a FG. We can't afford to have bad special teams again this year if we want to go bowling.

The good news is the new kickoff rule (you can fair catch a kickoff in the field of play and start at the 25) will hide our bad kickoff coverage as I would think most teams would fair catch it and start at the 25.
I saw all of that too and it is very concerning. We have a new kicker coming in the fall. May he be the answer please.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
G-wave wrote: Nothing was shown in the kicking game but we can't be as bad as last year.

Also, we lined up to kick an extra point and the kicker shanked it - and I don't mean it was wide right, he literally kicked it into the backside of a lineman. I don't think the ball got 5 feet off the ground.

Last year we lost to Cincinnati because we missed a FG. We can't afford to have bad special teams again this year if we want to go bowling.

The good news is the new kickoff rule (you can fair catch a kickoff in the field of play and start at the 25) will hide our bad kickoff coverage as I would think most teams would fair catch it and start at the 25.
I noticed it too but since it was back ups I didn't really pay much attention to it. Merreck made his FG attempt and Block's punts were pretty good.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GSx wrote:What bad kickoff coverage?
2015?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
Evergreen post
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

waverider wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:

I noticed it too but since it was back ups I didn't really pay much attention to it. Merreck made his FG attempt and Block's punts were pretty good.
Still, why are these guys even on the roster if they cannot do the basics in a practice game?
Plan your work, work your plan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Rotorooter wrote:
waverider wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:

Still, why are these guys even on the roster if they cannot do the basics in a practice game?
Maybe they won't be when the new recruits get here in the Fall?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
waverider wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:

You need some camp legs anyway.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
waverider wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:

For kicking and punting?!!! Maybe as try-outs, nothing more. You're not going to get leg fatigue in the Spring. We now know two guys who shouldn't be on the 2018 roster.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

what two guys? I can think of only one kicker who messed up so badly last year that it’s doubtful he’ll get another shot barring a serious breakdown on someone else’s part. Glover, despite a bad miss vs. Cincy, is not that guy. He did his job for the most part despite having few “good-looking” kicks. He was really a first year kicker last year and if he can improve in his second year like a lot of first year players do we can get by with him.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:what two guys? I can think of only one kicker who messed up so badly last year that it’s doubtful he’ll get another shot barring a serious breakdown on someone else’s part. Glover, despite a bad miss vs. Cincy, is not that guy. He did his job for the most part despite having few “good-looking” kicks. He was really a first year kicker last year and if he can improve in his second year like a lot of first year players do we can get by with him.
The two guys cited above who cannot get off a good punt without a rush and the kicker who can't kick over the butt of his OL on an XP. Talking about the Spring Game, not last season.

Either they aren't worth the uniform talent-wise or they were so hungover they couldn't do their (relatively simple) job on an easy stage--and thus cannot be trusted to be good in a game.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

What two guys? You can’t name them, of course, which is a pretty good reason for not posting all this in the first place.

Besides that, you’re wrong. Block and Glover aren’t stars in their roles - this is obvious in the case of Glover - but they have done enough to earn their spots on this roster and what happened Saturday night doesn’t matter. There’s another kicker on scholarship but he won’t play unless there is a dire emergency.

Jesus, I just read the second sentence of your last post. Quit while you’re behind...and that has nothing to do the quality of my argument. You’re better than this.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Rotorooter wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
waverider wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:

For kicking and punting?!!! Maybe as try-outs, nothing more. You're not going to get leg fatigue in the Spring. We now know two guys who shouldn't be on the 2018 roster.
Yes, for kicking and punting. Why are you so worked up about this? It's not hurting us to give other guys a look.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

May this be the biggest problem for our 2018 football team!
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight