Hijacked recruiting thread--miscellaneous

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
SomeBiz
Riptide Level

Re: Kevin Zhang - New basketball commit

Post by SomeBiz »

Tulane has offered SF Keyshawn Bryant, 6-6, 175 lbs, in the 2018 class. Bryant has or had competing offers from more than half a dozen programs, including Wichita State, Memphis, UCF and South Florida.

Bryan is from Winter Haven, FL, and rated as a 4-star prospect by ESPN.
Last edited by SomeBiz on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane class of '79
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

averaged 22.5 pts and 8 rebs per game this season. Keyshawn Bryant.
http://www.theledger.com/sports/2018033 ... nstoppable
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:In depth article on Kevin from last year: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ll-pioneer
Wow, that story makes you think we got a real steal until you get to the last 5 paragraphs where it completely turns around. One minute it's how athletic and quick and talented he is, while working out in front of pro scouts, and then suddenly it ends with:
Still a year from graduating, Zhang will play AAU this year, hoping to test the waters for Division I basketball. If he continues to improve, he could do well in a mid-major program, according to Biancardi.

"The speed of the game and its physicality right now is a bit much for him," said Biancardi, who was at the Dick's tournament. "He needs to be stronger and rebound more."

"He needs to get tougher," Heirman agreed.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

of course the story was written a year ago in April 2017; so maybe he's gotten a bit tougher by now.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: New hoops offer

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:My only concern is whether he fills an actual need.
Need for good players?
Let's hope he is one.
As with all HS players...but we're not exactly swimming with top 200 guys with UCLA/KSU level offers.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

You either have the taste for contact necessary for a rebounder or you don’t. I don’t think his frame is an obstacle. After a year of growth he should be okay; he’s not beating out Sehic this fall anyway. He just needs to be good enough this year to give good minutes when he’s called on. Going by everything he looks like an unimpeachably solid spring addition.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Need for good players?
Let's hope he is one.
As with all HS players...but we're not exactly swimming with top 200 guys with UCLA/KSU level offers.
What I see in the video doesn't match the offers, and I'll leave it at that and hope I'm just clueless about what to look for in youtube video compilations.

I'm really just concerned about whether we can defend anyone. We haven't (for the most part) in MD's two years, save for that guy who's most likely getting drafted.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

NJwave wrote:We are by far the most diverse college basketball team in the country. We could start a line up with a French point guard, Canadian shooting guard, Chinese Small forward, Bosnian power forward and South Sudanese center and have a 6th man from South Sudan as well.
That time-out huddle is going to get very big, what with all the interpreters in it. I hope MD can draw really, really well.
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Rotorooter wrote:
NJwave wrote:We are by far the most diverse college basketball team in the country. We could start a line up with a French point guard, Canadian shooting guard, Chinese Small forward, Bosnian power forward and South Sudanese center and have a 6th man from South Sudan as well.
That time-out huddle is going to get very big, what with all the interpreters in it. I hope MD can draw really, really well.
This is [redacted] level for its stupidity and ignorance.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
This is [redacted] level for its stupidity and ignorance.
Dude, I think he was kidding.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Need for good players?
Let's hope he is one.
What I see in the video doesn't match the offers, and I'll leave it at that and hope I'm just clueless about what to look for in youtube video compilations.

I'm really just concerned about whether we can defend anyone. We haven't (for the most part) in MD's two years, save for that guy who's most likely getting drafted.
Defense and rebounding to put it mildly have been below par under Dunleavy. I’m not sure if any of these recruits change that narrative. They all look like small forwards because of their height with body types that don’t scream they can rebound or keep a player out of the lane. We have an entire roster littered with guys that need to get stronger. Outside of Cornish, Daniels and Sehic nobody looks like they can mix it up. I really like Sehic as a 4. We still need a legit 5 and a fast, playmaking point guard.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

If you look at the photos of Crabtree in his post-grad season at Hargrave Military Academy, he certainly looks like he's hit the weight room and can mix it up

http://www.newsoforange.com/sports/arti ... ge&photo=0

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Connor-Crabt ... -117219310

http://hargravesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6076
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Crabtree looks like an instant contributor, except that he's at a position where we're quite full already. But we should talk about him in his thread. :wink:
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Looking at the way Ryan Smith dramatically improved under Dunleavy's team of coaches, I'd bet Zhang and the other recruits can become more complete players underneath after a season or two of development. If not they will move on like Harris did who for whatever reasons could not/did not significantly improve his non-shooting skills.

As relates to this season (and maybe my expectations are low), I'm just hoping for good role playing from the recruits and the returning folks especially Ajang and Koka to make the difference underneath.

My other obvious guess is MD will hold Frazier's schollie in his pocket until June when Melvin's NBA status becomes definite.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

what has impressed me is the schools we've beaten out for these last two recruits: UCLA, Memphis (under recruiting "phenom" Penny H.), DePaul, etc
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GreenieBacker wrote:what has impressed me is the schools we've beaten out for these last two recruits: UCLA, Memphis (under recruiting "phenom" Penny H.), DePaul, etc
DePaul sucks and has sucked for 15 to 20 years.
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

That last post made me curious so I looked it up. DePaul last made the tourney in 2004, and last made the NIT in 2007. They have been under .500 every year since then, losing 20 or more games every year except two years where they lost 19 games. Even taking their tough league competition into account that’s pretty bad.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

showing my age I guess :-D
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GreenieBacker wrote:showing my age I guess :-D
You are not alone. I’m still seeing Coach Meyer, the older one, busting out of his shirt collar on DePaul’s sideline and he’s been dead for awhile.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:showing my age I guess :-D
You are not alone. I’m still seeing Coach Meyer, the older one, busting out of his shirt collar on DePaul’s sideline and he’s been dead for awhile.
I was really young back then when they were good. The Horizon was a sell out for every game. Sigh
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

long green wrote:That last post made me curious so I looked it up. DePaul last made the tourney in 2004, and last made the NIT in 2007. They have been under .500 every year since then, losing 20 or more games every year except two years where they lost 19 games. Even taking their tough league competition into account that’s pretty bad.
So you agree they are bad? Probably the worst major school basketball program in the area
#cousins don't count
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

GreenieBacker wrote:what has impressed me is the schools we've beaten out for these last two recruits: UCLA, Memphis (under recruiting "phenom" Penny H.), DePaul, etc
Given the follow up posts you should take DePaul out but add k state and BYU and you can still be impressed. :wink:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
long green wrote:That last post made me curious so I looked it up. DePaul last made the tourney in 2004, and last made the NIT in 2007. They have been under .500 every year since then, losing 20 or more games every year except two years where they lost 19 games. Even taking their tough league competition into account that’s pretty bad.
So you agree they are bad? Probably the worst major school basketball program in the area
Yup, subconsciously thinking of DePaul as a good basketball school definitely dates you to being "of a certain age" (as in, over a certain age).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons and Steven Hunter Glory days of 99/2000 came to mind. After that, I got nothin
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons and Steven Hunter Glory days of 99/2000 came to mind. After that, I got nothin
I was thinking Strickland and Aguirre... fuzzy memories of Aguirre granted due to age but I remember the name on the TV amd one of them missed a free throw in the tournament so had to intentionally miss the second.... didn't work out
#cousins don't count