Hijacked recruiting thread--miscellaneous

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Kevin Zhang - New basketball commit

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons and Steven Hunter Glory days of 99/2000 came to mind. After that, I got nothin
Those aren't DePaul's glory days, young one. :mrgreen:
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons and Steven Hunter Glory days of 99/2000 came to mind. After that, I got nothin
I know! That's just all I got!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

It's pathetic that the largest Catholic university in the country can't field a competitive team
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:It's pathetic that the largest Catholic university in the country can't field a competitive team
It's pathetic that a highly academically-ranked, private university that can recruit to an awesome city like New Orleans can't... Ah, nevermind.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:It's pathetic that the largest Catholic university in the country can't field a competitive team
It's pathetic that a highly academically-ranked, private university that can recruit to an awesome city like New Orleans can't... Ah, nevermind.
We've been better than them. Turn that over in your mind for a moment
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

What I'm turning over in my mind is Loyola-Chicago.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Baywave1 wrote:What I'm turning over in my mind is Loyola-Chicago.
Which part? Trying to figure out it was because they're Jesuit or it was because of the nun?
#cousins don't count
SomeBiz
Riptide Level

Post by SomeBiz »

SG Keonte Kennedy, a 4-star prospect (ESPN) from Austin, TX, and formerly signed with Xavier, has reopened his recruiting for this year's class.

He's 6-4, 175 pounds and was previously offered by Tulane in September 2016.

Before signing with Xavier, Kennedy had narrowed his choices to five other schools: Memphis, Michigan, Nebraska, Texas Tech and VCU.
Tulane class of '79
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

SomeBiz wrote:SG Keonte Kennedy, a 4-star prospect (ESPN) from Austin, TX, and formerly signed with Xavier, has reopened his recruiting for this year's class.

Before signing with Xavier, Kennedy had narrowed his choices to five other schools: Memphis, Michigan, Nebraska, Texas Tech and VCU.
Do we have a chance or will he follow Mack or does Hardaway give Memphis an edge? Hardaway is going to bring Memphis back to the tournament and national relavence very quickly. Great hire. It wouldn’t shock me to see 4 or 5 bids next year. Fell is coming back for UCF, Cincy and Wichita State will be good. Houston and SMU should be pretty good as well. Temple brought in Aaron Mckie and supposedly is taking over for Dunphy in a year. Hurley was a good hire but UCONN seems to be declining.

In other words, we need to start getting some of these 4 star recruits or be left with Tulsa, ECU and USF in what I think is a league capable of being great in the next few years.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

NJwave wrote:
SomeBiz wrote:SG Keonte Kennedy, a 4-star prospect (ESPN) from Austin, TX, and formerly signed with Xavier, has reopened his recruiting for this year's class.

Do we have a chance or will he follow Mack or does Hardaway give Memphis an edge? Hardaway is going to bring Memphis back to the tournament and national relavence very quickly. Great hire. It wouldn’t shock me to see 4 or 5 bids next year. Fell is coming back for UCF, Cincy and Wichita State will be good. Houston and SMU should be pretty good as well. Temple brought in Aaron Mckie and supposedly is taking over for Dunphy in a year. Hurley was a good hire but UCONN seems to be declining.

In other words, we need to start getting some of these 4 star recruits or be left with Tulsa, ECU and USF in what I think is a league capable of being great in the next few years.
Wichita State is losing their top 8 guys or something crazy. I wouldn't lock them in as good.
On edit: they have 4 returning scholarship players. 2 that actually played. McDuffie and Haynes-Jones
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
NJwave wrote:

Wichita State is losing their top 8 guys or something crazy. I wouldn't lock them in as good.
On edit: they have 4 returning scholarship players. 2 that actually played. McDuffie and Haynes-Jones
:shock:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote:Hardaway is going to bring Memphis back to the tournament and national relavence very quickly. Great hire.
I hate threadjacking this further, but I'm curious why you believe that. Not being snarky, I honestly haven't followed what's he's done since retiring from the NBA. I do know that I hadn't heard his name thrown around as a hot head coaching name until Memphis hired him. Did I just miss something? His pro pedigree certainly can't be what he's expecting to carry him, as today's recruits were still in diapers when he was playing. He already couldn't outrecruit us on Crabtree...
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
NJwave wrote:Hardaway is going to bring Memphis back to the tournament and national relavence very quickly. Great hire.
I hate threadjacking this further, but I'm curious why you believe that. Not being snarky, I honestly haven't followed what's he's done since retiring from the NBA. I do know that I hadn't heard his name thrown around as a hot head coaching name until Memphis hired him. Did I just miss something? His pro pedigree certainly can't be what he's expecting to carry him, as today's recruits were still in diapers when he was playing. He already couldn't outrecruit us on Crabtree...
Name a great college and NBA player who went home and won. Not Ewing not Mullin and I can't think of anyone else
#cousins don't count
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote:
No problem at all. I would agree that an NBA player from years past might carry little to know weight at the college level (see Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing).

Hardaway has coached a high school team in Memphis to 3 straight high school championships, coached AAU ball as well (I believe for a big time team), has signed a 4 star shooting guard (top 100 recruit), 3 1/2 star point guard and offered the number 50 overall player in 2019 (he coached him in high school).

He has to have tons of connections in Memphis because of the high school coaching and AAU coaching as well as with the high school/AAU coaches who do remember him. There is a ton of talent in that area.

Basically, I don't think he is some guy that thinks because he was a great NBA player he can just waltz in and make an immediate impact (see Mullin and Ewing). He has paid his coaching dues albeit not at the college level.

Memphis attendance is way down thanks to the last two coaches who I personally think are two of the most overrated coaches in the country. He will bring immediate excitement back and attendance
will rise for that factor alone.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

PeteRasche wrote:
No, they're not, but they did make the tournament in 2000 and 2004, winning C-USA in 2004.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
NJwave wrote:

And now McDuffie declared (without an agent)!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

NJwave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
No problem at all. I would agree that an NBA player from years past might carry little to know weight at the college level (see Chris Mullin and Patrick Ewing).

Hardaway has coached a high school team in Memphis to 3 straight high school championships, coached AAU ball as well (I believe for a big time team), has signed a 4 star shooting guard (top 100 recruit), 3 1/2 star point guard and offered the number 50 overall player in 2019 (he coached him in high school).

He has to have tons of connections in Memphis because of the high school coaching and AAU coaching as well as with the high school/AAU coaches who do remember him. There is a ton of talent in that area.

Basically, I don't think he is some guy that thinks because he was a great NBA player he can just waltz in and make an immediate impact (see Mullin and Ewing). He has paid his coaching dues albeit not at the college level.

Memphis attendance is way down thanks to the last two coaches who I personally think are two of the most overrated coaches in the country. He will bring immediate excitement back and attendance
will rise for that factor alone.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Iam1Cent/sta ... 28/video/1
SomeBiz
Riptide Level

Post by SomeBiz »

Twitter activity suggests Tulane is making a push for PG Jordan Jelly Walker, who announced intentions late last year to leave Seton Hall. Walker would have at least 3 years of eligibility if he transfers. He played at the Patrick School with Bul Ajang and Buay Koka.
Tulane class of '79
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

I see that Doug Stewart, Tulane hoops asst. coach, Anthony Wilkins & R. Sposato, the other assts, are all following Walker on Twitter. He'd be a good catch for sure; was a 3-star out of The Patrick School. Tulane also linked via Twitter to an intriguing grad transfer who shoots 3 pters at a 44 percent clip, averages 30 ppg and hits FTs at a 90% clip. Who is it? Shea Feehan of Div. 3 Emporia. Western Ky., Evansville also showing interest as Feehan mulls a step up to Div. 1.
http://www.eurekareddevils.com/sports/m ... _shea_1asv
Last edited by randymc on Thu May 03, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

SomeBiz wrote:Twitter activity suggests Tulane is making a push for PG Jordan Jelly Walker, who announced intentions late last year to leave Seton Hall. Walker would have at least 3 years of eligibility if he transfers. He played at the Patrick School with Bul Ajang and Buay Koka.
From app.com
Walker, a 5-foot-11 Patrick School graduate, was expected to be Khadeen Carrington’s primary backup last season, but his progress was hindered by injuries and clashes with the coaching staff. After missing a month early on with torn ligaments in his hand, Walker returned for the loss at Rutgers only to briefly quit the team two days later because he didn’t see the floor. The situation was patched up after a couple of hours, but he never fully got on the same page with head coach Kevin Willard.

After brief but tantalizing February flourishes — six points and five assists against Marquette and five assists against Xavier — Walker reinjured the hand and missed the postseason. His final numbers: 1.8 points per game with 15 assists and 12 turnovers in 17 appearances. He shot 32 percent from the field, 31 percent from 3-point range and 41 percent from the free-throw line.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

sr wrote:
SomeBiz wrote:Twitter activity suggests Tulane is making a push for PG Jordan Jelly Walker, who announced intentions late last year to leave Seton Hall. Walker would have at least 3 years of eligibility if he transfers. He played at the Patrick School with Bul Ajang and Buay Koka.
From app.com
Walker, a 5-foot-11 Patrick School graduate, was expected to be Khadeen Carrington’s primary backup last season, but his progress was hindered by injuries and clashes with the coaching staff. After missing a month early on with torn ligaments in his hand, Walker returned for the loss at Rutgers only to briefly quit the team two days later because he didn’t see the floor. The situation was patched up after a couple of hours, but he never fully got on the same page with head coach Kevin Willard.

After brief but tantalizing February flourishes — six points and five assists against Marquette and five assists against Xavier — Walker reinjured the hand and missed the postseason. His final numbers: 1.8 points per game with 15 assists and 12 turnovers in 17 appearances. He shot 32 percent from the field, 31 percent from 3-point range and 41 percent from the free-throw line.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

5 for 12 for the year.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

When I first read the story I was really excited because I believe the Patrick School had one of the top ten players in the country on that team and thought this is who it was. It's not. We need a point guard but I assume the kid has to sit out the year. A falling out with a coach always scares me.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

things were a bit more upbeat a year ago when Jordan Jelly Walker signed with Seton Hall.
http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/05/04/jord ... eton-hall/
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Hijacked recruiting thread--miscellaneous

Post by tjtlja »

Randy, looking at Feehan’s highlights I love the way he plays and he is a pure shooter. He is small, but he looks like a fit in our offense. Scored 25 against N. Texas and 17 against Illinois-Chicago. Hope we get this kid.