Tanner Lee

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: Tanner Lee

Post by Johnny Mac »

AO Sig wrote:
TUPF wrote:
PCWave wrote:TUPF you stumped me with your last post. I guess I am too old to understand. :-D
The Kevin Costner movie Bull Durham about minor league baseball players. “Nuke” LaLoosh was the pitching prospect “with a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head” who was taken under the wing of veteran catcher Crash Davis. As importantly, Nuke is scooped up by cougar Annie Savoy who makes it her duty each season to school a young protege in the ways of the world and hopefully send him on his way to The Show.

Every time Tanner Lee throws a Pick 6, I think of Nuke LaLoosh throwing a 98 MPH fastball over the backstop.
I must commend you; educating your colleagues is a very admirable trait, and the more we can do that using references and analogies in sports-related (and other) movies, the better. Once again, we have proven that we are a cut above so many other fan sites, where the majority of the posts are monosyllabic, and any use of creativity is frowned upon (or at least not the norm). Keep up the great work! :-D
Pretty sure most monosyllabic posters on other sites have seen Bull Durham
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Johnny Mac wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
TUPF wrote:
PCWave wrote:TUPF you stumped me with your last post. I guess I am too old to understand. :-D
The Kevin Costner movie Bull Durham about minor league baseball players. “Nuke” LaLoosh was the pitching prospect “with a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head” who was taken under the wing of veteran catcher Crash Davis. As importantly, Nuke is scooped up by cougar Annie Savoy who makes it her duty each season to school a young protege in the ways of the world and hopefully send him on his way to The Show.

Every time Tanner Lee throws a Pick 6, I think of Nuke LaLoosh throwing a 98 MPH fastball over the backstop.
I must commend you; educating your colleagues is a very admirable trait, and the more we can do that using references and analogies in sports-related (and other) movies, the better. Once again, we have proven that we are a cut above so many other fan sites, where the majority of the posts are monosyllabic, and any use of creativity is frowned upon (or at least not the norm). Keep up the great work! :-D
Personally, I give TUPF an "A" for his brief, but very accurate, synopsis of the movie, not to mention the appropriate use of the analogy in this instance. I believe the accurate synopsis is what AO Sig is referring to here.

As we Tulanians all know, brevity is the soul of wit.
Plan your work, work your plan.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Rotorooter wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
TUPF wrote:

Personally, I give TUPF an "A" for his brief, but very accurate, synopsis of the movie, not to mention the appropriate use of the analogy in this instance. I believe the accurate synopsis is what AO Sig is referring to here.

I thank you for picking this up; my comment meant to imply that some on other sites have troubles remembering what they had for breakfast (although they seem to remember who was the quarterback for their favorite team 22 years ago).
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

AO Sig wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
AO Sig wrote:
TUPF wrote:

I thank you for picking this up; my comment meant to imply that some on other sites have troubles remembering what they had for breakfast (although they seem to remember who was the quarterback for their favorite team 22 years ago).
Obviously we are better able to breathe out of our eyelids, like the lava lizards....
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Just another chapter in the continuing saga ...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-a-visit/
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

sr wrote:Just another chapter in the continuing saga ...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FUTURE?! BAAAARRRRFFFF!!! Of what?!
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Rotorooter wrote:

Mediocracy!
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

AO Sig wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

Mediocracy!
Well, I will say that if Tanner Lee is your quarterback you won't have to worry about blowing any leads in the Super Bowl....
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

AO Sig wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

Mediocracy!
If Lee becomes someone’s mediocre starter he will have exceeded my expectations by a zillion.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Jacksonville Jaguars... GM and coaching openings shall appear soon
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Jacksonville needed someone to come in and throw picks if Bortles gets hurt and can't do that himself
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

windywave wrote:Jacksonville Jaguars... GM and coaching openings shall appear soon
If Lee becomes an NFL starter, on merit (no injuries), I swear I will never watch another football game again. It will mean that everything, EVERYTHING, I know about football is wrong. It also means that the NFL teams makes picks based only on measureables and nothing on intangibles and past history.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

He reminds me a ton of Christian Hackenberg from Penn St. or a little further back of Logan Thomas from Virginia Tech. Those guys had measurables, but it was just obvious they had no business at QB in the NFL. At least the Jags didn't spend a 2nd (Hackenberg) or 3rd (Thomas) round pick on Lee.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

According to a Nebraska paper, Tanner Lee is the first Nebraska QB drafted as a QB in 30 years (they had one other who switched to WR before the combine) and the only Big 10 QB drafted this year.

Tanner Lee. You read that right. #Crazy
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

SB Nation has a good overview of the situation

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/4/25/17 ... -can-do-it
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

WaveProf wrote:According to a Nebraska paper, Tanner Lee is the first Nebraska QB drafted as a QB in 30 years (they had one other who switched to WR before the combine) and the only Big 10 QB drafted this year.

I immediately had to look this up because I didn't believe it. Sure enough, last Husker QB drafted was Keithen McCant by the Browns in the 12th in 1992. You'd have to go all the way back to Vince Ferragamo in 1977 (Rams, 4th round) to find one picked in the first seven rounds. Crazy indeed.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

WaveProf wrote:SB Nation has a good overview of the situation

Couldn't have said it better myself. The author must have read this forum, he's so right.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
WaveProf wrote:According to a Nebraska paper, Tanner Lee is the first Nebraska QB drafted as a QB in 30 years (they had one other who switched to WR before the combine) and the only Big 10 QB drafted this year.

I immediately had to look this up because I didn't believe it. Sure enough, last Husker QB drafted was Keithen McCant by the Browns in the 12th in 1992. You'd have to go all the way back to Vince Ferragamo in 1977 (Rams, 4th round) to find one picked in the first seven rounds. Crazy indeed.
I forgot about Ferragamo, who was a transfer from Cal. The only UN QB I could think of in the NFL was Jerry Tagge, but he was early 70's. I think Scott Frost was drafted as a WR, but I couldn't think of anyone else.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Rotorooter wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I forgot about Ferragamo, who was a transfer from Cal. The only UN QB I could think of in the NFL was Jerry Tagge, but he was early 70's. I think Scott Frost was drafted as a WR, but I couldn't think of anyone else.
Frost played safety in the NFL. Crouch was drafted as a WR but got hurt before he could play. Played some CFL QB
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Rotorooter wrote:
WaveProf wrote:SB Nation has a good overview of the situation

Couldn't have said it better myself. The author must have read this forum, he's so right.
That turnover machine comment made me chuckle. And remember. All these comments were based solely on his Nebraska showings. Throw in his Tulane performance and you have to wonder when potential is actually overtaken by game time performance.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I had no issue believing it, they ran the option and their QBs were built like LBs and ran like CBs.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I had no issue believing it, they ran the option and their QBs were built like LBs and ran like CBs.
Or ended up in the big house (and I don't mean Michigan's stadium).
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I knew they ran the option or some version of it for a long time, but they weren't still running it in their last title appearance in 2001 were they? And even still, I know they haven't run it for the last decade+. That's a long time for a major school to have no QBs drafted.

I was discussing this with a fellow alum yesterday and he created a spreadsheet with every QB draft pick since the 2000 draft. The only current P5 schools with no QBs drafted since 2000 are:

South Carolina
Wake Forest
Minnesota
Maryland
Kansas
Colorado

Long story short, Nebraska was in pretty rare company.

Tangentially related, most QBs drafted goes to USC with 8 followed by LSU with 7 and then surprisingly, Louisville with 6.