Time of Wake game

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TU23
President's Circle

Re: Time of Wake game

Post by TU23 »

Re: the grad transfer rule...here's the thing...most of these guys aren't all that good in the first place. A handful of them are, and it sucks for the team losing them to miss out on their last year. However, for every one of those, there are four or five kids like Chris Davenport or Jeremy Peoples who are buried on a depth chart somewhere and just looking for a chance to play some ball. If you look at the list of grad transfers for this year, many (if not most) of them are total non-factors at their current programs.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

TU23 wrote:Re: the grad transfer rule...here's the thing...most of these guys aren't all that good in the first place. A handful of them are, and it sucks for the team losing them to miss out on their last year. However, for every one of those, there are four or five kids like Chris Davenport or Jeremy Peoples who are buried on a depth chart somewhere and just looking for a chance to play some ball. If you look at the list of grad transfers for this year, many (if not most) of them are total non-factors at their current programs.
There is some truth to that, but the Wake player and Diaz were both rising starters. I'm not sore at Diaz either. He used rules in place. I just think they should still sit out a year before they are eligible. It's just like one-and-dones in basketball, and football JCs who enter draft after first one semester. It has nothing to do with being a"student-athlete." Many athletes are students second, but the one semester crowd barely goes to class. I would be for rewarding them with an 5th year of on field eligibility, I.E: sit, play, Play(extra) if they are willing show they are actually in grad school to be a student. I understand that Freshman Have immediate eligibility. They have an argument to play beacuse they are generally at least quarter of the warm bodies on the team.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
TU23 wrote:Re: the grad transfer rule...here's the thing...most of these guys aren't all that good in the first place. A handful of them are, and it sucks for the team losing them to miss out on their last year. However, for every one of those, there are four or five kids like Chris Davenport or Jeremy Peoples who are buried on a depth chart somewhere and just looking for a chance to play some ball. If you look at the list of grad transfers for this year, many (if not most) of them are total non-factors at their current programs.
There is some truth to that, but the Wake player and Diaz were both rising starters. I'm not sore at Diaz either. He used rules in place. I just think they should still sit out a year before they are eligible. It's just like one-and-dones in basketball, and football JCs who enter draft after first one semester. It has nothing to do with being a"student-athlete." Many athletes are students second, but the one semester crowd barely goes to class. I would be for rewarding them with an 5th year of on field eligibility, I.E: sit, play, Play(extra) if they are willing show they are actually in grad school to be a student. I understand that Freshman Have immediate eligibility. They have an argument to play beacuse they are generally at least quarter of the warm bodies on the team.
They've graduated...it's literally everything to do with being a student-athlete.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
They've graduated...it's literally everything to do with being a student-athlete.
Why do they have to go to grad school at all then? :roll: The whole bloody point of the grad transfer rule is to allow those who want to go to grad school the ability to use eligibility if they have any left and not restrict their choice for grad school subjects areas. More specifically if they want to pursue a grad degree not offered at their current school go to one that does offer it. It was made so they could continue their studies without restriction. NOT continue their football career without restriction. However, that is what is has become. All you have to do is sign up for a grad program your current school doesn't offer. It was not a present for graduating!!!
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
murphwave
Coach Level

Post by murphwave »

Here's another lineman that is transferring.

http://www.gatorsports.com/2018/05/uf-l ... raduation/
BS '99
MBA 2007
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Why do they have to go to grad school at all then? :roll: The whole bloody point of the grad transfer rule is to allow those who want to go to grad school the ability to use eligibility if they have any left and not restrict their choice for grad school subjects areas. More specifically if they want to pursue a grad degree not offered at their current school go to one that does offer it. It was made so they could continue their studies without restriction. NOT continue their football career without restriction. However, that is what is has become. All you have to do is sign up for a grad program your current school doesn't offer. It was not a present for graduating!!!
Curious as to what you think you gain by restricting the ability of student athletes to transfer?
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Curious as to what you think you gain by restricting the ability of student athletes to transfer?
Well the person transferring may likely gain nothing. They could gain an extra year or more of grad school paid for. That said the current transfer restrictions on underclassmen aren't in place to benefit the transferring player. Many of the hazards that would be present if there where no restrictions on transferring are the argument. The biggest being player poaching by larger schools with deeper pocket$. The Grad transfer rule was created under the thought of academic hardship in the same way when a school drops an academic program the player may transfer to another schools with that program and be immediately eligible. This happened with a few Tulane players after Katrina, for better and worse. However, even graduating in 3 years is not exceptional these days. Again with 3 years of summer classes and credits that transfer in from high school this is doable. If no rule is in place the Football programs are incentivized to drag degree programs out to ensure that players don't leave after 3 and 4 years. How does that benefit players? I personally don't like it because it treats college football players even more like hired guns. While some are hired guns, most aren't by the time they are upperclassmen and realize they aren't playing pro ball. This hurts them. Program cultures are a real thing and being held up to hired gun expectations while trying to take your degree seriously is a real conflict. If your at a school like Tulane or just take your education very seriously being treated like a hired gun by coaches etc. is a grind on your education. What most do is take on less time and energy consuming degrees. Others just choose to go through the motions on the practice field. Some even walk away from the sport with eligibility left. So I guess the answer to your question is it benefits those committed to the program and degree path the most.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Well the person transferring may likely gain nothing. They could gain an extra year or more of grad school paid for. That said the current transfer restrictions on underclassmen aren't in place to benefit the transferring player. Many of the hazards that would be present if there where no restrictions on transferring are the argument. The biggest being player poaching by larger schools with deeper pocket$. The Grad transfer rule was created under the thought of academic hardship in the same way when a school drops an academic program the player may transfer to another schools with that program and be immediately eligible. This happened with a few Tulane players after Katrina, for better and worse. However, even graduating in 3 years is not exceptional these days. Again with 3 years of summer classes and credits that transfer in from high school this is doable. If no rule is in place the Football programs are incentivized to drag degree programs out to ensure that players don't leave after 3 and 4 years. How does that benefit players? I personally don't like it because it treats college football players even more like hired guns. While some are hired guns, most aren't by the time they are upperclassmen and realize they aren't playing pro ball. This hurts them. Program cultures are a real thing and being held up to hired gun expectations while trying to take your degree seriously is a real conflict. If your at a school like Tulane or just take your education very seriously being treated like a hired gun by coaches etc. is a grind on your education. What most do is take on less time and energy consuming degrees. Others just choose to go through the motions on the practice field. Some even walk away from the sport with eligibility left. So I guess the answer to your question is it benefits those committed to the program and degree path the most.
Doesn't the current rule benefit those committed to the degree path the most?
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

7:00 pm Central on CBS Sports network
Tulane Football to Kickoff 2018 Season on CBS Sports Network
http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/5/ ... twork.aspx
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TU77CAL82 wrote:7:00 pm Central on CBS Sports network
Not too late but late enough to allow working people time to tailgate.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Nearly the perfect starting time.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Just wish it was on a different channel. I literally have access to ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN 3, NBC sports, Fox sports 1, etc. I don't have CBS Sports so it's either buy the extra package or BWWs for me. Still a nice start time though.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Time to start working on my first juju thread for '18. :wink:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Other games:

Saturday, September 8 Nicholls at Tulane 7p.m. ESPN3
Friday, September 28 Memphis at Tulane 7 p.m. ESPN
Thursday, November 15 Tulane at Houston 7 p.m. ESPN

The full updated AAC list here: http://theamerican.org/news/2018/5/31/a ... h=football
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Other games:

Saturday, September 8 Nicholls at Tulane 7p.m. ESPN3
Friday, September 28 Memphis at Tulane 7 p.m. ESPN
Thursday, November 15 Tulane at Houston 7 p.m. ESPN

The full updated AAC list here: http://theamerican.org/news/2018/5/31/a ... h=football
That’s 2 primetime games on the main network. 2 opportunities to make people take notice of Tulane football.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

Outlaw, No Sports Bars in Greeneville? I always love to go into a RI establishment and ask for a channel change to a Tulane game. Except for pro sports not much competition for college football. As long as I am eating, or drinking (not a problem except they don’t serve any jambalaya in RI).

Always strike up a conversation at the bar...Some folks remember 1998... not much else about T, except it is a “good school”....

Going to see Fritz, TD, and the new sailing coach at Tulane reception in Newport on July 22,should get me jazzed for the season, should be able to travel this year, perhaps to Wake,
Last edited by RI WAVE on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

RI WAVE wrote:No Sports bars in Greeneville? I always love to go into a RI establishment and ask for a channel change to a Tulane game. Except for pro sports not much competition for college football. As long as I am eating, or drinking ( not a problem except they don’t serve any Cajun or Creole in RI).

Always strike up a conversation at the bar...Some folks remember 1998... not much else about T, except it is a “good school”....
You have fried seafood and decent local beers. Just take a bottle of Crystal and you're good
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

windywave wrote:
RI WAVE wrote:No Sports bars in Greeneville? I always love to go into a RI establishment and ask for a channel change to a Tulane game. Except for pro sports not much competition for college football. As long as I am eating, or drinking ( not a problem except they don’t serve any Cajun or Creole in RI).

You have fried seafood and decent local beers. Just take a bottle of Crystal and you're good
Yea, you right,
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

RI WAVE wrote:
windywave wrote:

Yea, you right,
I want to eat fried seafoodand drink beer now
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

gerryb323 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54
Because I wanted to see who would be the first to react. :roll:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

RI WAVE wrote:Outlaw, No Sports Bars in Greeneville? I always love to go into a RI establishment and ask for a channel change to a Tulane game. Except for pro sports not much competition for college football. As long as I am eating, or drinking (not a problem except they don’t serve any jambalaya in RI).

Going to see Fritz, TD, and the new sailing coach at Tulane reception in Newport on July 22,should get me jazzed for the season, should be able to travel this year, perhaps to Wake,
Not for nuttin’ but when I was a young unattached naval officer stationed in Groton, CT I would do the 45 minute drive over to Newport on a fine summer weekend and really enjoy myself. Lots of nice restaurants, decent bars on the waterfront, pretty girls, walkable waterfront. I don’t know if the Navy still owns it, but the Officer’s Club on the base there had one of the nicest views anywhere. Hanging out on Cliff Walk on a windy day watching the kite flying made my cares melt away.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

TUPF wrote:
RI WAVE wrote:Outlaw, No Sports Bars in Greeneville? I always love to go into a RI establishment and ask for a channel change to a Tulane game. Except for pro sports not much competition for college football. As long as I am eating, or drinking (not a problem except they don’t serve any jambalaya in RI).

Not for nuttin’ but when I was a young unattached naval officer stationed in Groton, CT I would do the 45 minute drive over to Newport on a fine summer weekend and really enjoy myself. Lots of nice restaurants, decent bars on the waterfront, pretty girls, walkable waterfront. I don’t know if the Navy still owns it, but the Officer’s Club on the base there had one of the nicest views anywhere. Hanging out on Cliff Walk on a windy day watching the kite flying made my cares melt away.
RI - sadly, not really. It's a sleepy little town. Maybe I should open one? But I do go to the neighboring town of Johnson City (my hometown) to do just what you suggest. I sometimes get quizzical looks when I request Tulane games. Often I get asked, "Where is that?". But it's always good to talk TU even if it's just light banter.

TUPF - I doubt JC is as nice as Newport the way you describe it, but it's grown up a lot in the last few years. There's a growing downtown area and plenty of nice restaurants and decent places to hang out. Coincidentally it's also 45 minutes from my house. Looking forward to spending at least the day of the Wake game up there.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:

Fan since '54
Just bringing it up as an idea should be grounds for a ban, imo.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

TUPF - Newport is still a Navy town. Raytheon is here (alot of submarine work for groton) as well as the Naval War College is very active. Officers Club is still there and quite a place. attended one wedding there, quite a venue on Narragansett Bay over looking the Newport bridge.

Newport is also increasing its value as a Sailing venue, just hosted the Volvo Ocean race as the only US Port. New York Yacht Club is like a sailing mecca, hosing the Rolex series, their annual regatta attracts folks from all over. alot of frost biting in the winter - some of the best sailors in the world have sailed Lasers all winter long, here. Quite a few folks from Southern end up here to race at NYYC in the summer. Town still an attraction for tourists with the Mansions on the Cliff Walk and all the bars and restaurants. Regretfully we have lost most of the Newport "working- Fishing" wharfs - to New Bedford and Pt Judith. Still a few but not many. Sleepy in the winter but very alive as Summer approaches. glad a member of the TU Sailing team got me out there in 74 to experience sailing - have had the "bug" ever since.

Save the Bay has been instrumental in cleaning up all of Narragansett bay now that textiles and costume jewelry manufacturing have been lost mostly to Asia, alot of the the pollution has been cleaned up. been here since 84 and there have been alot of changes since I have arrived but much of what you describe is still the scene.