Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:56 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20361
Location: Chicago
gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:
Looks like Tulane signed a transfer WR/KR out of Claremont McKenna College (NCAA Div III) - Johnathon Keller 5'9" 175

Can Div III transfers play right away??

https://twitter.com/jkeller02/status/991878645525311488?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826QkgwPXQ4&feature=youtu.be

Still have to sit out a year unless can get a waiver for some reason


You sure? I thought that's why people went to 1AA so they could play right away

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:19 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3575
Location: Marietta, GA
gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:
Looks like Tulane signed a transfer WR/KR out of Claremont McKenna College (NCAA Div III) - Johnathon Keller 5'9" 175

Can Div III transfers play right away??

https://twitter.com/jkeller02/status/991878645525311488?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826QkgwPXQ4&feature=youtu.be

Still have to sit out a year unless can get a waiver for some reason

I think you are wrong on this one gerryb. Only because I am familiar with Richmond, they get plenty of D1 players transfer to come in and play, the benefit being they can play immediately, without sitting out, because Richmond is a FCS school. A prime example was Michael Strauss, a Tulane QB recruit who spurned us to go to UVA, was fourth on the depth chart, transferred to UR and started the very next season. I cannot imagine that a sit out a year mandate for a lesser category like DIII, which doesn't even allow schollies.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:15 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9998
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:
Looks like Tulane signed a transfer WR/KR out of Claremont McKenna College (NCAA Div III) - Johnathon Keller 5'9" 175

Can Div III transfers play right away??

https://twitter.com/jkeller02/status/991878645525311488?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826QkgwPXQ4&feature=youtu.be

Still have to sit out a year unless can get a waiver for some reason

I think you are wrong on this one gerryb. Only because I am familiar with Richmond, they get plenty of D1 players transfer to come in and play, the benefit being they can play immediately, without sitting out, because Richmond is a FCS school. A prime example was Michael Strauss, a Tulane QB recruit who spurned us to go to UVA, was fourth on the depth chart, transferred to UR and started the very next season. I cannot imagine that a sit out a year mandate for a lesser category like DIII, which doesn't even allow schollies.

I don't think he'll have to sit out (but not sure and I'm not bothering to look it up), but you're talking about a transfer in the other direction.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:50 pm 
Online
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:54 pm
Posts: 2654
I think the fact that he's going from no scholarship to no scholarship makes him eligible. The chances he actually makes it onto the field this year are very small.

_________________
This one belongs to the Wave.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:13 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:18 am
Posts: 18126
Location: Beautiful Dutchtown
I think you don't sit out if you're transferring down the ladder; but you do if you transfer up.
If free transfers were allowed, we'd see a lot of FCS transfers into FBS school for their juniors and senior year.

_________________
A refreshing culture of standards, expectations and accountability is upon us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:40 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6085
Location: Gretna, LA
GSx wrote:
I think you don't sit out if you're transferring down the ladder; but you do if you transfer up.
If free transfers were allowed, we'd see a lot of FCS transfers into FBS school for their juniors and senior year.

But FCS and FBS are both nominally Division I.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:00 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20361
Location: Chicago
 If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:35 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6965
Location: Dripping Springs
Thought I'd take a look at Claremont McKenna's facts - interesting
-- 35 miles East of LA
-- 1300 students
-- $52,500 Tuition & Fees / $16,000 Room & Board
-- 1340 - 1510 SAT Range
-- 30-34 ACT
-- 6400 applicants / 650 admitted / 360 enrolled


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:54 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
GSx wrote:
I think you don't sit out if you're transferring down the ladder; but you do if you transfer up.
If free transfers were allowed, we'd see a lot of FCS transfers into FBS school for their juniors and senior year.

This is correct

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:55 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
One-time transfer exception:
If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

-You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
-You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
-You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:58 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
windywave wrote:
 If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship

So then I guess it would depend on whether he was recruited by his original school

On edit: it would seem he was...http://news.harker.org/harker-seniors-f ... versities/

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Last edited by gerryb323 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:01 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:
Looks like Tulane signed a transfer WR/KR out of Claremont McKenna College (NCAA Div III) - Johnathon Keller 5'9" 175

Can Div III transfers play right away??

https://twitter.com/jkeller02/status/991878645525311488?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826QkgwPXQ4&feature=youtu.be

Still have to sit out a year unless can get a waiver for some reason

I think you are wrong on this one gerryb. Only because I am familiar with Richmond, they get plenty of D1 players transfer to come in and play, the benefit being they can play immediately, without sitting out, because Richmond is a FCS school. A prime example was Michael Strauss, a Tulane QB recruit who spurned us to go to UVA, was fourth on the depth chart, transferred to UR and started the very next season. I cannot imagine that a sit out a year mandate for a lesser category like DIII, which doesn't even allow schollies.

Yes, transfer down does not require sitting out a year. Transfer up generally does

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:16 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3575
Location: Marietta, GA
gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:
Looks like Tulane signed a transfer WR/KR out of Claremont McKenna College (NCAA Div III) - Johnathon Keller 5'9" 175

Can Div III transfers play right away??

https://twitter.com/jkeller02/status/991878645525311488?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826QkgwPXQ4&feature=youtu.be

Still have to sit out a year unless can get a waiver for some reason

I think you are wrong on this one gerryb. Only because I am familiar with Richmond, they get plenty of D1 players transfer to come in and play, the benefit being they can play immediately, without sitting out, because Richmond is a FCS school. A prime example was Michael Strauss, a Tulane QB recruit who spurned us to go to UVA, was fourth on the depth chart, transferred to UR and started the very next season. I cannot imagine that a sit out a year mandate for a lesser category like DIII, which doesn't even allow schollies.

Yes, transfer down does not require sitting out a year. Transfer up generally does

Clear as mud, but I believe this rule says you can do it. From the horse's mouth (NCAA): https://www.athleticscholarships.net/nc ... ptions.htm

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:24 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
sr wrote:
Looks like Tulane signed a transfer WR/KR out of Claremont McKenna College (NCAA Div III) - Johnathon Keller 5'9" 175

Can Div III transfers play right away??

https://twitter.com/jkeller02/status/991878645525311488?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826QkgwPXQ4&feature=youtu.be

Still have to sit out a year unless can get a waiver for some reason

I think you are wrong on this one gerryb. Only because I am familiar with Richmond, they get plenty of D1 players transfer to come in and play, the benefit being they can play immediately, without sitting out, because Richmond is a FCS school. A prime example was Michael Strauss, a Tulane QB recruit who spurned us to go to UVA, was fourth on the depth chart, transferred to UR and started the very next season. I cannot imagine that a sit out a year mandate for a lesser category like DIII, which doesn't even allow schollies.

Yes, transfer down does not require sitting out a year. Transfer up generally does

Clear as mud, but I believe this rule says you can do it. From the horse's mouth (NCAA): https://www.athleticscholarships.net/nc ... ptions.htm

The part I quoted above is directly from the NCAA website. I'm not sure which part of what you linked makes you think he's immediately eligible

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:25 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/cu ... sfer-terms for reference

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:30 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3575
Location: Marietta, GA
gerryb323 wrote:
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms for reference

"If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception."

The last sentence means to me that they can transfer FROM a DII (in this case) to a D1 with a one-time exemption. Again, my interpretation, as it is written it is as clear as mud.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:32 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms for reference

"If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception."

The last sentence means to me that they can transfer FROM a DII (in this case) to a D1 with a one-time exemption. Again, my interpretation, as it is written it is as clear as mud.

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:39 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3575
Location: Marietta, GA
gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms for reference

"If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception."

The last sentence means to me that they can transfer FROM a DII (in this case) to a D1 with a one-time exemption. Again, my interpretation, as it is written it is as clear as mud.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:41 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms for reference

"If transferring to a Division I school, the athlete must play a sport other than football, men’s or women’s basketball, or baseball. The exception is that an athlete can transfers to a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS or I-AA) school and use this exception provided he or she has at least two seasons of competition remaining. In Division II, any sport may use the one-time transfer exception."

The last sentence means to me that they can transfer FROM a DII (in this case) to a D1 with a one-time exemption. Again, my interpretation, as it is written it is as clear as mud.

We are not FCS, as much as the P5 would like to think of us that way

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:46 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
Look, I'd love for him to be able to play right away. I think he should be able to! I just read the rules and interpret. If he can find a way to show he should be eligible immediately, good on him.

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:51 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20361
Location: Chicago
Sigh. If we didn't recruit him and he wasn't on scholarship (DIII so wasn't) he's eligible

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
windywave wrote:
Sigh. If we didn't recruit him and he wasn't on scholarship (DIII so wasn't) he's eligible

"If you were not recruited by your original school"

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:11 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
On the plus side, he can red shirt the year he sits out.

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:14 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4532
Location: Wichita
gerryb323 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Does anyone know of what is happening with Ryan Boyle, the Iowa QB grad transfer with two years of eligibility remaining? Have seen nothing of him going anywhere.

There has been no news that I could find. Would need someone with inside info on visits

His Twitter profile lists him as "Indiana State QB". Also just found this: https://allhawkeyes.com/pages/story/details/2582

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:37 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20361
Location: Chicago
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sigh. If we didn't recruit him and he wasn't on scholarship (DIII so wasn't) he's eligible

"If you were not recruited by your original school"


It's DIII

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TU23 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group