ECU Completes the sweep

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
visualmagic
President's Circle

ECU Completes the sweep

Post by visualmagic »

6-1 final today.
Tulane now 22-27(7-11).
Wavery
Navigator Level

Re: ECU Completes the sweep

Post by Wavery »

There goes the at-large bid...
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

We're 4 games up from Memphis in 9th place and still 1 game up on Wichita in 8th. We can clinch a spot in Clearwater with a series win over Memphis next weekend. (Or, just eyeballing it I think we will)
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Hunter Williams was in the stands at the game today btw
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wavery wrote:There goes the at-large bid...
Tongue in cheek, right?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Someone post that GIF...so there’s still a chance!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

gerryb323 wrote:
Tongue in cheek, right?
I’m sure it is but technically if we would have won these last 10 games we would have had an RPI around 45. Which would have given us a chance for an at-large bid.
On to the conference tournament I guess.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Very disappointing weekend. Bullpen gave up so many crucial walks in games 1 and 2. If we have another losing season, what changes should be made?
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

tjtlja wrote:Very disappointing weekend. Bullpen gave up so many crucial walks in games 1 and 2. If we have another losing season, what changes should be made?
I just don’t understand why for the last two years our bullpen can’t throw strikes and what has happened to Ross Massey. Is it guys not trusting their stuff and trying too hard to paint the corners or coaches harping so much on it that it has become a self fulfilling prophecy? I would rather see a reliever come in and get hit around then what we have witnessed.

I’m not sure how to fix the problem but it must be fixed or we will continue to be bad.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

NJwave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Very disappointing weekend. Bullpen gave up so many crucial walks in games 1 and 2. If we have another losing season, what changes should be made?
I just don’t understand why for the last two years our bullpen can’t throw strikes and what has happened to Ross Massey. Is it guys not trusting their stuff and trying too hard to paint the corners or coaches harping so much on it that it has become a self fulfilling prophecy? I would rather see a reliever come in and get hit around then what we have witnessed.

I’m not sure how to fix the problem but it must be fixed or we will continue to be bad.
weren't people saying our coach hired a dumpster fire for a pitching coach back when he was hired? Pretty sure you don't need to look much further.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote:
NJwave wrote:

weren't people saying our coach hired a dumpster fire for a pitching coach back when he was hired? Pretty sure you don't need to look much further.
I believe so. (Didn’t Jewett’s original guy turn him down when he got an offer to go to Oklahoma?) Our offense has gotten somewhat better though we still strike out a lot. The problem is that we have to score 9+ runs most games to have a chance. Our defense has been less than stellar as well.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

waverider wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
NJwave wrote:

I believe so. (Didn’t Jewett’s original guy turn him down when he got an offer to go to Oklahoma?) Our offense has gotten somewhat better though we still strike out a lot. The problem is that we have to score 9+ runs most games to have a chance. Our defense has been less than stellar as well.
The original guy was Jack Giese. He used to coach pitchers at Oklahoma, but I believe Tulane wouldn’t hire him because he doesn’t have a degree.

I don’t really remember anyone being too upset about the hiring of Tighe Dickinson at the time. Not to say it didn’t happen but I just don’t recall much being said of it.
But when you look at his track record at other schools and now 2 years here it’s not good.

Hitting has improved throughout the year and we’ve seen Hoese, Artigues and others improve and develop at the plate in the offseason .
We haven’t seen much of that with the pitching staff. Gillies got better from last year to now, but who else has?
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I just read a tweet that said the sweep was our first one in 30 AAC series.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

ECU is really good but we just didn't seem to put up any fight. Exams this week then it's just baseball. Hopefully they can find some life.
We deserve so much better
chitown4tu
Riptide Level

Post by chitown4tu »

what happens if we have a 3rd losing season at the end of next year? I know the team needed rebuilding, but 3 years in a row would be pretty tough to take.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

chitown4tu wrote:what happens if we have a 3rd losing season at the end of next year? I know the team needed rebuilding, but 3 years in a row would be pretty tough to take.
He gets fired. Simple as that. This isn't football or basketball
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

gerryb323 wrote:
Tongue in cheek, right?
Very much so...
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

Another loosing season. (mathematically we can have a winning season, but I DON'T THINK SO!) What bothers me even more is that I do not see us doing much better next year, which means another (3rd) losing season:(

Our pitching can use a lot of improvements or changes. For Massey and Bjornjeld to go as good as they were the year we played in Oxford, to the way they played this year tells me one thing, its the coaching. :-D

A number of years ago when Houston hired Todd Whitting as their new head coach, Whitting hired a pitching coach named "Cressand" (sounds familiar). Their pitching for those first 2 years were terrible. Guess what Whitting did, he got rid of Cressand after just 2 years. The following year, their pitching was much better and they started to win again.
Last edited by CletusRelm on Mon May 07, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Team looked lethargic, disinterested yesterday. Hoese imploded at 3rd base on defense (so many errors and gift runs to ECU this weekend overall). Hope the Tulane baseball team takes the charitable deduction on its income taxes, they've been in such a "giving" mode all season.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

randymc wrote:Team looked lethargic, disinterested yesterday. Hoese imploded at 3rd base on defense (so many errors and gift runs to ECU this weekend overall). Hope the Tulane baseball team takes the charitable deduction on its income taxes, they've been in such a "giving" mode all season.
Tougher with the new tax law...
RollWaveRoll
Crest Level

Post by RollWaveRoll »

CletusRelm wrote:Another loosing season. (mathematically we can have a winning season, but I DON'T THINK SO!) What bothers me even more is that I do not see us doing much better next year, which means another (3rd) losing season:(

Our pitching can use a lot of improvements or changes. For Massey and Bjornjeld to go as good as they were the year we played in Oxford, to the way they played this year tells me one thing, its the coaching. :-D

A number of years ago when Houston hired Todd Whitting as their new head coach, Whitting hired a pitching coach named "Cressand" (sounds familiar). Their pitching for those first 2 years were terrible. Guess what Whitting did, he got rid of Cressand after just 2 years. The following year, their pitching was much better and they started to win again.
yes he did, and whiting hired probably the top pitching coach in the country in Frank Anderson! He just jumped ship i believe to Tennessee.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I don’t see Jewett letting Tighe go unless he is forced to or Tighe leaves on his own or Jewett leaves. I think Jewett is loyal to his guys. No way Tulane should have back to back losing seasons. This should not be tolerated by Dannen.
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

If Tulane loses the Memphis series, it is definitely time for a HC change.
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

IM42lane wrote:If Tulane loses the Memphis series, it is definitely time for a HC change.
Anything less than a 4 game sweep is unacceptable!
Victory is never permanent