Robocalls

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
GreenHeart
Riptide Level

Robocalls

Post by GreenHeart »

Link to video: Robocall 'kingpin' fined $120mil

I just don't get it. Has any of you ever done business with a firm as a result of receiving a robocall? Do you even know anyone who has?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: Robocalls

Post by GreenieBacker »

never heard of it working but its something that is just plaguing small businesses. But it must work or they wouldn't keep doing it.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I think it’s like junk mail. They only need about 1/10 of 1 percent to make it worth their effort. There is always some rube who does the robocall answering equivalent of sending in the sweepstakes form, and away they go.

I cut the cord on landline about 15 years ago and never looked back. On my mobile I do not answer anyone not already in my contact list. I figure if it’s legit, they’ll leave a message. Even then, bogus voicemails sometimes sneak through. For the past year the phishing has centered on using my area code and first three digits of my exchange, then -XXXX. They think we are rubes, and some are, or they’d quit trying.

Raise your hand if on the off chance you do answer a call, that it goes something like this.

Phone rings and asks for someone not in your household. You say, I’m sorry, you have the wrong number and then the caller says...well maybe you can help me, and the pitch starts. The last time this happened a few weeks ago I stopped them mid-sentence by laughing at the caller and saying “you really need a better script...now take me off your call list or I will report you to law enforcement” and hang up. Of course, it won’t stop it, but I got a kick out of it.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

its the "You need to update your Google listing..........." robocalls that are just never ending. At least our phone system at work has the ability to block calls, that's been a lifesaver. But until the big phone companies/carriers and firms like Google are forced to intervene and clean up this mess that they're only too happy to ignore, it won't go away.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I get the cell phone spoof calls all the time.. really easy to tell they are not genuine when the first 6 digits match mine.. dead giveway it's not a real call.

Most of the robocalls are recordings trying to get you to say "yes" on a recording so they can sign you up for shiat. Still have the occasional IRS scammers... still trying to figure out when the IRS moved their operations to Bangalore... and called from mobile numbers.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

If you have not heard of him, Google Tom Mabe. A guy who made a living saying all the things we all want to say to telemarketers.
GreenHeart
Riptide Level

Post by GreenHeart »

BTW, there is a free service for landlines that 'looks' at all incoming calls, compares the caller to a known database of robocall offenders, and stops the call after one ring if it is from an automated marketer. It's not a perfect solution. A few calls still penetrate the system, and you get your nap disturbed by the single ring tone before the call is halted. (At my age, interuppting my afternoon nap is done at your own peril.) The service is free and I recommend it. I believe they charge a couple bucks monthly for mobile device call screening (which I do not use).

Here's more info if you're curious: http://www.nomorobo.com/

The best long-term solution is an organized campaign to force carriers to allow the end user to opt-out of robocall reception: https://consumersunion.org/end-robocalls/
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

Saw an article last week about robocalls on cell phones where the spoof your number (as mentioned earlier). The article mentioned an app called Mr. Number. I installed it for the heck of it (I too follow the rule, if it isn't in my contact list I don't answer it). Since I have installed it not one robo call has made it to my phone. I use to get 2-3 a day and for the past week 0. It is also supposed to block spam text messages, but I never got those to begin with so I don't know that works or not. It is a free app too.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

SlidellWave wrote:Saw an article last week about robocalls on cell phones where the spoof your number (as mentioned earlier). The article mentioned an app called Mr. Number. I installed it for the heck of it (I too follow the rule, if it isn't in my contact list I don't answer it). Since I have installed it not one robo call has made it to my phone. I use to get 2-3 a day and for the past week 0. It is also supposed to block spam text messages, but I never got those to begin with so I don't know that works or not. It is a free app too.
Thanks. I’ll check it out. I am getting about the same now, 2-3 a day.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I prefer an app called "HIYA", since I installed it it has practically eliminated Robocalls to my iphone. As for work, I've read that nomorobo is great, unfortunately not all phone carriers (such as the one we use Cox) support it.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:If you have not heard of him, Google Tom Mabe. A guy who made a living saying all the things we all want to say to telemarketers.
have to be careful now when abusing telemarketers... some end up SWAT-ing you... and there has been one fatality from a SWAT-ing gone wrong.. last thing I need is SWAT showing up at my house so I just reject any number I don't know... as much as I'd love to tell someone to go fork themselves
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest