Quarterbacks - We Need You

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Quarterbacks - We Need You

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Man, y'all are crazy.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

I was just posting for the sake of consistency. We need a QB, I've pretty much been posting every transferring dual threat QB
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

Burrow rumored to be considering Florida, Ok. State, and Nebraska.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

gerryb323 wrote:I was just posting for the sake of consistency. We need a QB, I've pretty much been posting every transferring dual threat QB
Me too. Until we are comfortable at QB depth we should be interested in every experienced QB that transfers. I pretty much ruled him out in my post but mostly because of the playing immediately thing plus the article I read called him a pro style QB. If he thinks he’s too good to back up at Ohio State, he isn’t coming to play back up to Banks.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

waverider wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:I was just posting for the sake of consistency. We need a QB, I've pretty much been posting every transferring dual threat QB
Me too. Until we are comfortable at QB depth we should be interested in every experienced QB that transfers. I pretty much ruled him out in my post but mostly because of the playing immediately thing plus the article I read called him a pro style QB. If he thinks he’s too good to back up at Ohio State, he isn’t coming to play back up to Banks.
Or... If he got recruited to Ohio State, he isn't coming to Tulane.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Kids in his position should transfer "down." Florida State? He'd be fooling himself worse than Pete thinks the Tulane fans in this thread are. Nebraska with a new coach might be doable.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

long green wrote:Kids in his position should transfer "down." Florida State? He'd be fooling himself worse than Pete thinks the Tulane fans in this thread are. Nebraska with a new coach might be doable.
Evidently you didn't watch much Frost last year.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

long green wrote:Kids in his position should transfer "down." Florida State? He'd be fooling himself worse than Pete thinks the Tulane fans in this thread are. Nebraska with a new coach might be doable.
Cincy is interested and has Fickell as their coach so he may well do that.
We deserve so much better
long green
Cornerstone

windywave wrote:
You're probably putting weight on the classification of a HS player by the bystanders at the services. If Meyer recruited him, he can probably run some. Frost is establishing a program, he might welcome extra early help.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
windywave
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
windywave wrote:
You're probably putting weight on the classification of a HS player by the bystanders at the services. If Meyer recruited him, he can probably run some. Frost is establishing a program, he might welcome extra early help.
Perhaps I am, but then again looking like he didn't fit there either
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
Former Alabama and Arizona State QB just transferred to USF
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
And after this guy transfers to another P5 and doesn't play there and then tries to transfer again, maybe we'll be on his radar. May we be in a situation by then where we say, "no thanks, we're all set."
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
And after this guy transfers to another P5 and doesn't play there and then tries to transfer again, maybe we'll be on his radar. May we be in a situation by then where we say, "no thanks, we're all set."
Tennessee backup QB transferred to Houston
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
Tennessee backup QB transferred to Houston
You understand my point, don't make me say it by continuing...

Plus, on the other side of this, Arizona State and Tennessee are not Ohio State. Tennessee was 20 years ago but Peyton Manning is already retired from his next gig.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Shawn Burgess-Becker transferred from Alabama to UCF. David Cornwell transferred from Alabama to Nevada. Jonathan Cook transferred from Alabama to Memphis. Raheem Falkins transferred from Alabama to Nicholls State. Derrick Gore transferred from Alabama to ULM. Dee Liner transferred from Alabama to Arkansas St.

There are many facets to recruiting/transferring...proximity to home, relationships with coaches, availability of playing time...life is not as simple as "Player from school x will never transfer to school y".
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote:Shawn Burgess-Becker transferred from Alabama to UCF. David Cornwell transferred from Alabama to Nevada. Jonathan Cook transferred from Alabama to Memphis. Raheem Falkins transferred from Alabama to Nicholls State. Derrick Gore transferred from Alabama to ULM. Dee Liner transferred from Alabama to Arkansas St.

There are many facets to recruiting/transferring...proximity to home, relationships with coaches, availability of playing time...life is not as simple as "Player from school x will never transfer to school y".
I know that.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

It's common that the back-up QB is the second best athlete on the team so coach's often move them where possible to get them on the field like Bradwell.

Best analogy might be Swen Nater at UCLA. He was best opponent Bill Walton had but it was only in practice. Nater never started a game at UCLA because of being behind HOF/POY Walton; but as a pro, he was very productive and led both ABA and NBA in rebounding over a decade-plus career.

We all know Fritz is relentless in looking for talented players. May he find another one at QB.

This roulette wheel of transferring QBs was ever thus and will ever be.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:It's common that the back-up QB is the second best athlete on the team.
It is?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:It's common that the back-up QB is the second best athlete on the team.
It is?
I didn't say it was universal or even majority of time. But yes it is common. Also to paraphrase John Madden, he is the most popular guy in town if the starter is underachieving. That's common too!
waverider
Cornerstone

waverider wrote:Just throwing this out there.

QB Joey Burrow has announced he's transferring from Ohio State. He's listed as a pro style QB so not an ideal fit for us plus he wants to play immediately. He graduated from OSU and has 2 years of eligibility left.
FYI... he chose lsu over Cincinnati. If he does turn out to be good (he went to the last place aspiring NFL QBs should go) I’d rather he be in BR than in our conference.
Tulane Greenbackers

windywave
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:

QB Joey Burrow has announced he's transferring from Ohio State. He's listed as a pro style QB so not an ideal fit for us plus he wants to play immediately. He graduated from OSU and has 2 years of eligibility left.
FYI... he chose lsu over Cincinnati. If he does turn out to be good (he went to the last place aspiring NFL QBs should go) I’d rather he be in BR than in our conference.
Agreed. I want him to be just good enough to keep that caricature of an illiterate swamp dweller as coach a few more seasons.
#cousins don't count
long green
Cornerstone

windywave wrote:
waverider wrote:

Agreed. I want him to be just good enough to keep that caricature of an illiterate swamp dweller as coach a few more seasons.
This I agree with.

LSU fans are desperate if OSU's 3rd stringer is a savior.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

waverider wrote:

Depends what his aspirations are...if he's aiming to be an uninspiring starter in college who somehow parlays that into a decent or better career as a backup in the NFL, he's actually in the perfect place.
waverider
Cornerstone

long green wrote:
windywave wrote:
waverider wrote:

This I agree with.

LSU fans are desperate if OSU's 3rd stringer is a savior.
A coworker from Ohio thinks he will "light up the sec" next season I told him he is more likely to regress under that staff and handing off 80% of the time will make it difficult to light up anything.
Tulane Greenbackers

TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

Trying to reign this topic back in a bit...I know that we are going to be in the market for a starting QB after this year, and we'll likely be looking to go the JUCO route if necessary. One name to remember is Tyriek Starks. Fritz offered Starks right after he got the job at Tulane, but Starks, a Warren Easton grad, decided to follow his ex-coach to Kansas. He's at Southwest Miss JUCO now. Keep an eye on him because he has the dual threat skill set we are looking for.
This one belongs to the Wave.