Fritz contract extension

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Fritz contract extension

Post by windywave »

IM42lane wrote:
ml wave wrote:
CT Wave wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
IM42lane wrote:Why? Really, . . why? For what? Two LOSING seasons ? If this turns out to be true, then Tulane never ceases to amaze me when it comes to rewarding HC's for mediocrity achievement! (Just remember Teevens, Toledo, and some other
First off, we don't know the any of the terms of the extension. Secondly, if you can't see the difference between a Fritz-coached program and Toledo, Johnson, Teevens or Scelfo-coached program 1) you just aren't paying attention and/or 2) I question if you know what you're looking at.

Generally speaking, I get what you're saying about the two losing seasons. However, we have to put things into context. First, WF took over the program that was (again!) a dumpster fire. Second, we have upgraded our competition significantly, both in upgrading our league and OOC. Third, we have improved year-to-year, and this season is Fritz' first with a returning/experienced QB. Fourth, my own eyes tell me that I am seeing an improved product on the field .

I will agree with seeing an improved product over what was there before . I am with you on that point. However, it still adds up to two more LOSING years of Tulane football. This program needs to WIN, and WIN, AND WIN consistently. The FB product MUST create a situation where Yulman Stadium would not be big enough to handle an increased demand for tickets in the South La./New Orleans area due to Tulane WINNING MORE. That would show me definite improvement by this football program.

Now, if we go another two or three losing seasons, then we have reason to gripe about an extension. But right now, I like where we sit and believe that we will start seeing positive results and bowl games. I couldn't say that about Teevens, the end of Scelfo's era, Toledo or Johnson (who disappointed me as his time wore on).
So, let me get this straight. You would really be willing to put up with another couple of years of losing under Fritz (or any HC) before demanding a change? Sorry, but I am NOT that patient. I am too old to wait any longer. Put up a couple of years of WINNING FOOTBALL, and then we will talk about any contract extension.
So let me get this straight IM, if the FB team has a losing record this season, you propose to fire Coach Fritz? You would be out of patience and want to go in a new direction? You would demand a change? Do you seriously believe that is an approach to get us winning football? Because to me it seems ludicrous.
Don't think there's much of a chance of this happening, but if we win 2-3 games (or less), I think you could probably make the argument for a change.
What happens if another 5-7 season happens in 2018?
Situation dependent but I can't imagine a situation where I'd support a 5-7 firing
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
chitown4tu
Riptide Level

Post by chitown4tu »

We were two inches away from a break even season.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

When we go 8-4 this year, we'll be glad we were proactive.
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

chitown4tu wrote:We were two inches away from a break even season.
Less than that!
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: When we go 8-4 this year, we'll be glad we were proactive.
What bowl?
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

IM42lane wrote:
What bowl?
Nevermind, I found one . . . .

Saturday, Dec. 22, 2018 @ Noon (ET)

Birmingham Bowl
S.E.C. vs. American
Legion Field, Birmingham, AL / ESPN

L.S.U. (6-6) vs. Tulane (8-4)
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

IM42lane wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
What bowl?
Nevermind, I found one . . . .

Saturday, Dec. 22, 2018 @ Noon (ET)

Birmingham Bowl
S.E.C. vs. American
Legion Field, Birmingham, AL / ESPN

L.S.U. (6-6) vs. Tulane (8-4)
The BB officials would love that game! No chance LSU agrees to it though.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

If Coach O wasn't already fired before the game, we beat them in that game and they deport the entire football ops building to the Eunice campus. 8)
Unfortunately they will wring every hand that can be wrung to prevent such a matchup.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Our hope is for the AAC champ to take that New Years 6 Bowl slot every season. After that the Bowl situation is pretty poor. Maybe if we start claiming that spot every year better Bowls such as the Liberty will want our 2nd best team.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:When we go 8-4 this year, we'll be glad we were proactive.
I’m setting my personal expectation bar at 8-4 and depending on how the fall goes, may be willing to take the over.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

wavedom wrote:Maybe if we start claiming that spot every year better Bowls such as the Liberty will want our 2nd best team.
Not happening.

The Liberty wanted a tie-in all along, but the P5 told them they either had to have two P5 tie ins or none at all. The P5 is working as hard as it can to make sure that few, if any, bowl match ups are between P5 and non P5. We are lucky to have the 2 bowl tie ins vs P5 that we have.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Never say never. It would be a different landscape if we started claiming that spot every year and our 2nd team was ranked also. The P5's wouldn't want to lose that good Bowl date and have to go to some earlier date. Things change.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

It's P6, not P5!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Roller wrote:It's P6, not P5!
I make a point in saying P6 95% of the time. But it doesn't work when you are talking specifically about how the P5 have blocked others out, and the 6 is part of it. It just leads to verbal confusion and lack of clarity.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

wavedom wrote:Never say never. It would be a different landscape if we started claiming that spot every year and our 2nd team was ranked also. The P5's wouldn't want to lose that good Bowl date and have to go to some earlier date. Things change.
I agree never say never, but to answer your scenario, the P5s would only be "losing that good Bowl date" if they agreed to let the AAC take away one of their spots in the Liberty, which is why they won't
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote:
wavedom wrote:Never say never. It would be a different landscape if we started claiming that spot every year and our 2nd team was ranked also. The P5's wouldn't want to lose that good Bowl date and have to go to some earlier date. Things change.
I agree never say never, but to answer your scenario, the P5s would only be "losing that good Bowl date" if they agreed to let the AAC take away one of their spots in the Liberty, which is why they won't
I was looking at it the other way where the Liberty Bowl says we are going in this direction whether you like it or not. Let Memphis be good a few years and get sent to the very minor Bowls the AAC is aligned with and you may see a change.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

As it is, the AAC has finished ranked ahead of the Big 12 recently. If the second highest ranked AAC team consistently finishes higher ranked than whatever’s Big 12 team they get, then I could see the Liberty Bowl considering a change. The road block to this is that the sec would try to fight it because they already have a hard enough time explaining bowl losses to P5 teams plus the Liberty Bowl is going to do whatever makes them the most money.

I don’t think rankings matter to them. When AAC teams show they will travel as well as Big 12 teams, only then would they consider a change. (Tulane’s last showing in the Liberty Bowl was pretty well attended from what I can remember. We had a lot more of us there than BYU.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Tulane extends contract for football coach Willie Fritz through 2023
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... tract.html
"I couldn't be more excited with the direction in which our football program is headed," Fritz said in a release. "It is an absolute joy to coach at this institution. We have total buy-in from everyone on our staff to our administration, and I know we have a bright future."
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Fritz had agreed to the new contract long before Kansas fired their AD
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

The contract was inked a few months ago. It... just wasn't (supposed to be) public knowledge is all
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

https://crescentcitysports.com/dannen-b ... extension/

Finally an article on the extension.