Ray Ona Embo

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Ray Ona Embo

Post by NJwave »

Just watched a video interview with Ray after workout with Charlotte Hornets. They didn't ask whether he was going back to Tulane. I hope he is just using this for experience which would be great for him and Tulane. If he is seriously considering staying in the draft he is getting terrible advice.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Ray Ona Embo

Post by Baywave1 »

Maybe he has always planned to play pro ball in Europe and is just taking a flyer on NBA draft? If he is leaving anyway, why not?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

This has to either Europe or his family in his ear.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

He must have some sense of what one more year did for Melvin ...
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Wasn’t this discussed pretty heavily when it was announced he was going to draft workouts? I think most agreed these would be beneficial even if he has no intentions of leaving this year. I hope that’s all it is.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

He's coming back. It was announced a couple of days ago.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

FW wrote:He's coming back. It was announced a couple of days ago.
Can you post a link? I remember on May 21st Jon Rothstein tweeted that he was expected to return but then on the 23rd Marc Spears tweeted that he was still undecided.
tumbuuh
Navigator Level

Post by tumbuuh »

visualmagic wrote:
FW wrote:He's coming back. It was announced a couple of days ago.
Can you post a link? I remember on May 21st Jon Rothstein tweeted that he was expected to return but then on the 23rd Marc Spears tweeted that he was still undecided.
The most I've seen is this assumption from The Advocate's article about Jordan Walker transferring from Seton Hall: "The only point guard on Tulane’s roster is junior Ray Ona Embo, who made himself eligible for the NBA draft but is expected to pull out before the deadline."

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... d8544.html
We praise thee for thy future, Alma Mater;
The vista of its glory gleameth far.
We shall ever be part of thee, great Mother;
Thou wilt be where e'er thy children are.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Well tomorrow's the deadline, so we should know shortly
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Don't know how credible this is but someone named Kyle Cohen, who claims to be an NBA reporter, reported on Monday that Ona Embo withdrew from the draft. I would take that with a grain of salt but as gerry noted, we'll know for sure today.
This one belongs to the Wave.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

You have to withdraw from the draft when you have zero chance of getting drafted.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

tjtlja wrote:You have to withdraw from the draft when you have zero chance of getting drafted.
You would think....unless he wants to return to France to play professionally, this would have to be the case.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Jon Rothstein tweeted it 3-4 days ago. He's as plugged in as anybody. Whenever someone hires an agent, or comes back, he tweets it.

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
May 21

Ray Ona Embo is expected to return to Tulane next season, per a source. Entered 2018 NBA Draft without an agent.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

FW wrote:Jon Rothstein tweeted it 3-4 days ago. He's as plugged in as anybody. Whenever someone hires an agent, or comes back, he tweets it.

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
May 21

Ray Ona Embo is expected to return to Tulane next season, per a source. Entered 2018 NBA Draft without an agent.
I mentioned that in this thread. 2 days later Marc Spears had quotes from Ona Embo’s brother saying that he was undecided
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Would he even be a starter on our team if we had a better than average PG? Would he beat out Kevin Sims, Jonathan Stark, Jordan Callahan, or Ricky Tarrant?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Since they're out of eligibility he would beat them out. :green wink:
We deserve so much better
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Guerry Smith just tweeted Embo (as all expected) did withdraw from NBA draft and he will be back at Tulane to run the show as PG in the upcoming season.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

randymc wrote:Guerry Smith just tweeted Embo (as all expected) did withdraw from NBA draft and he will be back at Tulane to run the show as PG in the upcoming season.
Good news. Now if Zhang can get eligible and combined with other recruits and development of Sudanese duo inside, Tulane could have an interesting team next year even without Melvin.

Dunleavy's preferred up tempo style requires depth and Tulane simply didn't have enough players in regular rotation the last six weeks of the last season. Team simply wore itself out.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote:
randymc wrote:Guerry Smith just tweeted Embo (as all expected) did withdraw from NBA draft and he will be back at Tulane to run the show as PG in the upcoming season.
Good news. Now if Zhang can get eligible and combined with other recruits and development of Sudanese duo inside, Tulane could have an interesting team next year even without Melvin.

Dunleavy's preferred up tempo style requires depth and Tulane simply didn't have enough players in regular rotation the last six weeks of the last season. Team simply wore itself out.
We didn't have enough in the rotation because MD chose not to play them. There were some very curious uses of players, as we all know. Slater, for one, sure looked like he deserved more time during the brief times we did see him. But instead we rode the 7 man rotation until utter exhaustion rode us right out of contention.

I think it's interesting you chose to mention Zhang. Of the new recruits, he's the one I expect to see the least time - a combination of looking like he needs a college weight room and also playing a position that MD has been very stubborn to share amongst many folks (I'm expecting he'll be a 4).
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

We didn't have enough in the rotation because MD chose not to play them. There were some very curious uses of players, as we all know. Slater, for one, sure looked like he deserved more time during the brief times we did see him. But instead we rode the 7 man rotation until utter exhaustion rode us right out of contention.

I think it's interesting you chose to mention Zhang. Of the new recruits, he's the one I expect to see the least time - a combination of looking like he needs a college weight room and also playing a position that MD has been very stubborn to share amongst many folks (I'm expecting he'll be a 4).
I don't know why Slater did not play more. He didn't agree either apparently and that's why he left. It wasn't like Ray O was burning up the court. As concerns Zhang, I'm just hoping he can help roster numbers. He obviously has raw talent. He may very well be the Koka of this year's team and simply needs to beef up for a (redshirt?) season in an intense and sophisticated training regime.

Meanwhile Dunleavy is not going to change his style so we truly need nine or so in the regular rotation or we may see another February deflation (literally.)
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Pete, that's a great synopsis of last year and jives with my own observations. And why I still think the jury is out on the Dunleavy experiment. I thought Slater showed more than enough talent to deserve more playing time. Showed me way more han Barnett who was hurt early but who Dunleavy apparently loves. All I can think is that MD loves to play big Guards which is all well and good but still kinda' limits your recruiting at the Guard spot.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Zhang definitely needs time in the weight room, but I was floored when I saw his Nike Hoops Summit highlights below. He looks a lot more athletic than I gave him credit for. I think he'd get abused on defense right now, which is why he may not play as much, but I think he's going to be a good player eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BarWpnoWu0Q
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

GreenieBacker wrote:We didn't have enough in the rotation because MD chose not to play them. There were some very curious uses of players, as we all know. Slater, for one, sure looked like he deserved more time during the brief times we did see him. But instead we rode the 7 man rotation until utter exhaustion rode us right out of contention.

Pete, that's a great synopsis of last year and jives with my own observations. And why I still think the jury is out on the Dunleavy experiment. I thought Slater showed more than enough talent to deserve more playing time. Showed me way more han Barnett who was hurt early but who Dunleavy apparently loves. All I can think is that MD loves to play big Guards which is all well and good but still kinda' limits your recruiting at the Guard spot.
Agreed. Yet we just got Walker who definitely doesn't fit the big guard mold.

BTW, it's Barrett.
We deserve so much better
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Sorry...but Slater never impressed me. Didn't think he offered that much at the AAC level. shot less than 25% from 3-pt range and that shoulda been his main contribution as an off the bench 3-pt threat. He just wasn't one.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

randymc wrote:Sorry...but Slater never impressed me. Didn't think he offered that much at the AAC level. shot less than 25% from 3-pt range and that shoulda been his main contribution as an off the bench 3-pt threat. He just wasn't one.
I'm with you
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count