Dickinson resigns as Tulane pitching coach

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Re: Dickinson resigns as Tulane pitching coach

Post by AO Sig »

windywave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:If Daniel Latham returns, will we be able to get sponsorship from Tootsie Roll pop people?
I don't think they went to Tulane, at least the ones my generation.
I guess this shows that I am the "old geezer" category.

When Daniel was a closer at Tulane, his mother had a cloth bag that she filled with tootsie roll pops. She would distribute them to fans sitting near them during the seventh inning stretch; we all had to look for an intact "Indian Chief" head on the inside of the wrapper, which they felt was good luck.

I was honored to get one of the pops when I saw Tulane play ECU in Greenville the spring after Katrina ( the other parents there were amazing, showed the calibre of player we had, not just in terms of ability to play, but as human beings). My wrapper had an intact indian head. He came in in the eighth, and we ended up scoring the winning runs in the ninth. I remember that when Daniel came in his mother went under the stands; she was too nervous to watch him. When I asked where she was going, she answered, "to pray."

The next year we went to the Kingsport Mets playing Elizabethton. My daughter was proudly wearing her Tulane T-shirt; she received an autographed baseball from Daniel, signing it with his Tulane number. She spoke warmly of getting to meet Daniel, and how nice he was.

I would love it if we were to get Daniel to join as a coach; he has great baseball sense, and is one quality person that would be a great asset. Just my 2 cents
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:I haven’t seen that. Just because after the season some players have said that they think he was a bad coach doesn’t mean they didn’t give him a chance in the beginning. It doesn’t even mean that they didn’t listen to him.
Uh huh :roll:
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I don’t know what the eye roll is about. What do you think is more likely:
A group of players deciding that they hate their new coach and they aren’t going to listen to him before they even know him or have given him a chance
Or
They gave him a chance and came to the conclusion that he didn’t know what he was doing and then they voiced that opinion.

What would be the reasoning for never giving him a chance? They were all around when Pierce came in as a new coach and they all gave him a chance. Same kids.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

AO Sig wrote:
windywave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:If Daniel Latham returns, will we be able to get sponsorship from Tootsie Roll pop people?
I don't think they went to Tulane, at least the ones my generation.
I guess this shows that I am the "old geezer" category.

When Daniel was a closer at Tulane, his mother had a cloth bag that she filled with tootsie roll pops. She would distribute them to fans sitting near them during the seventh inning stretch; we all had to look for an intact "Indian Chief" head on the inside of the wrapper, which they felt was good luck.

I was honored to get one of the pops when I saw Tulane play ECU in Greenville the spring after Katrina ( the other parents there were amazing, showed the calibre of player we had, not just in terms of ability to play, but as human beings). My wrapper had an intact indian head. He came in in the eighth, and we ended up scoring the winning runs in the ninth. I remember that when Daniel came in his mother went under the stands; she was too nervous to watch him. When I asked where she was going, she answered, "to pray."

The next year we went to the Kingsport Mets playing Elizabethton. My daughter was proudly wearing her Tulane T-shirt; she received an autographed baseball from Daniel, signing it with his Tulane number. She spoke warmly of getting to meet Daniel, and how nice he was.

I would love it if we were to get Daniel to join as a coach; he has great baseball sense, and is one quality person that would be a great asset. Just my 2 cents
His Mother and his Aunt were always in the forefront of the cheering, wherever the team played. He and his family are green, through and through. I'd love to see him back in a Green Wave uniform.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Visual, you make too much sense for some. Everyone thinks someone has some sort of agenda these days. These guys posting this stuff have all worked for a new manager who they wanted to see succeed and at some point came to the conclusion their boss didn’t quite know what he was doing or it was time to move on. Like my son said, if he played that poorly in year one they would have reduced his scholarship money. If it happened again in year two, they basically want you to transfer. Everyone is accountable, even the coaches.

I have been consistent. Year one was a train wreck from fall ball to the conclusion of the season. Year two was better in terms of development for everyone concerned, but the results were worst. After not pitching Trent against ECU in the eighth inning, I re-evaluated the season and I just don’t think this staff is a fit. I hope they prove me wrong. I also think we would be searching for a new coach if it weren’t for the buyout. The interest just isn’t there in the program to pull the plug. So as a fan, I hope he surrounds himself with baseball guys like Schloss, Kingston, etc. and continues to evolve. He is our coach for now and we as fans can do nothing else but hope he turns it around in Year 3.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:I don’t know what the eye roll is about. What do you think is more likely:
A group of players deciding that they hate their new coach and they aren’t going to listen to him before they even know him or have given him a chance
Or
They gave him a chance and came to the conclusion that he didn’t know what he was doing and then they voiced that opinion.

What would be the reasoning for never giving him a chance? They were all around when Pierce came in as a new coach and they all gave him a chance. Same kids.
The former because he was a hardass and walked in day one with rule.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tjtlja wrote:
I have been consistent.
:?:
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:I don’t know what the eye roll is about. What do you think is more likely:
Or

The former because he was a hardass and walked in day one with rule.
That’s stupid because Pierce is way more of a hardass than Jewett. I don’t think anyone would describe Jewett as a hardass.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Pierce was an excellent coach and his in game decision making was terrific. He really had a great feel for pitchers as that was his background. Sean handled the hitting. Miller and Haig were great compliments to that staff. He was tough and demanded your full attention when it came to the small details that win games. The comparisons to the current staff were very different in just about every aspect. In addition, Pierce did have an advantage in having great success at Sam Houston.

Like I have said, Coach TJ needs to surround himself with a couple of home run hires. He relies a lot more on his assistants during in game decisions which necessitates quality baseball minds.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

yep, these next hires will determine Jewett's fate at Tulane. who we looking at for pitching coach?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

randymc wrote:yep, these next hires will determine Jewett's fate at Tulane. who we looking at for pitching coach?
False. Winning frick games is how he keeps his job. Three years is plenty of time to be over .500.
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

GSx wrote:
waverider wrote:
WaveProf wrote:So, as most suspected, Jewett will be back for year three.
I don't think that was a question in anyone's mind.
Maybe it was a hope, more than a question, that we would be proactive for a change.
This does not solve the problems of errors, baserunning, lackadaisical play, etc.
TU23 wrote:A change was necessary for everyone involved. I wonder whether Daniel Latham would be interested in returning to Tulane.
For goodness sakes.
Okay, maybe it would be too risky for him in these lame duck circumstances
But as a general principle, of course he would.
I wouldn't board a sinking ship, unless I thought I'd still be on it the when it resurfaced
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:
GSx wrote:
waverider wrote:
Maybe it was a hope, more than a question, that we would be proactive for a change.
This does not solve the problems of errors, baserunning, lackadaisical play, etc.
TU23 wrote:A change was necessary for everyone involved. I wonder whether Daniel Latham would be interested in returning to Tulane.
For goodness sakes.
I wouldn't board a sinking ship, unless I thought I'd still be on it the when it resurfaced
TUPF can discuss that situation
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
GSx wrote:
waverider wrote:
For goodness sakes.
Number of surfaces = number of dives is all that matters.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
FW wrote:
GSx wrote:
waverider wrote:
For goodness sakes.
Number of surfaces = number of dives is all that matters.
I figured we had a a lot of posters on here with experience who could decipher my post. I lost myself half of the way through. By the way, Stetson is hosting a regional, and last time I checked, their a private school.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

Or

You may want to ask your buddy what happened on their West Coast trip last year......
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

How about you just go ahead and tell us
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

GSx wrote:
For goodness sakes.
It's not a sure thing that all ex-Tulane players want to come back to campus. The circumstances have everything to do with it. If you believe Jewett is going to get fired after next year or if you feel like this staff is utterly devoid of talent, there's no way you jump from SLU to Tulane right now. You wait for a better opportunity, which will undoubtedly come if he continues to produce good pitching staffs.
This one belongs to the Wave.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

visualmagic wrote:How about you just go ahead and tell us
How about everyone in this conversation putting all their cards on the table?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

long green wrote:
visualmagic wrote:How about you just go ahead and tell us
How about everyone in this conversation putting all their cards on the table?
Have I implied that I’m withholding something? I’m really not.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

TU23 wrote:
GSx wrote:
For goodness sakes.
It's not a sure thing that all ex-Tulane players want to come back to campus. The circumstances have everything to do with it. If you believe Jewett is going to get fired after next year or if you feel like this staff is utterly devoid of talent, there's no way you jump from SLU to Tulane right now. You wait for a better opportunity, which will undoubtedly come if he continues to produce good pitching staffs.
You rang