Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Tulane vs Ohio State
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:28 am 
President's Circle

Just bought four first class tickets to Columbus OH!! All three boys and I will be cheering the Green Wave on at the shoe...Roll D@mn Wave! :jerry:

Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Ohio State
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:35 am 
Emerald Circle

greenaub wrote:
Just bought four first class tickets:

Nice back door brag

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

Since I am cheap, I have never actually paid for domestic first class airline tickets. I was fortunate to have worked for companies that always paid for the outrageously expensive overseas business class tickets and sometimes domestic first class was thrown in as part of the ticket—say if I flew from the East Coast to Australia. Otherwise, I’ve never seen the cost-benefit to pay for a domestic first class ticket but gladly accepted upgrades when I was double executive platinum peel your grapes status.

I do miss that uber pampering on a long haul Airbus A340 business class though. The Turkish Air business lounge in Istanbul was particularly impressive and those old Singapore Air BigTop 747s to Singapore were wonderful. I never had the reason to fly the one they say is tops: Emirates. But now that I am retired it’s not going to happen. I’m cheap.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:23 pm 
Regent's Circle

just learned this week my potential hosts in Columbus will be in Pebble Beach that weekend.. I am now listed as "questionable" on the injury report.. might have to be a game time decision

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:43 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
just learned this week my potential hosts in Columbus will be in Pebble Beach that weekend.. I am now listed as "questionable" on the injury report.. might have to be a game time decision

You know they'll be gone, just break in

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:34 pm 
Cornerstone

TUPF wrote:
Since I am cheap, I have never actually paid for domestic first class airline tickets. I was fortunate to have worked for companies that always paid for the outrageously expensive overseas business class tickets and sometimes domestic first class was thrown in as part of the ticket—say if I flew from the East Coast to Australia. Otherwise, I’ve never seen the cost-benefit to pay for a domestic first class ticket but gladly accepted upgrades when I was double executive platinum peel your grapes status.

I do miss that uber pampering on a long haul Airbus A340 business class though. The Turkish Air business lounge in Istanbul was particularly impressive and those old Singapore Air BigTop 747s to Singapore were wonderful. I never had the reason to fly the one they say is tops: Emirates. But now that I am retired it’s not going to happen. I’m cheap.
Just figure out the hourly rate equivalent of your retirement income and multiply that by the duration of your flight. :-D

;-)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:36 pm 
Cornerstone

Johnny Mac wrote:
Convince your "potential hosts" that they need a house-sitter while they're gone, and that you know a very dependable (?) one who'll do it for free.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:40 pm 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

So we're all invited to stay at their house?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

So we're all invited to stay at their house?

If we all crash there I'm going streaking

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:03 pm 
Regent's Circle

I might have a commitment that weekend; have to be in Washington DC that weekend.

If so, planning for the UAB game the weekend before.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

i am hoping to go to the game.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:19 pm 
President's Circle

AO Sig wrote:
I might have a commitment that weekend; have to be in Washington DC that weekend.

Committment and DC do not go together.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:26 pm 
Regent's Circle

I am on the Government Affairs committee of my medical organization; we have a day-long meeting, followed by two days of capitol hill meetings. Two visits a year for meetings on health care issues; doing it for my patients.

Believe me, I have a colleague on faculty at OSU that has offered me a place to stay (former ACR presidents don't have to do the advocacy visits any more). Not sure I can arrange it...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:56 pm 
Navigator Level

The Greenbackers have about 30 members making the trip

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:59 am 
Emerald Circle

Anyone have any idea of a ballpark of when we'd expect tickets to come available for the game, especially for non-season ticket holders? If anyone sees such announcements, please, PLEASE post here so those interested can purchase immediately. I expect we'll get plenty of alerts, but it sounds like a lot of YOGWFers want to go and I'd hate for folks to not get tickets.

(yes, speaking selfishly, but also hoping to meet those of you from other far-flung places)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:33 am 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Anyone have any idea of a ballpark of when we'd expect tickets to come available for the game, especially for non-season ticket holders? If anyone sees such announcements, please, PLEASE post here so those interested can purchase immediately. I expect we'll get plenty of alerts, but it sounds like a lot of YOGWFers want to go and I'd hate for folks to not get tickets.

(yes, speaking selfishly, but also hoping to meet those of you from other far-flung places)

Last year, the Oklahoma tickets didn't go up for sale until like a week before the game. I had spoken to them several times leading up to that and they assured me there would be plenty. The thing is, in those huge stadiums, they can allot like 5000 tickets to The visitor easily, and we won't use all of those.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Last year, the Oklahoma tickets didn't go up for sale until like a week before the game. I had spoken to them several times leading up to that and they assured me there would be plenty. The thing is, in those huge stadiums, they can allot like 5000 tickets to The visitor easily, and we won't use all of those.
Thanks.

I've been told by OSU fans around here that there will be plenty of scalp tickets available "for an opponent like Tulane", but I'd rather be sitting in our section.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:14 pm 
Navigator Level

AO Sig wrote:

The band will be at the UAB game this year, so not a bad choice.

Thou wilt be where e'er thy children are.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:28 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

Here you are -
http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/5/29/tulane-football-away-game-tickets-now-available.aspx

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

sr wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Here you are -
http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/5/29/tulane-football-away-game-tickets-now-available.aspx

Well, that was weird coincidental timing, that I asked today and they released them today...

I've sent off a bevy of emails, texts, and messages to old friends to see who is coming and hopefully order a block of tickets. I'm curious how the "priority based on points" (since I gotta be low on that list) will work if I order like 30 or 40 tickets.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:02 am 
Regent's Circle

Here’s an idea for those with time on their hands, like me:

Go to the UAB game, spend a few days in the Appalachains, get to Columbus by Thursday , seethe Ohio St. Game.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:02 am 
Emerald Circle

In case anyone is wondering, Birmingham to Columbus is about a 9 to 10 hour drive if you are only stopping for gas and restrooms. But you'd have a week to do it. :-D

Literally, if the UAB game were anywhere other than butted up against Ohio State, I'd be at both. But I can't do the drive to Birmingham one weekend (even with the free lodging I'd have) and then the insanity that will be the Ohio State game (likely hosting old friends at our house) the following week.

P. S. Both cities are served by Southwest Airlines...

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:04 am 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
sr wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Here you are -

Well, that was weird coincidental timing, that I asked today and they released them today...

I've sent off a bevy of emails, texts, and messages to old friends to see who is coming and hopefully order a block of tickets. I'm curious how the "priority based on points" (since I gotta be low on that list) will work if I order like 30 or 40 tickets.

It's also weird considering the timing of OU last year. But, good, I guess!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:35 am 
Coach Level

Just bought 4 tickets to the Horseshoe! Looking forward to seeing many of you there! Roll Wave!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:20 pm 
President's Circle

Look forward to seeing yall there!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next