***Official Soccer Thread***

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
FW
Cornerstone

Re: ***Official Soccer Thread***

Post by FW »

MattK wrote:hey, does missing the world cup mark the end of the Wondo era? that's a silver lining....
He's never going away. Ever.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

We thought it was bad when USA whiffed against Trinidad and Tobago but look at the Italians. What will Putin do?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... d-cup-exit
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

City beats the team that is located outside of the City of Manchester 2-1 on derby day. City now 11 points clear of United top of the table before Christmas.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Question for the futbol experts here. My daughter was doing some end of the year housecleaning and came across a Barcelona FC jersey given to her by a former Spanish beau.

Is it worth anything? Otherwise she was going to put it in the donation pile.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:Question for the futbol experts here. My daughter was doing some end of the year housecleaning and came across a Barcelona FC jersey given to her by a former Spanish beau.

Is it real or replica?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:Question for the futbol experts here. My daughter was doing some end of the year housecleaning and came across a Barcelona FC jersey given to her by a former Spanish beau.

Is it real or replica?
It’s a smaller size so it has to be a replica. High quality, though.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:

Is it real or replica?
It’s a smaller size so it has to be a replica. High quality, though.
Burn it
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I'm still not over not qualifying, but there are a lot of promising youngsters called in for the Paraguay friendly, and a lot that are playing (actually playing) in Europe, and not MLS.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland/DEN; 5/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 1/0)

DEFENDERS (8): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Ipswich Town/ENG; 1/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 14/1), Matt Miazga (Vitesse/NED; 4/1), Shaq Moore (Levante/ESP; 0/0), Erik Palmer-Brown (Kortrijk/BEL; 0/0), Antonee Robinson (Bolton Wanderers/ENG; 0/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 15/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 49/0)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Kekuta Manneh (Pachuca/MEX; 0/0)*, Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 1/1), Darlington Nagbe (Atlanta United FC; 24/1), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 2/0), Kenny Saief (Anderlecht/BEL; 1/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 3/0), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA; 0/0)

FORWARDS (3): Andrija Novakovich (Telstar/NED; 0/0), Rubio Rubin (Club Tijuana/MEX; 4/0), Bobby Wood (Hamburg/GER; 36/10)
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

We looked a lot better in the midfield. Defense was mostly okay, though Paraguay didn't press very hard. GK offered a few terrifying moments; not encouraging. We looked really poor attempting to finish. That was miserable. And we were totally outplayed in the air all over the field That was disappointing.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Not making subs is what upset me the most. It's a damn friendly with no WC this year. Use all 6 subs. We had a lot of 18 and 19 year olds who could have received their first caps, but didn't. I'm glad Weah got to play, if only for 5 minutes, and I'm glad our younger players are going to Europe again. This cycle will be lead by European based players like Pulisic (Dortmund), Weah (PSG), McKinnie (Schalke), Miazga (Chelsea), Carter-Vickers (Spurs), Moore, (Levante), Wood (Hamburger), Sargent (Bremen), etc.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I wish we were releasing a World Cup roster, but here's the roster to face Bolivia in a friendly. Yay.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland/DEN; 5/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 2/0)

DEFENDERS (8): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur/ENG; 2/0), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 14/1), Matt Miazga (Chelsea/ENG; 5/1), Matthew Olosunde (Manchester United/ENG; 0/0), Erik Palmer-Brown (Manchester City/ENG; 0/0), Antonee Robinson (Everton/ENG; 0/0), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna/MEX; 16/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 2/0)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Joe Corona (Club Tijuana/MEX; 20/3), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland/ENG; 3/0), Julian Green (Stuttgart/GER; 8/3), Alejandro Guido (Club Tijuana/MEX; 0/0), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 1/1), Keaton Parks (Benfica/POR; 0/0), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 20/9), Rubio Rubin (Club Tijuana/MEX; 5/0), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA; 1/0)

FORWARDS (2): Andrija Novakovich (Reading/ENG; 1/0), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 0/0)
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

What happened to the German-American striker that Jurgen called up for last World Cup? I think he scored a goal in the last WC game.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

LawGreenie wrote:What happened to the German-American striker that Jurgen called up for last World Cup? I think he scored a goal in the last WC game.
Julian Green, he's there, I highlighted him.

Now, a lot of these guys are on loan, or don't play for the first team, and are very young but we have guys on PSG, Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs, Dortmund, etc. We've never had that before. If these guys pan out, we'll be good in the future.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

They were raw, raw, raw, but there is a lot to like in that group. Notwithstanding the atrociously poor play of Bolivia.

But if these kids individually don't look a lot better next year, we still have development issues.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Page 94 and I am making my first ever post in this thread... I guess I have to participate now, thanks to this...
https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/652201002

Or is this thread only for international competition and MLS doesn't matter? :lol:
(I've honestly never even read it)
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

PeteRasche wrote:Page 94 and I am making my first ever post in this thread... I guess I have to participate now, thanks to this...

Or is this thread only for international competition and MLS doesn't matter? :lol:
ALERT!!!

BAN HIM FROM THIS THREAD!!!! HOW DARE HE INVADE THIS SUBJECT???

SARCASM!
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Look, I know Bolivia fielded a team full of guys they found at Walmart, but you can't help but be excited about guys like Weah, McKinnie, Sargent, Robinson, Zimmerman and a few others.

Also, Pete, please talk MLS, I talk NPSL, since the local Chattanooga FC has the highest attendance in that league and higher than a lot of USL clubs, this season tied FC Dallas in a friendly and beat Seattle's U-23 team 3-1 in a friendly.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

FW wrote:Also, Pete, please talk MLS, I talk NPSL, since the local Chattanooga FC has the highest attendance in that league and higher than a lot of USL clubs, this season tied FC Dallas in a friendly and beat Seattle's U-23 team 3-1 in a friendly.
Alright, you asked for it.

FC Cincinnati started three years ago and has been an unbelievable phenomenon. Like, even the people here involved in it can't explain it. I resisted trying to discuss it here previously because I figured y'all would scoff at minor league soccer, but it's been called the best soccer atmosphere in the US by many a visiting pro, former pro, or "announcer with the pedigree to know". They average nearly 22,000 (highest average of any non-mls soccer team, would rank them 5th or 6th if they were in the MLS now). They typically cover the upper deck of the stadium and call it a sellout when they are around 25,000, but have opened it for certain opponents and drawn 35,000+.

The talk about them moving up to mls started last year when they beat three straight mls teams (Columbus, Chicago, Miami) to reach the semis of the the US Open Cup, falling 3-2 to New York in the semis. Their bid likely would have come sooner except they were needing a new stadium, as they've been playing in Nippert stadium at University of Cincinnati, which does not have legal MLS dimensions. After about 6 to 8 months of red tape and neighborhood meetings and political mumbo jumbo, they squared away a deal with one of about 5 suggested sites, and after that it only took a few weeks for Tuesday's official announcement to arrive. They begin mls play next year, still at Nippert, until the new stadium is complete.

I've been to the games and it's a blast. But folks are all worried (in hushed tones) that the MLS membership will ruin the good thing they have, specifically that the current location is easy to access, the game tickets and concessions are reasonable, and there are lots of bars and restaurants (on and around UC's campus) for pregaming. The new stadium is being built in a sketchy neighborhood, so there is concern about parking safety (and/or eventual gentrification of the neighborhood), concern about ticket and concession prices skyrocketing, and concern about perhaps not winning much in a tougher league. We'll see how it goes.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:Page 94 and I am making my first ever post in this thread... I guess I have to participate now, thanks to this...

Well seeing how Prof posted about Catalonian league games....
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:Look, I know Bolivia fielded a team full of guys they found at Walmart, but you can't help but be excited about guys like Weah, McKinnie, Sargent, Robinson, Zimmerman and a few others.

Also, Pete, please talk MLS, I talk NPSL, since the local Chattanooga FC has the highest attendance in that league and higher than a lot of USL clubs, this season tied FC Dallas in a friendly and beat Seattle's U-23 team 3-1 in a friendly.
I'm not excited until they win a game that matters.
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
FW wrote:Look, I know Bolivia fielded a team full of guys they found at Walmart, but you can't help but be excited about guys like Weah, McKinnie, Sargent, Robinson, Zimmerman and a few others.

A game that matters like when FC Cincinnati beat Chicago Fire on ESPN last year? :razz: :razz:
(I never posted about that at the time, figured why bother in a thread I assumed was about Euro leagues and World Cup play)
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

windywave wrote:

They're not going to play one for a year
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

PeteRasche wrote:
FW wrote:Also, Pete, please talk MLS, I talk NPSL, since the local Chattanooga FC has the highest attendance in that league and higher than a lot of USL clubs, this season tied FC Dallas in a friendly and beat Seattle's U-23 team 3-1 in a friendly.
Alright, you asked for it.

FC Cincinnati started three years ago and has been an unbelievable phenomenon. Like, even the people here involved in it can't explain it. I resisted trying to discuss it here previously because I figured y'all would scoff at minor league soccer, but it's been called the best soccer atmosphere in the US by many a visiting pro, former pro, or "announcer with the pedigree to know". They average nearly 22,000 (highest average of any non-mls soccer team, would rank them 5th or 6th if they were in the MLS now). They typically cover the upper deck of the stadium and call it a sellout when they are around 25,000, but have opened it for certain opponents and drawn 35,000+.

The talk about them moving up to mls started last year when they beat three straight mls teams (Columbus, Chicago, Miami) to reach the semis of the the US Open Cup, falling 3-2 to New York in the semis. Their bid likely would have come sooner except they were needing a new stadium, as they've been playing in Nippert stadium at University of Cincinnati, which does not have legal MLS dimensions. After about 6 to 8 months of red tape and neighborhood meetings and political mumbo jumbo, they squared away a deal with one of about 5 suggested sites, and after that it only took a few weeks for Tuesday's official announcement to arrive. They begin mls play next year, still at Nippert, until the new stadium is complete.

I've been to the games and it's a blast. But folks are all worried (in hushed tones) that the MLS membership will ruin the good thing they have, specifically that the current location is easy to access, the game tickets and concessions are reasonable, and there are lots of bars and restaurants (on and around UC's campus) for pregaming. The new stadium is being built in a sketchy neighborhood, so there is concern about parking safety (and/or eventual gentrification of the neighborhood), concern about ticket and concession prices skyrocketing, and concern about perhaps not winning much in a tougher league. We'll see how it goes.
Miami isn't in MLS (yet)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:

They're not going to play one for a year
I know and then if they don't choke my needle may move off of bitter disappointment
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

And we lose to the republic
#cousins don't count