Tulane welcomes Grad Transfer OL Noah Fisher ...

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
olivengreen
Navigator Level

Re: Tulane welcomes Grad Transfer OL Noah Fisher ...

Post by olivengreen »

PeteRasche wrote:
long green wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:Let’s make a deal, ml. I’ll answer your question when you react to the news in this thread.
I don't know what that means. You're for some reason anxiously awaiting my reaction to reports of a transfer that I've never heard of or seen play? Ok, if you insist...I'm happy we might get a guy that is reported to be a good player.

To answer your question I’ll say that it would be more accurate to say I am laughing not at Bailey Granier but at the deflated reactions of some when it was reported that he was going to play for UCF. My bad.

I genuinely don’t know what makes your yogwf self tick.
Sure you know, go ahead and say it, everyone else agrees with you. Or are you two friends off the board?
Maybe it's me delicious wine kicking in.... but I'm confused with all of this.
Proud member of the Greenbackers!!!!!
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

if our defense is decent it could be a good year.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

TU23 wrote:The best thing about Fisher is not just his experience but the fact that he was at least good enough to make All-Conference by the coaches vote. Phil Steele also had him as an all-conference player both before and after the season. I'm watching some offensive snaps of different South Alabama games right now, and the thing that sticks out to me is that he looks like a guard both in his build and his movements. He's definitely not a great fit at left tackle. He's strong but he's not great versus speed off the edge. Once he gets his hands on you, he's tough to shake. Kicking him inside could be beneficial to both us and him. At worst, we have a guy who we can put in the game and feel confident that he knows what he's doing.

This locks us into a max of 25 players for this coming recruiting cycle...we could have signed 26 before adding Fisher to the 2018 class.
While I'm really happy to get a guy like Fisher, we have to keep in mind that he played in a watered-down CUSA, whose talent level is below the AAC--we found that out the hard way. Still, the best in CUSA, which he clearly is, should do us well for the coming season. My guess is that he will move to guard, Dublin to center, and we'll move someone to LT with the quickest feet, be it Leglue or someone else. Frankly, this type of move sets us up to be a very strong offensive unit in 2018. Can't wait.
Plan your work, work your plan.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

In reference to other threads about whether one player makes enough impact to affect a team’s fortunes, this might be one of them.

Welcome aboard, young man!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Rotorooter wrote:
TU23 wrote:The best thing about Fisher is not just his experience but the fact that he was at least good enough to make All-Conference by the coaches vote. Phil Steele also had him as an all-conference player both before and after the season. I'm watching some offensive snaps of different South Alabama games right now, and the thing that sticks out to me is that he looks like a guard both in his build and his movements. He's definitely not a great fit at left tackle. He's strong but he's not great versus speed off the edge. Once he gets his hands on you, he's tough to shake. Kicking him inside could be beneficial to both us and him. At worst, we have a guy who we can put in the game and feel confident that he knows what he's doing.

This locks us into a max of 25 players for this coming recruiting cycle...we could have signed 26 before adding Fisher to the 2018 class.
While I'm really happy to get a guy like Fisher, we have to keep in mind that he played in a watered-down CUSA, whose talent level is below the AAC--we found that out the hard way. Still, the best in CUSA, which he clearly is, should do us well for the coming season. My guess is that he will move to guard, Dublin to center, and we'll move someone to LT with the quickest feet, be it Leglue or someone else. Frankly, this type of move sets us up to be a very strong offensive unit in 2018. Can't wait.
USA is in the Sun Belt. That doesn't change your point, though. Personally I think the top players in the Sun Belt would do just fine in the AAC, so if he's one of those he will help us.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

The real question is do you prefer the multi-year starter from the Sunbelt or the benchwarmer from an SEC school?

It's like trading the 25th roster player at the end of your MLB bench for the experienced stud burning up AAA.

By coincidence both will be playing in AAC next year with good possibility of same position as well. Great environment to test the above hypothesis.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

great pickup, with Diaz leaving we were one experienced OL short going into this year. Fisher takes care of that.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GreenieBacker wrote:great pickup, with Diaz leaving we were one experienced OL short going into this year. Fisher takes care of that.
We weren’t really short on the OL, not compared to how we went into the first two seasons under Fritz. This does help, of course. Now there’s almost no way we’ll need a true freshman to play a meaningful role on this year’s line, unless he’s really good.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Rotorooter wrote:

While the level of competition in conference will be a step up, moving from T to G (if that's what happens) should certainly alleviate that (and then some, probably).
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

olivengreen wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
long green wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:Let’s make a deal, ml. I’ll answer your question when you react to the news in this thread.
I don't know what that means. You're for some reason anxiously awaiting my reaction to reports of a transfer that I've never heard of or seen play? Ok, if you insist...I'm happy we might get a guy that is reported to be a good player.

To answer your question I’ll say that it would be more accurate to say I am laughing not at Bailey Granier but at the deflated reactions of some when it was reported that he was going to play for UCF. My bad.

I genuinely don’t know what makes your yogwf self tick.
Sure you know, go ahead and say it, everyone else agrees with you. Or are you two friends off the board?
Maybe it's me delicious wine kicking in.... but I'm confused with all of this.
You're not alone...
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

long green wrote:Now there’s almost no way we’ll need a true freshman to play a meaningful role on this year’s line, unless he’s really good.
Great point. We can red shirt most, if not all, incoming freshmen OL so as to gain some weight, strength and seasoning. That point alone is huge.
Plan your work, work your plan.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

we have at least one OL freshman coming in, Hogan(?) from Miss., that is worth keeping an eye on. Highly recruited with a bunch of P5 offers.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

GreenieBacker wrote:we have at least one OL freshman coming in, Hogan(?) from Miss., that is worth keeping an eye on. Highly recruited with a bunch of P5 offers.
Hogan had a lot of offers, but he only weighed 260 lbs in HS. He was listed at 275 on signing day. Assuming he's at least 290, then I think he could play...but we don't want to play him this year if we don't have to.
This one belongs to the Wave.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

completely agree TU23, Hogan is exactly the kind of kid that, if we can redshirt him, will pay big dividends. Fisher gives us the luxury of time, something we haven't had much of in the OL

BTW, thanks for all of your very informative posts, I look forward to reading them. And you manage to do them while being polite and devoid of snark, something that is in short supply around here at times :wink:
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Rotorooter wrote:
long green wrote:Now there’s almost no way we’ll need a true freshman to play a meaningful role on this year’s line, unless he’s really good.
Great point. We can red shirt most, if not all, incoming freshmen OL so as to gain some weight, strength and seasoning. That point alone is huge.
we didn't really "need" Corey Dublin last year.. he was just that good and beat people out for the job... if there is a stud freshman OL during August practices, he's going to play.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
LondonWave
Coach Level

Post by LondonWave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
we didn't really "need" Corey Dublin last year.. he was just that good and beat people out for the job... if there is a stud freshman OL during August practices, he's going to play.
My fear of redshirting guys like Dublin is that they may turn into guys like Fisher.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

LondonWave wrote:
My fear of redshirting guys like Dublin is that they may turn into guys like Fisher.
You've been talking to our coaches? When did they visit England? Know any good rugby kickers? :green wink:
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Yes we did need him last year.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

LondonWave wrote:My fear of redshirting guys like Dublin is that they may turn into guys like Fisher.
So you're saying you don't want the depth to have the luxury of redshirting freshmen because you're worried they'll leave for their 5th year? What, you also hope we don't have any players as good as Frazier on the basketball team either, since he's being drafted? Or any baseball players good enough to sniff the draft? C'mon.

The way I'd like to see it spun is that we have upperclassmen who are so good that even highly-rated freshmen aren't going to supplant them, and therefore redshirting is simply a stockpiling of talent.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Yes we did need him last year.
We absolutely needed Dublin last year. Barring nothing major, we shouldn’t need any freshmen to play, but if any step up and prove they can play, it will be a positive.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

LondonWave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
An all conference 4 year player that is sought after following his productive career?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
LondonWave
Coach Level

Post by LondonWave »

PeteRasche wrote:
LondonWave wrote:My fear of redshirting guys like Dublin is that they may turn into guys like Fisher.
So you're saying you don't want the depth to have the luxury of redshirting freshmen because you're worried they'll leave for their 5th year? What, you also hope we don't have any players as good as Frazier on the basketball team either, since he's being drafted? Or any baseball players good enough to sniff the draft? C'mon.

The way I'd like to see it spun is that we have upperclassmen who are so good that even highly-rated freshmen aren't going to supplant them, and therefore redshirting is simply a stockpiling of talent.
PR, I think you’re smarter than that.

It’s just a new part of the redshirting calculus. It’s great to trade a limited playing freshman year for a fifth year starting senior year, but if graduate transfers become the norm, then the original schools have less incentive to invest in the redshirt year.

In terms of recruiting, I’d rather recruit freshmen who are better than the upperclassmen and who could play right away. And I wouldn’t shed any tears if they play only one or two years and then end up being high draft picks.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I know I'm in the minority, but I conclude the Grad transfer rule does more harm than good. Rice lost FOUR returning starters to the grad transfer rule this spring/summer. Three of which started for three years before leaving. They went to South Carolina, Texas Tech, and Texas. They basically lost the core of a senior class. https://gradtransfertracker.com/the-lat ... ers-commit
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:I know I'm in the minority, but I conclude the Grad transfer rule does more harm than good. Rice lost FOUR returning starters to the grad transfer rule this spring/summer. Three of which started for three years before leaving. They went to South Carolina, Texas Tech, and Texas. They basically lost the core of a senior class. https://gradtransfertracker.com/the-lat ... ers-commit
May be bad for Rice this year, but on the whole it's a zero sum game.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:I know I'm in the minority, but I conclude the Grad transfer rule does more harm than good. Rice lost FOUR returning starters to the grad transfer rule this spring/summer. Three of which started for three years before leaving. They went to South Carolina, Texas Tech, and Texas. They basically lost the core of a senior class. https://gradtransfertracker.com/the-lat ... ers-commit
May be bad for Rice this year, but on the whole it's a zero sum game.
You say that if Zero sum games has some tendency to level out. Football results are a zero game, when is the Tulane-LSU series going to level out? There are a limited number of Grad transfers. Teams will be left with holes when the season starts. It's not like an actual free agent market with a pool to draw from. It's after the signing period and they were limited to 25 signees anyway. How will this be better for them next year.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy