Ray Ona Embo

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Ray Ona Embo

Unread post by PeteRasche »

randymc wrote:Sorry...but Slater never impressed me. Didn't think he offered that much at the AAC level. shot less than 25% from 3-pt range and that shoulda been his main contribution as an off the bench 3-pt threat. He just wasn't one.
I'm not saying he should have played 30 minutes a game but I felt like he provided an energetic spark when we were struggling and needed one. He also seemed to keep the defenders on their heels (threatening to drive) more than our other guards, who too often tended to stand around the perimeter. Especially later in the year when everyone else was exhausted, he seemed to still have plenty of energy (granted that was because he was well-rested). He played very well in that game where the other guards were hurt/sick/mysteriously out and he got big minutes.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
randymc wrote:Sorry...but Slater never impressed me. Didn't think he offered that much at the AAC level. shot less than 25% from 3-pt range and that shoulda been his main contribution as an off the bench 3-pt threat. He just wasn't one.
I'm with you
I don’t know as much as the rest of you about hoops but one thing that has become clear to me is that AAC guards have to have the physique and the will to mix it up inside. Willowy Allen Iverson types who are slight and can still make an impact are few and far between. Slater struck me as one who would get his head removed if he really tried to bang. That, and shooting below the Mendoza line is what explained his bench time. Nice for a few Road Runner minutes here and there, but not a lunchpail guy.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
I'm not saying he should have played 30 minutes a game but I felt like he provided an energetic spark when we were struggling and needed one. He also seemed to keep the defenders on their heels (threatening to drive) more than our other guards, who too often tended to stand around the perimeter. Especially later in the year when everyone else was exhausted, he seemed to still have plenty of energy (granted that was because he was well-rested). He played very well in that game where the other guards were hurt/sick/mysteriously out and he got big minutes.[/quote]

I don't remember him consistently producing
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
I'm not saying he should have played 30 minutes a game but I felt like he provided an energetic spark when we were struggling and needed one. He also seemed to keep the defenders on their heels (threatening to drive) more than our other guards, who too often tended to stand around the perimeter. Especially later in the year when everyone else was exhausted, he seemed to still have plenty of energy (granted that was because he was well-rested). He played very well in that game where the other guards were hurt/sick/mysteriously out and he got big minutes.
Right Pete. He played 44 minutes in the Tulsa game and scored 14 and made 7 assist. After that he was relegated back tot he bench and didn't see a lot of minutes.
We deserve so much better
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I don’t think anyone is arguing that he should have started simply that if used appropriately he could have added much needed depth. We were a tired team at the end because MD just would not go very deep into his bench
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Slater played very well in the one game he didn't have to worry about being pulled out of. Some guys get tentative and play with no cofidence when they are afraid they will be pulled over one mistake or a missed shot. Slater is that type of player. He will flourish somewhere if he is the starting pount guard.

MD loves guys that have a size advantage at their position or can play multiple spots. Slater does not fit either of those descriptions.

We need to improve defensivey to put it mildly. Hopefully the big guys put in sone weight to clog the middle and Ona Embo is the defender he was as a frosh.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote:MD loves guys that have a size advantage at their position or can play multiple spots.
He absolutely does. The problem is he seems to be filling the 1-3 spots with guys who are indeed taller than all our opponents will be, but who seem to all be a step slower than our opponents and do great matador impressions defensively. How many opponents' guards who were in the 6'0-6'3 range, playing against our 6'4-6'7 guys, got into the lane against us and created havoc last year? (hint: the answer is "most of them".)

Call me old school, but at the 1 and 2 spots, I'd rather have a 6'1 guy who is lightning quick and rock solid (strong) than a 6'6 guy who can shoot really well but is about as quick as, well, me.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote:
NJwave wrote:MD loves guys that have a size advantage at their position or can play multiple spots.
He absolutely does. The problem is he seems to be filling the 1-3 spots with guys who are indeed taller than all our opponents will be, but who seem to all be a step slower than our opponents and do great matador impressions defensively. How many opponents' guards who were in the 6'0-6'3 range, playing against our 6'4-6'7 guys, got into the lane against us and created havoc last year? (hint: the answer is "most of them".)

Call me old school, but at the 1 and 2 spots, I'd rather have a 6'1 guy who is lightning quick and rock solid (strong) than a 6'6 guy who can shoot really well but is about as quick as, well, me.
I am in total agreement with you. We have not been able to stop anybody from penetrating the last two years and the philosophy has not helped with rebounding. The American was loaded with lightening quick guards last year who also happended to be their teams top player. Ona-Embo was a pretty good defender as a frosh. Last year he could not guard anybody. We often had Frazier guarding the point because of that. We need a point guard that can defend and a beast of a rebounder/intimidator inside or we will continue to struggle defensively and on the boards. Right now it looks like the 3 guys coming in are more of the same Dunleavy type of player. Walker might be more a traditinal point but he has to sit out a year.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

All good points. The three frosh (assuming Zhang qualifies) are all excellent shooters/offensive players. We may see a lot of 90 point games on both offense and defense. Not quite golden age Marymount or Runnin' Reb basketball but on the same track perhaps?

Meanwhile let's see how Ajang and Koka have developed. We may now have the rim more protected but better back court defense remains to be determined.

Regardless I think Tulane could have a winning record just with more players in the rotation. I guess I'm more optimistic about the whole than the individual parts.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

I can't wait to see the progress Caleb Daniels makes.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

randymc wrote:I can't wait to see the progress Caleb Daniels makes.
Agree. I think he could be the type of banger/playmaker we need in the AAC
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium