Tulane baseball recruit D. Dotson of Scotlandville

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
randymc
President's Circle

Tulane baseball recruit D. Dotson of Scotlandville

Post by randymc »

another pitching prospect...Dotson goes to Texas in middle of 12th round. Go get em Coach Latham. Need that young man in a Tulane uniform.
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Re: Tulane baseball recruit D. Dotson of Scotlandville

Post by CletusRelm »

Sorry about the additional post. :(

I sure hope he comes to TU.

Let Latham work with him for 3 years, and then he gets drafted in the 1st round.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

This is an interesting spot for him to go. Being picked in the 12th round, there is no slot value, so there is no penalty for Texas spending well over "12th Round money" to sign Dotson. This is going to depend on several factors: Texas' budget, Dotson's demands, whether Texas can sign all of their higher picks and whether Dotson thinks he'll do much better in 3 years. Going to be interesting...but this is a little early for a team to take a kid who they don't think they can sign.
This one belongs to the Wave.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Former Scotlandville pitcher Destin Dotson excited to be drafted by the Texas Rangers in 12th round

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... 34787.html

“It’s such an honor to be included as part of the draft and have that opportunity to start my professional career early....."

color him gone, I guess.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

This is one I was hoping we’d hold on to. It would never happen, but there should be a rule that once you sign a LOI, you revoke your right to be drafted until your sophomore year.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

his dad did say this: Brad Dotson said of his son’s selection by the Rangers. "We're all very excited about it. Education is very important to our family, so this is something we will need to discuss and figure out." An honor student, Dotson was part of the engineering magnet program at Scotlandville (Magnet) and plans a college major in mechanical engineering. -- all from The Advocate online
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

waverider wrote:This is one I was hoping we’d hold on to. It would never happen, but there should be a rule that once you sign a LOI, you revoke your right to be drafted until your sophomore year.
That would not be a good rule
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

This is such a tough decision. Knowing what I know now, I would say go pro and get yourself in the system IF your son is mature enough (there are so many obstacles to consider). Six years ago, I did say go to college. Unfortunately, injuries can derail your opportunity in a second.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

tjtlja wrote:This is such a tough decision. Knowing what I know now, I would say go pro and get yourself in the system IF your son is mature enough (there are so many obstacles to consider). Six years ago, I did say go to college. Unfortunately, injuries can derail your opportunity in a second.
I wouldn’t second guess myself. Who is to say he wouldn’t have gotten hurt after a few years of riding busses and have zero college under his belt. Yes, one can say he could have pursued an education later in life but very few do. Woulda coulda shoulda.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

3 years of school & good handling & luck and he could blow this offer out of the water. He is the exact sort of prospect who could do this.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Why not offer some kind of insurance policy against a career ending injury for any kid that gets drafted but decides to go to college or return to college. Make the major league clubs pay for it. I do not think it benefits either the kid or a major league team if a kid goes pro for fear of injury at the college level.

I think the NHL has a rule that if you draft a kid that does not make it you have to pay for his college education when he is done playing. It sure would be nice if baseball did soemthing like that. I am not saying the full cost of a 4 year Tulane education for a kid that doesnt make it past A ball but at least something to help defer the cost so a kid can try and get an education if his dream does not pan out.

I would have a very tough time if my kid accepted an offer unless it is a ton of money and/or he will be guaranteed an education if it does not work out. I am not sure what the percentages are but I am guessing that even for a 12th round pick the odds of ever getting called up are small.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

A couple of guys I know got drafted and part of their contracts was tuition paid for IIRC
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

He is a 12th round pick and is going to get a very good offer. Like TU23 said, this one is going to be interesting. The odds of making it as a 12th rounder out of high school or going to college for three years and blowing it out the water are both long shots. You can always get the education. This may be your only shot to play at the highest level.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

randymc wrote:An honor student, Dotson was part of the engineering magnet program at Scotlandville (Magnet) and plans a college major in mechanical engineering.
Nobody else saw the issue in this quote but me?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
randymc wrote:An honor student, Dotson was part of the engineering magnet program at Scotlandville (Magnet) and plans a college major in mechanical engineering.
I did
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

PeteRasche wrote:
No use in stating the obvious.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Well, he did sign with Tulane knowing how the school's academic degrees are structured... Plus, there is this option (perhaps among a few options): http://www2.tulane.edu/sse/pep/academic ... g-program/
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

I find it interesting that Texas drafted 27 pitchers among their picks. 23 right-handed pitchers and 4 lefties, including Destin Dotson of course.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:A couple of guys I know got drafted and part of their contracts was tuition paid for IIRC
This is standard
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:A couple of guys I know got drafted and part of their contracts was tuition paid for IIRC
This is standard
That was a decision MLB made when Jones was still here. I remember him telling us about it being a rule that teams had to include a tuition clause in their contracts.

I don't remember the specifics but I seem to recall it having something to do with an agreement with the NCAA.
Tulane Greenbackers

CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

I cannot recall the names of the players, but a number of years ago TU had 2 players drafted in the 12th and 13th round of the MLB draft. I believe 1 was a pitcher and the other was an outfielder. Unfortunately, they both signed for appox $150,000 each.

Any one recall those players or when that occurred?
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

CletusRelm wrote:I cannot recall the names of the players, but a number of years ago TU had 2 players drafted in the 12th and 13th round of the MLB draft. I believe 1 was a pitcher and the other was an outfielder. Unfortunately, they both signed for appox $150,000 each.

I remember in 2008 we had Ross Seaton taken in the 3rd.
JP Ramírez in the 15th and TJ House in the 16th.
House was the only one to make it to the show.
On the flip side, the same year Jamie Bruno turned down the Mets offer as a 15th round pick and came to Tulane. That didn’t work out too well either.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
CletusRelm wrote:I cannot recall the names of the players, but a number of years ago TU had 2 players drafted in the 12th and 13th round of the MLB draft. I believe 1 was a pitcher and the other was an outfielder. Unfortunately, they both signed for appox $150,000 each.

I remember in 2008 we had Ross Seaton taken in the 3rd.
JP Ramírez in the 15th and TJ House in the 16th.
House was the only one to make it to the show.
On the flip side, the same year Jamie Bruno turned down the Mets offer as a 15th round pick and came to Tulane. That didn’t work out too well either.
The Bruno situation shows that it can work both ways. Going to college doesn't always mean a better draft spot three years later. In his case, he should have known he couldn't hit breaking balls and just taken the money and run.
Tulane Greenbackers

CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

Thanks visual.

I remember now all those names u presented. I also remember seeing the fellow Ross Seaton talking about his signing on ESPN.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Seaton pitched several seasons in the minors but has not pitched or been active in high minor pro ball since 2015-16. He was a supplemental third round pick and signed for a reported $700K.
He did pitch 50 plus innings here the last couple of years:
http://pointstreak.com/baseball/player. ... onid=30757

more..
https://www.baseballamerica.com/players/38893/