#2 is in as 3* OL Brevyn Jones from Alabama commits

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
waverider
Cornerstone

#2 is in as 3* OL Brevyn Jones from Alabama commits

Post by waverider »

Per ftw:
3* OL Brevyn Jones commits to Tulane out of Alabama.

Jones joins the Wave’s 2019 class with a growing list of offers, including FAU, Western Kentucky, App State, and more.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Re: #2 is in as 3* OL Brevyn Jones from Alabama commits

Post by long green »

Perfect for this system. 7 other 1-a offers. We're off to another good start.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

If he was from the Midwest he'd be a 7* :angel:
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

As LG said, perfect for this system. I love his athleticism and mobility. He'll top off at about 290-300 lbs and still be able to move. Great start indeed.
This one belongs to the Wave.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote:Per ftw:

Jones joins the Wave’s 2019 class with a growing list of offers, including FAU, Western Kentucky, App State, and more.
I'm curious why everyone thinks he's such a good pickup in light of the other offers. Maybe he'll be great (I hope so), but I've seen way too many guys for whom we outrecruit SBC schools and excuse that fact because he's "perfect for OUR system". That was virtually our team recruiting motto during the late Scelfo, Toledo, and later CJ years.

Not being negative, I don't follow recruiting closely, and have found that 95% of the time, the success of our recruits correlates directly to the quality of the other schools recruiting them. I'd like to hear what is selling those of you who posted above.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:

I'm curious why everyone thinks he's such a good pickup in light of the other offers. Maybe he'll be great (I hope so), but I've seen way too many guys for whom we outrecruit SBC schools and excuse that fact because he's "perfect for OUR system". That was virtually our team recruiting motto during the late Scelfo, Toledo, and later CJ years.

Not being negative, I don't follow recruiting closely, and have found that 95% of the time, the success of our recruits correlates directly to the quality of the other schools recruiting them. I'd like to hear what is selling those of you who posted above.
OL is the only position where I personally buy into the "our system" stuff.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

OL is the only position where I personally buy into the "our system" stuff.
Yep. We require OL who are a little smaller but more mobile than most. Them and WR it's really a slightly different skillset we're seeking. Also worth noting that, even with the so-so offer list, he IS 3* recruit, so it's not like he's a complete unknown.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

It’s not about requiring small linemen so much as it is about getting guys who can move and letting them grow into bigger, stronger linemen. That takes time which means having enough bodies to redshirt guys like Jones. We can do that this year, I hope we can say the same about all but one or so of next year’s OL signees.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Scheme aside, this strategy is much more proven than the strategy of taking 300 lb + high school kids with bad bodies and hoping to knock the weight off of them. Those guys are normally 300 lbs because they have bad habits that are hard to break. Some of them break those habits and turn into great players (Tanzel Smart being one...albeit on Defense). Worst case scenario, you can do well as an O-Lineman at 280 with mobility and some strength. You can't play at 330-350 with no quickness and poor conditioning, especially in this offense.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

Looks like MS State is showing interest in this young man.

https://twitter.com/BrevynJ/status/1039692122952269826
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Like to see that and hate to see that at the same time.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:Like to see that and hate to see that at the same time.
Agree. Let's hope this is where that early signing period benefits us like it did last year.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Pete, definitely. And a lot of W’s would help the cause. Miss State looks like they have a very good team this year.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Last year we probably did the best job of holding commits who had P5 offers than I have seen in a very, very long time. Hopefully we repeat this year.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Donny Z wrote:Ms state visit this weekend.
https://twitter.com/brevynj/status/1045 ... 76640?s=21
Good. He's getting SEC sniffs while watching MSU lose 13-6 to a bad Florida team in what had to be a terrible game. :mrgreen: I hope Fritz texted him a bunch of the national media stories about our game including the clip on College Football Gameday Saturday morning where they praised our win and raved about the helmets.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
Good. He's getting SEC sniffs while watching MSU lose 13-6 to a bad Florida team in what had to be a terrible game. :mrgreen: I hope Fritz texted him a bunch of the national media stories about our game including the clip on College Football Gameday Saturday morning where they praised our win and raved about the helmets.
Can somebody post that clip here?
We deserve so much better
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Whenever the SEC is involved, our chances drop significantly. Hopefully, we can reverse that trend with this young man.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

tjtlja wrote:Whenever the SEC is involved, our chances drop significantly. Hopefully, we can reverse that trend with this young man.
That's how a mouse thinks.
We have a lot to offer--more than MSU, for sure. The competition is between TEAMS, not conferences.

And Brevyn Jones is "110% committed" to the Green Wave.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Whenever the SEC is involved, our chances drop significantly. Hopefully, we can reverse that trend with this young man.
We have a lot to offer--more than MSU, for sure. The competition is between TEAMS, not conferences.

And you are employable with a Tulane degree
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
What, like a screenshot of his tweet? It's just him saying "can't wait to get there!" and a stock photo of an MSU jersey.

Doesn't sound 110% committed to me. But like I said, that enthusiasm was before MSU laid a big fat egg last night.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
What, like a screenshot of his tweet? It's just him saying "can't wait to get there!" and a stock photo of an MSU jersey.

Doesn't sound 110% committed to me. But like I said, that enthusiasm was before MSU laid a big fat egg last night.
Sorry for the confusion Pete. I was asking about the clip from Gameday. I was coaching and missed it.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Sorry for the confusion Pete. I was asking about the clip from Gameday. I was coaching and missed it.
I saw it on Facebook. Will try to get a link.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Roller wrote:

We have alot more to offer than Missouri but Lindsey Scott opted to be their 4th string QB over starting at Tulane fwiw.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson