Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:25 am 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24613
Location: New Orleans
for a year, anyway.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2371 ... -athletics

According to this story, Murray plays for OU for one year then goes to the A’s system full-time. A very interesting solution. Aside from the injury risk,how does OU & Lincoln Riley handle a possible one and done situation?

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20528
Location: North Kenner
Didn't Mewelde Moore play pro baseball while playing football at Tulane? Maybe a little different situation

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:32 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9590
long green wrote:
for a year, anyway.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2371 ... -athletics

According to this story, Murray plays for OU for one year then goes to the A’s system full-time. A very interesting solution. Aside from the injury risk,how does OU & Lincoln Riley handle a possible one and done situation?

By doing whatever maximizes their chance to make the playoffs?

He might be a one more and done, but he's already spent two seasons on the OU football team.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:41 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5342
In short as said by an MLB expert, Murray has more chance of being the next Altuve then the next Brees. Presumably A's will buy an insurance contract from a Lloyd's syndicate to protect against potential football injury.

In short, this is a classic MoneyBall move. We'll check back in 2025 to see if it succeeds.

BTW, I"m no Riley/Murray fan after throwing an 80+ yard TD bomb against Tulane with under three minutes left in the game and leading 49-14. But again maybe that's just me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:00 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9590
Baywave1 wrote:
In short as said by an MLB expert, Murray has more chance of being the next Altuve then the next Brees. Presumably A's will buy an insurance contract from a Lloyd's syndicate to protect against potential football injury.

In short, this is a classic MoneyBall move. We'll check back in 2025 to see if it succeeds.

BTW, I"m no Riley/Murray fan after throwing an 80+ yard TD bomb against Tulane with under three minutes left in the game and leading 49-14. But again maybe that's just me.

It's not the kid's job to call the plays.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:58 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 6850
Location: Charlotte
waverider wrote:
Didn't Mewelde Moore play pro baseball while playing football at Tulane? Maybe a little different situation


Nope... same situation... it's a bullsheet rule that allows football players to get paid to play minor league baseball while other football players lose their eligibility should they even think of raising money (legally) to fund their Olympic endeavors... yes, I am referring to the Jeremy Bloom case which should have blown up the entire NCAA back when it was going on. The hypocrisy of allowing a football player to play minor league baseball in the summer and not lose eligibility was and still is absurd... IF you don't let athletes do it in OTHER non-related sports.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:52 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5342
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
In short as said by an MLB expert, Murray has more chance of being the next Altuve then the next Brees. Presumably A's will buy an insurance contract from a Lloyd's syndicate to protect against potential football injury.

In short, this is a classic MoneyBall move. We'll check back in 2025 to see if it succeeds.

BTW, I"m no Riley/Murray fan after throwing an 80+ yard TD bomb against Tulane with under three minutes left in the game and leading 49-14. But again maybe that's just me.

It's not the kid's job to call the plays.


Just curious, how do you know it was not an audible or an inplay read?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:22 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 18849
Location: Chicago
Don't give up the play and nothing to bitch about


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:32 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5342
just as easy to say don't do the play and nothing to bitch about.

Regardless it's more than strange to argue the players here are just robots.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:35 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3802
Location: Wichita
Tidbit: OU's QB will likely make more money than it's head coach

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:36 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2096
Location: Baton Rouge
gerryb323 wrote:
Tidbit: OU's QB will likely make more money than it's head coach

For a year. Riley is only in his 30's. He will make 7+ digits for the next 25 years id he is decent.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:11 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3802
Location: Wichita
Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Tidbit: OU's QB will likely make more money than it's head coach

For a year. Riley is only in his 30's. He will make 7+ digits for the next 25 years id he is decent.

Right, but while he's playing there (and legally at that)

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:28 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5342
Murray could make 8+ digits for a decade after hitting arbitration then free agency in MLB, if he makes it there. Although at this point, Riley is odds on for more career earnings than Murray, it could make sense to bet on the baseball player.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:58 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9590
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
In short as said by an MLB expert, Murray has more chance of being the next Altuve then the next Brees. Presumably A's will buy an insurance contract from a Lloyd's syndicate to protect against potential football injury.

In short, this is a classic MoneyBall move. We'll check back in 2025 to see if it succeeds.

BTW, I"m no Riley/Murray fan after throwing an 80+ yard TD bomb against Tulane with under three minutes left in the game and leading 49-14. But again maybe that's just me.

It's not the kid's job to call the plays.


Just curious, how do you know it was not an audible or an inplay read?

I doubt it was an audible by the backup QB, but if it was I'd expect him to get chewed out by the coach on the sideline. If it was a read, then the QB is doing his job and the coach should not be calling plays that have deep pass as an option in that situation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:00 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9590
Baywave1 wrote:
just as easy to say don't do the play and nothing to bitch about.

Regardless it's more than strange to argue the players here are just robots.

Players run the plays that are called, how exactly do you think this works?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:14 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5342
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
just as easy to say don't do the play and nothing to bitch about.

Regardless it's more than strange to argue the players here are just robots.

Players run the plays that are called, how exactly do you think this works?


Players have options on virtually every play called from reading the defense and then reacting and performing accordingly. How do you think that works?


So again how do you know Murray had no agency in this and was a robot? Just like Banks made a decision on his last play of the season so did Murray. Yes both plays were called from the sideline. Coaches and the QBs share in it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:09 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9590
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
just as easy to say don't do the play and nothing to bitch about.

Regardless it's more than strange to argue the players here are just robots.

Players run the plays that are called, how exactly do you think this works?


Players have options on virtually every play called from reading the defense and then reacting and performing accordingly. How do you think that works?


So again how do you know Murray had no agency in this and was a robot? Just like Banks made a decision on his last play of the season so did Murray. Yes both plays were called from the sideline. Coaches and the QBs share in it.

Robot is your word, not mine, but I think it works just as you said. He reads the defense, reacts, and performs accordingly. He is doing what he is supposed to do, the onus in that situation is on the coach to not call plays where a deep pass is an option (a simple handoff with no RPO, for example, or hitch routes if they need to pass for whatever reason). Are you saying that the backup QB, with limited playing experience, is supposed go out there and go against how he's been coached (to, as you said, read the defense, react and perform accordingly)?? Not making the right read or running the play as it's been called is a real good way to lose your spot on the depth chart.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: long green and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group