July 22 in Newport TD / Fritz / Higgins

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

July 22 in Newport TD / Fritz / Higgins

Post by RI WAVE »

Tulane’s Charles Higgins (Sailing coach), Fritz and Dannon will be at a Tulane Reception in Newport RI (the Mooring) at 6 PM / 6:30 ( I think ). If you are in the NE, it would be a great time to show your support for the Wave! Was just at NYYC for their Annual Regatta, Newport is ramping up for the tourist season and will be in full swing by late July. Best alternative would be to take the Ferry from Providence.($15 each way) see Narragansett Bay, avoid the traffic and it docks about a mile from the Mooring Rest. Bicycle cab, taxi or uber if you don’t like to walk.. looking forward to it!
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: July 22 in Newport TD / Fritz / Higgins

Post by Yankeewave »

that is a great town .
wave97
Head Trainer

Post by wave97 »

It docks at Perotti Park, a three minute walk to the Moorings. Stay in Newport if you can. You may want to take advantage of the quaint Coastal New England scenery before it's uprooted to Dallas. It is the best pre-season media event anywhere.
wave97
Head Trainer

Post by wave97 »

Had one vote gone differently in 1982 Penn State and ultimately Notre Dame would have anchored the football bona fides of the Big East Conference. The ACC wouldn't have gone on a scavenging raid and we'd likely still be in CUSA. Thank you St. Johns Georgetown & Villanova.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Yankeewave wrote:that is a great town .
No doubt. Was just up there in April for my middle son's Navy OCS graduation in April. Slow time of year for them, but the town was still a blast. Good food, bars, scenery, museums.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Is Higgins related to Higgins of Higgins boat fame?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

1401973 wrote:
No doubt. Was just up there in April for my middle son's Navy OCS graduation in April. Slow time of year for them, but the town was still a blast. Good food, bars, scenery, museums.
They still have OCS there? Good stuff. It’s not Officer and a Gentleman OCS, rather knife and fork school for doctors and lawyers. My Tulane roommate, a complete landlubber from New Hampshire, went through OCS there after he became a doctor of public health. I used to drive over from the New London Submarine Base to give him grief and to hit the bars with him. He literally did not know which arm to salute with...and retired 25 years later as a Navy Medical Corps captain.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
wave97
Head Trainer

Post by wave97 »

TUPF wrote:
1401973 wrote:
They still have OCS there? Good stuff. It’s not Officer and a Gentleman OCS, rather knife and fork school for doctors and lawyers. My Tulane roommate, a complete landlubber from New Hampshire, went through OCS there after he became a doctor of public health. I used to drive over from the New London Submarine Base to give him grief and to hit the bars with him. He literally did not know which arm to salute with...and retired 25 years later as a Navy Medical Corps captain.
Naval Station Newport has had a recent resurgence: War College, Submarine payload & systems, NAPS, OCS, Naval Supply School, Naval Fire School, Naval law, Marine Corps Systems Tech School (Unaccompanied Jarheads straight out of boot camp and wild as the day is long).
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

Any Fans in N. E. planning to join me in Newport this year?
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

So coming up this weekend. Hope I am not the only fan that shows up! Is this connected to AAC media day?
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

I'll be in Newport....but not until first week of September. Spending a day there as part of a cruise. I would appreciate any suggestions as to things I must do. I am a Navy vet, but an aviation type, so never made it there.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I assume this is a tag on to AAC media days for football, et al. I don't know what the local papers will do for us but we should see nice coverage from UConn area and perhaps a few other AAC teams.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Cheerleader wrote:I'll be in Newport....but not until first week of September. Spending a day there as part of a cruise. I would appreciate any suggestions as to things I must do. I am a Navy vet, but an aviation type, so never made it there.
With only a day there, you are pretty much locked into the mansion tours (Marble House, etc.), the Tennis Hall of Fame, lunch at one of the many waterfront places, etc. As a Navy officer vet I’d highly recommend a meal or drinks at the base O Club for just the nice view of the harbor but only if you have time. The Cliff Walk area is nice but better done with a car, which you won’t have. The main waterfront area is pretty and eminently walkable in an hour.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

We loved the Gilded Age mansion tour that leaves from Visitor Info Center.
Got to separately tour The Breakers while on the Cliff Walk. Both highly recommended.
Tennis Hall of Fame was a dud - and my wife and I are avid Tennis fans.
We wanted desperately to do a harbor tour - you can do one on a winning America's Cup yacht - but it was too cold.
Also couldn't get to the Naval War College and Illustration Museum due to time - heard both of these are incredible.
Had a great meal at White Horse Tavern - very cool place.
Great town.
wave97
Head Trainer

Post by wave97 »

If you only bave one day in Newport don't waste your time on mansion tours. Drive down Bellevue Ave and take a left on Ruggles Ave & a right on Wetmore Rd, you can park on Wetmore and jump on the cliffwalk.
I would recommend the Black Pearl (outside) for lunch and the Cooke House or the Moorings for dinner.
Take in Ocean Drive and a quick visit to Fort Adams on your return. If you have time a visit to the old Quaker neighborhood called The Point is interesting, as a very old port city it has a lot in common with the Garden District. Newport has more homes from the pre-independence period than any city in North America. The causeway to Goat Island (Gurneys Hotel/AAC media days) is in the Point section.
Take it slow and enjoy.
BTW: the Touro brothers were born & bred Newporters before they moved to NOLA. Newport & Rhode Island was central to the slave trade. Most of the ship owners/captains where based out of Rhode Island. As the third leg of the triangle trade the city & state was full of rum distillers. Founded as an anti-theocracy, Rhode Island was a bastion of civil liberties and enterprise (oh the irony).
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

wave97 wrote:If you only bave one day in Newport don't waste your time on mansion tours. Drive down Bellevue Ave and take a left on Ruggles Ave & a right on Wetmore Rd, you can park on Wetmore and jump on the cliffwalk.
I would recommend the Black Pearl (outside) for lunch and the Cooke House or the Moorings for dinner.
Take in Ocean Drive and a quick visit to Fort Adams on your return. If you have time a visit to the old Quaker neighborhood called The Point is interesting, as a very old port city it has a lot in common with the Garden District. Newport has more homes from the pre-independence period than any city in North America. The causeway to Goat Island (Gurneys Hotel/AAC media days) is in the Point section.
Take it slow and enjoy.
BTW: the Touro brothers were born & bred Newporters before they moved to NOLA. Newport & Rhode Island was central to the slave trade. Most of the ship owners/captains where based out of Rhode Island. As the third leg of the triangle trade the city & state was full of rum distillers. Founded as an anti-theocracy, Rhode Island was a bastion of civil liberties and enterprise (oh the irony).
All good stuff, but as a one day stop from a cruise, he probably does not have a car...
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

wave97 wrote:...the city & state was full of rum distillers.
Now you have my attention! :lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
wave97
Head Trainer

Post by wave97 »

TUPF wrote:
wave97 wrote:If you only bave one day in Newport don't waste your time on mansion tours. Drive down Bellevue Ave and take a left on Ruggles Ave & a right on Wetmore Rd, you can park on Wetmore and jump on the cliffwalk.
Take it slow and enjoy.
All good stuff, but as a one day stop from a cruise, he probably does not have a car...
Ditch the "blue hair" bus tour and rent a car/moped for the day.
wave97
Head Trainer

Post by wave97 »

Baywave1 wrote:I assume this is a tag on to AAC media days for football, et al. I don't know what the local papers will do for us but we should see nice coverage from UConn area and perhaps a few other AAC teams.
I think Mike Aresco has counted on the participation of NYC media to get away for a pleasant visit before the P5 media days.