Want a job? Know someone that needs a job?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Want a job? Know someone that needs a job?

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:Like I care what a know nothing like you thinks. LOL.
Two odd posts for you. Off your meds?
Did the Pres join YOGWF?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

TUPF wrote:
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
double d wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Heh, want a job? Get into the construction field and move to the mid-South or Midwest. Every MEP firm is desperately hiring. Regional contractors around here are turning down large jobs because they can't staff them with project managers or even workers, and we (MEP consulting firms) are slammed because there are no available engineers and designers to hire. "They" have told us for years that the construction and engineering industries were going to face a massive shortage in the future because kids don't want to do this anymore, and "they" were right (which is part of why there's such a big push of STEM in schools, but unfortunately it's pushing kids into other science fields).

Frankly, I don't know how people are going to build anything a decade from now because there's not going to be anyone to design it.

Where I work operators ae pulling down $130k or more working a few hundred hours OT a year. Good instrument techs and millwrights are hard to find even paying $40 hr. Engineers out of college start around $65k and will take several years to make more than the operators. Our local high schools have strong technical programs for kids not wanting to go to college. There is no shortage of engineers down hee but most coming out of college now want to be the CEO and not do actual engineering. In 30 years it’s gone from seeing engineers that knew their plants to the current bunch that are more concerned with networks and social events.
Thankfully we traded engineer alumni for volunteer alumni. No frick wonder we can't get the endowment up.
Sorry, but contrary to your narrative, Tulane’s endowment got into trouble long ago. Yes, when we had conventional engineering disciplines and a much greater percentage of New Orleans and Lousisana students. Some long for the good old days, but that era was when we fell behind our peer institutions in the 70s and onward, and then the time-value of investments sealed our also-ran status. So, yes, right now barring a mega sugar daddy we will always be playing catch up, but it’s not because of what the in the more recent years.
So the solution is to get rid of high paying graduates in exchange for ones who don't get a paycheck? You're not that dumb, revise your argument.
Actually he is. He wants to blame locals. Tulane has always had a national student body. It used to have more locals than now but it was never dominated by locals. The problem is people who went to Tulane for 4 years and then moved back home and never sent a cent. They love to brag they partied hard in NOLA but they don't care about Tulane because it was their back up school. They walked around campus wearing the shirts of that school rather than Tulane.
I respectfully disagree, at least in my case. I chose Tulane over an appointment to the Naval Academy, Duke and Cornell. I had full scholarships both academic and NROTC to all but felt Tulane was the right place for my wild streak. I was the first in my family to go to college and One of the proudest moments of my life was receiving my Phi Beta Kappa key from President Sheldon Hackney. I have donated to Tulane every year since 1978 to both the academic side and the athletic side of Tulane. It is my duty for putting me in a great position for the rest of my life. The Tulane outreach folks regularly get together with me in Philadelphia or when I return to campus to say thanks. I proudly wore only Tulane items while attending and ever since, both in the US and overseas. There were only a couple of Tulane nuclear submarine officers in my day but we were proud. Even found time to get away from the boat and attend away football games in places like Boston College while we were docked in the area. Tulane’s endowment is where it is for a variety of reasons and yes, part of the blame lies locally. Just like many other things in life, you are either part of the problem or part of the solution.
You are the exception to the rule. It has always been known that for many Tulane was their backup school.
We deserve so much better
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

wavedom wrote:It has always been known that for many Tulane was their backup school.
If one is honest with themselves, this is probably the case for most schools not named Harvard, Yale, or Princeton. My daughter’s backup school was better known Juilliard but she chose Curtis which is twice as selective as Harvard. My neighbor’s son was waitlisted at Tulane two years ago and wound up at Richmond, where he promptly quit after one year.

We are where we are. Be determined to be part of the solution or don’t waste your energy. I love my alma mater and she did more than right by me. I’ll go back to my 40th reunion in November and among many things I will attend is an NROTC reunion where the current Professor of Naval Science, CAPT Huete, is the younger brother of one of my then local midshipman classmates, proving that loyalty runs deep for some.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

wavedom wrote:...It has always been known that for many Tulane was their backup school.
How big is your sample? My backup was the Naval Academy, and I also had acceptances from Stanford and Iowa State. Tulane was always my first choice.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

The sample is very large spanning decades. The very few that post here are likely to be the exceptions.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

wavedom wrote:The sample is very large spanning decades. The very few that post here are likely to be the exceptions.
So why are you wasting your time with an under-endowed backup school with perennially losing sports? Seriously. My 36-year marriage wasn’t my first either, but it was/is my best.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
wavedom wrote:The sample is very large spanning decades. The very few that post here are likely to be the exceptions.
So why are you wasting your time with an under-endowed backup school with perennially losing sports? Seriously. My 36-year marriage wasn’t my first either, but it was/is my best so far.
FIFY :twisted: :angel: :coolshades: :jerry:
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

TUPF wrote:
So why are you wasting your time with an under-endowed backup school with perennially losing sports? Seriously. My 36-year marriage wasn’t my first either, but it was/is my best.
The standard response of then why don't you go pull for somebody else. We have so few fans yet some would try to run them off. Sounds just like Cowen and Dickson.

To answer your question investment and loyalty.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

wavedom wrote:
TUPF wrote:
The standard response of then why don't you go pull for somebody else. We have so few fans yet some would try to run them off. Sounds just like Cowen and Dickson.

To answer your question investment and loyalty.
If a message board can run someone off, one isn’t very well invested, are they?

If you compare me to Cowen and Dickson I will hunt you down and punch you in the throat. 8)
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

It won't run me off and I didn't say it would. I said it's typical that some get offended and want to try and run one off.

If you don't want to be seen the same as them don't act like them. You'd never get to hit me in the throat because I'd hit you first. 8)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I know how to use nuclear weapons. :angel:
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I have a shield for that. :green wink:
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Roller wrote:
wavedom wrote:...It has always been known that for many Tulane was their backup school.
How big is your sample? My backup was the Naval Academy, and I also had acceptances from Stanford and Iowa State. Tulane was always my first choice.
I turned down a scholarship to Yale, among many others, to come to Tulane. I wasn't the only one who turned down a "more prestigious" school; quite the opposite among other folks I knew as an undergrad.

If you're going to rely on anecdotal evidence (or your own assumptions), then don't be shocked when others do the same.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I turned down Rice
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Too many Tulane alumni (jaded, I guess, by USNews) underestimate Tulane's prestige. I remember one time when I gave an OMB staffer a ride home from the airport. I knew that she got her Bachelor's from Stanford and her MBA from Harvard. When she saw the Tulane sticker on my car, she said "Wow, you went to Tulane? Great school!"
Needless to say, that was heart-warming, although I've always wondered if there was an undercurrent of "How did a loser like YOU get thorough there?" :shock:
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
tjtlja wrote:$35k
Then that is strictly an entry level phone caller, not a rainmaker. Different skill set.

Sorry, too many years in corporate business development for me skewed me towards an account executive type person.
Lower-level jobs in athletics (pro, college, minor league) are notoriously low paying due to the extreme amount of people trying to break in to the industry.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

TUPF wrote:I know how to use nuclear weapons. :angel:
"turn your key, sir"

pretty sure I can do that, too
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Johnny Mac wrote:
"turn your key, sir"

It’s a tad more involved. And anyone within a sniff is part of the Personal Responsibility Program where you are under constant, pervasive scrutiny. You’d expect no less.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
"turn your key, sir"

It’s a tad more involved. And anyone within a sniff is part of the Personal Responsibility Program where you are under constant, pervasive scrutiny. You’d expect no less.
It's turning TWO keys simultaneously. Got it. :angel:
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

I want to be the 'second' guy in the broadcast booth for football and baseball.
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
chitown4tu
Riptide Level

Post by chitown4tu »

My father went to Tulane and I've gone to games with my grandfather back in 1961. I always wanted to go to Tulane and I didn't even apply anywhere else. My school grades were bad & my SAT was much worse. My father worked at the med school and they let me go to night school to prove I could do the work. I got in and had the best time of my life. I was very active with student government and worked at many concerts at McAllister. The best part is that I went for free. I went on to get my M.B.A. at U.N.O.