David Pierce

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: David Pierce

Post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:Visual, like I told you earlier - you make way too much sense. You have been a loyal greenie and will always be one. Don’t let Winbag or anyone else tell you otherwise.

Remember, these will be the same fans screaming for our coaches head at some point. This is the cycle - love the coach in year one no matter what, year two the love affair starts to show cracks but rebounds in the off season and will attack any talk of discouragement, and year three the pitchforks come out and everyone from the coach to the AD is fair game. And some will even say they have been preaching this for awhile. The life cycle of being a Greenie fan is complete once again.

What you have said about the baseball program and it’s current situation would be supported by 80% of the fan base. Talk to the people that actually see these kids play many games and those conversations are ugly. Jewett must win next year. Offensively, we should be a force. Defense will improve if we can find a catcher and one more outfielder. Pitching - do we have enough arms and enough control. Daniel should help. Jewett’s job is going as far as his pitchers go. Hopefully, we improve, make a regional, and Coach keeps his job. We pull for Tulane no matter who the coach is.
There's nothing there to say we should be an offensive force next year. We could be solid bit nothing close to a force. Defensively we need much better at SS and we need an overhaul in the outfield. We need to be better at third and second on defense. Our defense was bad. Pitching has some guys with stuff and we'll se if Latham can bring them under control.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:His recruiting wasn’t terrible either. He recruited Massey, Hoese, Spoon, Jeremy, Soleski, Gillies, Glancy, Zubia, Gozzo, Matthews, Simms, Edwards, DeHart, Kobi Owen, and Artigues. His recruiting of pitching was not what we hoped, but who is to say he wouldn’t have coached them up given the success he has had at Sam Houston, Tulane, and UT.

I know it was a challenge for him here and he said so, but he did manage to recruit some pretty good talent, especially offensively.
That list proves the point that he didn't recruit well while here. Thank goodness you're just a fan and not our recruiting coordinator.
You're only making yourself look bad by criticizing Pierce. He's an excellent coach, despite working with limited scholarship money due to the Gautreau class, he still managed to bring in a Freshman All-American pitcher and a 3rd round draft choice among others. Jewett will succeed or fail on his own merits, that Massey (or any of our other pitchers) can't throw strikes is not Pierce's fault, France transferring is not Pierce's fault, inheriting a team picked 3rd in the conference and not making the postseason is not Pierce's fault.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

The facts are he didn't recruit well overall especially pitching wise. As they say you're only as good as the next day's starting pitcher. So yes there are a few names there but not what it takes to be a Regional team. It's foolish to argue that he recruited well while here. Allen admittedly left because it was too hard to recruit here.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Of the guys mentioned above that Pierce recruited, who would you have passed on if you were the recruiting coordinator?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

windywave wrote:This is priceless.

Those who rejoice in Tulane losses and praising Tulane traitors preaching about loyalty.
Come on Windbag, pink and so weak.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tjtlja wrote:

Those who rejoice in Tulane losses and praising Tulane traitors preaching about loyalty.
Come on Windbag, pink and so weak.
That does not make sense. I'd say that was the ranting of a lunatic, but why be repetitive?

It's telling you think that post was about you
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:His recruiting wasn’t terrible either. He recruited Massey, Hoese, Spoon, Jeremy, Soleski, Gillies, Glancy, Zubia, Gozzo, Matthews, Simms, Edwards, DeHart, Kobi Owen, and Artigues. His recruiting of pitching was not what we hoped, but who is to say he wouldn’t have coached them up given the success he has had at Sam Houston, Tulane, and UT.

I know it was a challenge for him here and he said so, but he did manage to recruit some pretty good talent, especially offensively.
That list proves the point that he didn't recruit well while here. Thank goodness you're just a fan and not our recruiting coordinator.
Spoon is the only one who played consistently well for three years and got better each year. You do know how we got him. He was a basketball player that realized late his sport at this level would be baseball. He visited Northwestern State. The coach their could tell he wanted something bigger and called the Tulane staff to bring him to our attention. Thanks to him for that. . Gillies showed this year. Mathews got hot late and if he picks up where he left off he'll be good. Jeremy was good enough. Massey has been a one hit wonder. Is it coaching or is it something else? We'll soon find out. Hoese and Artigues are limited defensively. Hoese also needs to hit for more power. The rest didn't come here or aren't the type we need to make Regionals. The lack of pitchers on your list tells one all they need to know.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

If I rejoiced in Tulane losses, wouldn’t I be the happiest guy here?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:

If I rejoiced in Tulane losses, wouldn’t I be the happiest guy here?
Daresay giddy
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Well that contradicts what you normally say about me.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:Well that contradicts what you normally say about me.
Not at all. You relish Tulane losses because it proves your thesis. Me, I hate losses regardless of my thesis
#cousins don't count
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Windbag, your insults are not as crisp today. Or perhaps losing your repetitive touch.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

windywave wrote:
Not at all. You relish Tulane losses because it proves your thesis. Me, I hate losses regardless of my thesis
It definitely contradicts what you’ve said in the past. In the past when I’ve complained about the losses you’ve said I was a miserable person. Now you’re saying that I’m happy with us losing. That’s like the definition of a contradiction.

As for you hating all losses, could’ve fooled me. I don’t think I’ve seen a single complaint from you about how bad the baseball team has performed the past two seasons.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

wavedom wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Spoon is the only one who played consistently well for three years and got better each year. You do know how we got him. He was a basketball player that realized late his sport at this level would be baseball. He visited Northwestern State. The coach their could tell he wanted something bigger and called the Tulane staff to bring him to our attention. Thanks to him for that. . Gillies showed this year. Mathews got hot late and if he picks up where he left off he'll be good. Jeremy was good enough. Massey has been a one hit wonder. Is it coaching or is it something else? We'll soon find out. Hoese and Artigues are limited defensively. Hoese also needs to hit for more power. The rest didn't come here or aren't the type we need to make Regionals. The lack of pitchers on your list tells one all they need to know.
Wavedom, I will respectfully disagree. Here are my thoughts as to why these guys would be recruited and signed -

Massey - who passes on a freshman all-American
Hoese - hit .291 in his second year with five HR’s. Has already has 3-4 HR’s in summer league (wooden bats). Drafted by Royals. Defense will improve and once he fills out, power will increase. A lot to look forward to.
Spoon - great hitter and we agree on this one.
Jeremy - projected in rounds 5-12 before a couple of injuries.
Soleski - our best pitcher as a freshman from a numbers standpoint. Back injury has really set him back. A no brainer as far as signability out of high school
Gillies - most improved player on the team. Size projected him as someone you don’t pass on. Terrific kid.
Glancy - very good player all the way around. Had terrific fall before the knee injury (which was as bad a knee injury as you could have). Showed some flashes and hope that continues.
Zubia - four hole hitter for UT as a freshman
Gozzo - two year starter who has yet to have that breakout year. Probably projects more as a second baseman. The Cape should help his development. Signable out of high school - yes
Matthews - could always hit and will continue to hit
Simms - threw 94 and was drafted in 2017. I sign this type of guy all day
Cade Edwards - terrific glove and was a contact hitter. Played very well when Steph was hurt. Keeper
DeHart - 15 HR guy per year - I can find a scholarship for this type of production
Kobi Owen - can play anywhere in OF and can hit. TJ surgery was unfortunate. Talented player you don’t pass on
Artigues -hit .303 in 57 games this past year. I would say this is a good signing

All of these kids listed above are kids that can make your team better and can get you to a regional and further. We agree Pierce missed on some pitchers. But on the flip side, we just fired the guy who was responsible for making our pitchers better. And remember, Pierce handled the pitchers. Bottom line is Pierce signed some really good players and some developmental guys that he left behind. He was a terrific coach and if he stayed, we would most certainly be better off today than where we currently sit.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tjtlja wrote:Windbag, your insults are not as crisp today. Or perhaps losing your repetitive touch.
Hi pot, kettle here....
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
It definitely contradicts what you’ve said in the past. In the past when I’ve complained about the losses you’ve said I was a miserable person. Now you’re saying that I’m happy with us losing. That’s like the definition of a contradiction.

As for you hating all losses, could’ve fooled me. I don’t think I’ve seen a single complaint from you about how bad the baseball team has performed the past two seasons.
Pretty sure my issue has been you relishing losses to show you're "right" about TJ. You being a miserable human being was independent of that.

Really? I've straight up said if we aren't good next year we should fire his ass. You in the other hand were calling for him to get fired before the first pitch this year. Your agenda whilst annoying is at least not pathetic.
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I don’t relish the losses but I was kind of right.

I wouldn’t say that I wanted him fired before the season but I had my belief that Jewett was not a good coach. He had an opportunity to disprove that this year and he didn’t.

That’s the first time I’ve seen you say that we need to be good next year. Earlier In this thread you said he needed to show “marked improvement” and I believe in another thread you said he needed to be above .500
Those two things are not necessarily going to mean we’re a good team.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:I don’t relish the losses but I was kind of right.

I wouldn’t say that I wanted him fired before the season but I had my belief that Jewett was not a good coach. He had an opportunity to disprove that this year and he didn’t.

That’s the first time I’ve seen you say that we need to be good next year. Earlier In this thread you said he needed to show “marked improvement” and I believe in another thread you said he needed to be above .500
If we were above .500 this year we were in the tournament with our RPI and SoS. Marked improvement is at least .500.
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

windywave wrote:

If we were above .500 this year we were in the tournament with our RPI and SoS. Marked improvement is at least .500.
Possible, just depends on which games we’d have won. You’re probably not getting into the tournament finishing 7th or 8th in the AAC.
Even with a similar SOS, A .500 record next year should get him fired. Anything short of a regional should get him canned. This isn’t the football or basketball program, a .500 season in year 3 isn’t good enough. Especially not after 27-31 in year 1 and 25-33 in year 2.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:

Possible, just depends on which games we’d have won. You’re probably not getting into the tournament finishing 7th or 8th in the AAC.
Even with a similar SOS, A .500 record next year should get him fired. Anything short of a regional should get him canned. This isn’t the football or basketball program, a .500 season in year 3 isn’t good enough. Especially not after 27-31 in year 1 and 25-33 in year 2.
Think about what you just wrote. Look at the schedule. Do the math. If we are .500 we are in.
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:
wavedom wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Wavedom, I will respectfully disagree. Here are my thoughts as to why these guys would be recruited and signed -

Hoese - hit .291 in his second year with five HR’s. Has already has 3-4 HR’s in summer league (wooden bats). Drafted by Royals. Defense will improve and once he fills out, power will increase. A lot to look forward to.
Soleski - our best pitcher as a freshman from a numbers standpoint. Back injury has really set him back. A no brainer as far as signability out of high school
Gillies - most improved player on the team. Size projected him as someone you don’t pass on. Terrific kid.
Glancy - very good player all the way around. Had terrific fall before the knee injury (which was as bad a knee injury as you could have). Showed some flashes and hope that continues.
Gozzo - two year starter who has yet to have that breakout year. Probably projects more as a second baseman. The Cape should help his development. Signable out of high school - yes
Cade Edwards - terrific glove and was a contact hitter. Played very well when Steph was hurt. Keeper
DeHart - 15 HR guy per year - I can find a scholarship for this type of production
Kobi Owen - can play anywhere in OF and can hit. TJ surgery was unfortunate. Talented player you don’t pass on
Artigues -hit .303 in 57 games this past year. I would say this is a good signing

All of these kids listed above are kids that can make your team better and can get you to a regional and further. We agree Pierce missed on some pitchers. But on the flip side, we just fired the guy who was responsible for making our pitchers better. And remember, Pierce handled the pitchers. Bottom line is Pierce signed some really good players and some developmental guys that he left behind. He was a terrific coach and if he stayed, we would most certainly be better off today than where we currently sit.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Massey did have a great freshman year. He hasn't done anything since. Hopefully Latham figures it out for him.
Hoese is serviceable but I don't see the defense coming around for him. The range to either side is not there. He really reacts poorly.
We all agree Spoon was a good get.
we agree Jeremy got derailed by injuries. Not saying this b/c he's your son but he had started coming on on the mound before the arm injury. Then to tough it out and put the surgery off to hit for us makes him a favorite.
As to Soleski that's not saying much. He could never give more than 3 or 4 decent innings in a start.
Gillies did come on this year. Hopefully he takes a similar step forward next year. He has a bad habit of giving up a homer almost every time out. Gotta get that behind him.
Glancy hasn't done much. Has a lot to prove.
Zubia didn't come here.
Gozzo has to be replaced.
I'm a big fan of Mathews but no he couldn't always hit. He was given chances early and didn't cash in. He even went 0-17 during one period. The staff didn't give up on him and it paid off. we'll have something if he picks up where he left off.
Simms was ok. As we know there's more to it than throwing hard.
Strongly disagree on Edwards.
DeHart never hit 15 home runs while he was here.
Owen hasn't done anything at this point.
Artigues is another favorite for being willing to volunteer to help catch last year after the position was devastated by injuries. He's not up to snuff defensively.

As you said we agree he didn't bring in the pitching that's much needed. Jewett brought some in this year that hopefully Latham makes shine as they showed good stuff when they got it over. We would have been better off with him but he would have seen his Regional streak broken.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:

Think about what you just wrote. Look at the schedule. Do the math. If we are .500 we are in.
You are wrong .500 isn’t getting you in. Find me a single team that has ever got in as an at-large at 29-29. It doesn’t happen. Our RPI was like 85 on selection Monday. Is 4 wins worth 40 spots in the RPI? UCF got left out with an RPI around 40-45.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
wavedom wrote:
wavedom wrote:

We'll have to agree to disagree. Massey did have a great freshman year. He hasn't done anything since. Hopefully Latham figures it out for him.
Hoese is serviceable but I don't see the defense coming around for him. The range to either side is not there. He really reacts poorly.
we agree Jeremy got derailed by injuries. Not saying this b/c he's your son but he had started coming on on the mound before the arm injury. Then to tough it out and put the surgery off to hit for us makes him a favorite.
As to Soleski that's not saying much. He could never give more than 3 or 4 decent innings in a start.
Gillies did come on this year. Hopefully he takes a similar step forward next year. He has a bad habit of giving up a homer almost every time out. Gotta get that behind him.
Zubia didn't come here.
I'm a big fan of Mathews but no he couldn't always hit. He was given chances early and didn't cash in. He even went 0-17 during one period. The staff didn't give up on him and it paid off. we'll have something if he picks up where he left off.
Artigues is another favorite for being willing to volunteer to help catch last year after the position was devastated by injuries. He's not up to snuff defensively.

As you said we agree he didn't bring in the pitching that's much needed. Jewett brought some in this year that hopefully Latham makes shine as they showed good stuff when they got it over. We would have been better off with him but he would have seen his Regional streak broken.

So tjtlja... I see injuries, injuries, injuries, injuries, injuries, & only 3 pitchers you were somewhat high on.....yep looks like that would be a regional team to me. Where is our depth at positions Pierce left us? Pierce handled pitchers but couldn't find any to recruit here? That was nice of him huh? How many World Series teams have crappy pitching? Pitching should/will always be #1 priority & he dropped the literal ball.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

BACONWAVE wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
wavedom wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Zubia didn't come here.

So tjtlja... I see injuries, injuries, injuries, injuries, injuries, & only 3 pitchers you were somewhat high on.....yep looks like that would be a regional team to me. Where is our depth at positions Pierce left us? Pierce handled pitchers but couldn't find any to recruit here? That was nice of him huh? How many World Series teams have crappy pitching? Pitching should/will always be #1 priority & he dropped the literal ball.
And Jewett brought in like 10 pitchers and as a group they were really bad. No criticism of that though?
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
wavedom wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Zubia didn't come here.

And Jewett brought in like 10 pitchers and as a group they were really bad. No criticism of that though?
He had no choice but to bring in pitchers since the cupboard was bare. Many lacked experience like I have already mentioned. Having a full year & summer ball will help dramatically as well as new pitching coach. I have also mentioned advantages Pierce had with bringing his coaches in with him that have been with him for several years. Somehow you & your bud don't think a new head coach has problems getting to know a team with new coaches,& again with another coach, & again with another coach coming up. Ya'll going all out not wanting to see the whole picture yet again. Jewett has a plan & pitching is obviously the major part. Sit back & relax till next season.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!