Doing some research for a project on 1998 Undefeated Wave

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Doing some research for a project on 1998 Undefeated Wave

Post by fearthewave »

Hey guys, needed some help and wanted to turn here first.

Got an idea in my head that I'm been fired up about to do an in depth project on the 1998 undefeated team. I'd like to figure out if it's a good idea first with some research -- was anyone on the board a member of the team and/or involved in any way (I'm talking equipment staff or anything else)?

Would really like to shoot you an email or give you a call if so with some questions. Shoot me a DM here, email me (jp @ fearthewave.com) or tweet at us if you're on Twitter.
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Re: Doing some research for a project on 1998 Undefeated Wav

Post by fearthewave »

Update: thanks to whoever forwarded this around. Starting to get some emails. That helps too!
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

You need to talk with Alden Hagadorn and also with Jimmy Ordinaux.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Just out of curiosity, is this something for your blog or something else (like a book or video project)? Just curious; I'll be interested to read or view it either way.
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Post by fearthewave »

GretnaGrn wrote:Just out of curiosity, is this something for your blog or something else (like a book or video project)? Just curious; I'll be interested to read or view it either way.
I'll tip my hand here a little bit. It's going to be an audio podcast (right now, looking like 5 episodes), and I want to chronicle the 1998 season from the beginning (which I am starting at the end of the Buddy era) all the way up to the BYU game and the aftermath.

I've done about 4 hours of interviews so far, and I think this is going to come together (after a lot of work). It's a summer project. Getting a lot of help from former players who have helped connect me. Still tracking some folks down as the big story points emerge.

If anyone else sees this and wants to talk or thinks they can help me, I'm all ears! DM me here or on Twitter, and we can discuss.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

fearthewave wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:Just out of curiosity, is this something for your blog or something else (like a book or video project)? Just curious; I'll be interested to read or view it either way.
I'll tip my hand here a little bit. It's going to be an audio podcast (right now, looking like 5 episodes), and I want to chronicle the 1998 season from the beginning (which I am starting at the end of the Buddy era) all the way up to the BYU game and the aftermath.

I've done about 4 hours of interviews so far, and I think this is going to come together (after a lot of work). It's a summer project. Getting a lot of help from former players who have helped connect me. Still tracking some folks down as the big story points emerge.

If anyone else sees this and wants to talk or thinks they can help me, I'm all ears! DM me here or on Twitter, and we can discuss.
Thanks; sounds great.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

I LOVED the first episode and am looking forward to more. I'll bet you can do more than 5 podcasts out of the material you have. I have a copy of the videotape Tulane made of the highlights of the season if you don't have it.
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Post by fearthewave »

I'm stuck and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas: does anyone remember any of the media in town (print or TV) who would have covered the team in 1998? I'd like to get 1-2 for the project to talk about the season.

My initial leads came up cold though. Ideas?

Also, @Cheerleader, thank you, just shot you a PM.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

fearthewave wrote:I'm stuck and wanted to see if anyone had any ideas: does anyone remember any of the media in town (print or TV) who would have covered the team in 1998? I'd like to get 1-2 for the project to talk about the season.

My initial leads came up cold though. Ideas?
Sadly, I remember much better coverage from USAToday, including the entire front page of its sports section when it looked like we’d run the table. I’d contact them too, providing they are still in business.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

Ed Daniels was certainly around in 1998.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Check with the Crescent City Sports guys. Ken Trahan would know for sure.
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Post by fearthewave »

First episode is back from the audio producer, and I am very stoked about this series.

Should be released Monday on all podcast apps. More to come. Thanks to everyone who helped me get started. Hope you dig it.
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Post by fearthewave »

For anyone interested, the first episode, "From Buddy to Bowden" is now out on Soundcloud and wherever you listen to podcasts:

https://soundcloud.com/user-774038550/t ... -to-bowden

This episode will detail the 1997 as the staff tries to set a new standard for Green Wave Football. Hope you enjoy.