Ryan Griffin ...

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
sr
Regent's Circle

Ryan Griffin ...

Post by sr »

was he injured over the weekend?
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Re: Ryan Griffin ...

Post by SlidellWave »

sr wrote:was he injured over the weekend?

Yes, He left the Cincy game with an injury, can't recall the specific injury, nor do I know how severe it is.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -extension

Contract extension despite shoulder injury.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Reading a lot of buzz saying Ryan could be starting QB when they face the Saints in week 1.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

waverider wrote:Reading a lot of buzz saying Ryan could be starting QB when they face the Saints in week 1.
Umm, Fitzpatrick?
Bring home da Wave!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:Reading a lot of buzz saying Ryan could be starting QB when they face the Saints in week 1.
Umm, Fitzpatrick?
Exactly.

Most of what I read said he looked better than Fitzpatrick going into last season before he got hurt and has looked better than him in workouts so far this year.
Tulane Greenbackers

doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

waverider wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Umm, Fitzpatrick?
Exactly.

Most of what I read said he looked better than Fitzpatrick going into last season before he got hurt and has looked better than him in workouts so far this year.
We'll see. That would certainly make it interesting. Personally, either are probably better than crableg fingers.
Bring home da Wave!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Umm, Fitzpatrick?
Exactly.

We'll see. That would certainly make it interesting. Personally, either are probably better than crableg fingers.
Not saying Jameis is good but he’s definitely better than Fitzpatrick and Griffin has never taken a live snap.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Umm, Fitzpatrick?
Exactly.

Not saying Jameis is good but he’s definitely better than Fitzpatrick and Griffin has never taken a live snap.
If he meant “better” in terms of who the Saints will face, then I agree with “better”.
Tulane Greenbackers

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Umm, Fitzpatrick?
Exactly.

If he meant “better” in terms of who the Saints will face, then I agree with “better”.
Maybe he meant "personally" as in a better person, in which case I also agree.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

ml wave wrote:
waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Umm, Fitzpatrick?
Exactly.

I did, but also:

Famous Jameis: W-L 18-27, 69 TDs, 44 INTs

Fitzpatrick 48-70, 173-136

So would you really call Jameis the "better" QB - oh sure, talent, potential, athleticism, - not much to show for it.

Look, I get it, Fitzpatrick is not Joe Montana either, but Winston has been a bust and I wouldn't feel more confident as a Saints fan facing Fitzpatrick the backup.
Bring home da Wave!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

doncecco wrote:
ml wave wrote:
waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Umm, Fitzpatrick?
Exactly.

I did, but also:

Famous Jameis: W-L 18-27, 69 TDs, 44 INTs

Fitzpatrick 48-70, 173-136

So would you really call Jameis the "better" QB - oh sure, talent, potential, athleticism, - not much to show for it.

Look, I get it, Fitzpatrick is not Joe Montana either, but Winston has been a bust and I wouldn't feel more confident as a Saints fan facing Fitzpatrick the backup.
Thanks for the clarification, that makes more sense.

I don’t think looking at Wins and losses or career numbers is a good way to compare the two. Fitz is getting worse and Winston can still get better. Winston has had a better passer rating the last two seasons.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If you put all the true 1st round QB busts in a single file line Winston would need binoculars to find Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, & Will I Smith.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

long green wrote:If you put all the true 1st round QB busts in a single file line Winston would need binoculars to find Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, & Will I Smith.
If you were Tampa holding that same pick, would you pick him again? 2nd round?

Me - NO.
Bring home da Wave!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

It would be great if Griffin got some playing time. I'm rooting for him. However it's his salary of $1.8 million that merits the true attention here.

He has never thrown a pass in an NFL game. I know quarterbacks are special situations but this simply highlights how much money is washing around players for the major sports. More importantly it reminds why any player of talent even on the margin for playing pro usually signs a contract as soon as feasible versus getting/continuing a college education. I'm thinking of Destin Dotson as best recent example and I was surprised (and glad) Ona Embo did not head off to Europe but stayed.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryangriffin/2541185/profile
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Baywave1 wrote:It would be great if Griffin got some playing time. I'm rooting for him. However it's his salary of $1.8 million that merits the true attention here.

He has never thrown a pass in an NFL game. I know quarterbacks are special situations but this simply highlights how much money is washing around players for the major sports. More importantly it reminds why any player of talent even on the margin for playing pro usually signs a contract as soon as feasible versus getting/continuing a college education. I'm thinking of Destin Dotson as best recent example and I was surprised (and glad) Ona Embo did not head off to Europe but stayed.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryangriffin/2541185/profile
Not at all being a contrarian here, but my concern would be a 20-something brain with a $1.8M wallet. If any of these blessed athletes take a large chunk of money and live like the spigot will stay open for more than a year...well, we know how that story ends. No big houses, multiple cars, bankrolling relatives, and that money should last for decades. Long enough so when the playing days are over they are still set for life.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

TUPF, Example one in your backyard, one Alan Iverson.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/artic ... till-2030/

Meanwhile neighborhood minor league player took his bonus money and built a home across the street. Now his dad was the contractor so he got a deal,but still he just drives a nice new pickup as his splurge purchase and that was it. Nice guy but I doubt he ever makes the majors. Meanwhile he has a nice fully paid residence for if and when he moves on from pro ball.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Baywave1 wrote:TUPF, Example one in your backyard, one Alan Iverson.

Meanwhile neighborhood minor league player took his bonus money and built a home across the street. Now his dad was the contractor so he got a deal,but still he just drives a nice new pickup as his splurge purchase and that was it. Nice guy but I doubt he ever makes the majors. Meanwhile he has a nice fully paid residence for if and when he moves on from pro ball.
Yup, on both. I am particularly sensitive to this because I keep getting questions about how my wife and I retired early. When I tell them it wasn’t magic I get incredulous stares.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

While I completely agree with the premise that these guys should be investing wisely, at least Iverson has the 2030 "rainy day fund". Even with losing half in a divorce, I'm betting there's a bank out there that would hand him $10M right now for a promise of that $15M in 2030. If he were able to mentally get past the ridiculous spending habits, he could live just fine on a well-invested $10M while working on a way to make a living post-basketball.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:

While I completely agree with the premise that these guys should be investing wisely, at least Iverson has the 2030 "rainy day fund". Even with losing half in a divorce, I'm betting there's a bank out there that would hand him $10M right now for a promise of that $15M in 2030. If he were able to mentally get past the ridiculous spending habits, he could live just fine on a well-invested $10M while working on a way to make a living post-basketball.
Could Iverson figure out a way to monetize the Reebok "trust" early? Probably. Mike Tyson did it after his first managers tried to put money aside for him for retirement. He invaded the annuity, fired the managers and hired Don King. No surprises thereafter but still jaw dropping waste.

Money quote: "By the time Tyson went to prison in 1992, he was in financial trouble for the first time. He was forced to borrow $1 million from a $2.7 million annuity set up by former managers Bill Cayton and Jimmy Jacobs in 1988 to help pay his mounting legal bills, according to court documents."

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ug=2743499
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Does this mean that Winston does not have to steal crablegs to survive?
Bring home da Wave!
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

visualmagic wrote:
doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Umm, Fitzpatrick?
Exactly.

Hmmmm, "definitely" better than Fitzpatrick.... :roll:
Bring home da Wave!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

doncecco wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
doncecco wrote:
waverider wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Umm, Fitzpatrick?
Exactly.

Hmmmm, "definitely" better than Fitzpatrick.... :roll:
You know what, this 2 game sample size is really a great indication of who Fitz is as a QB. :roll:
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Even with 3 picks last night, I'd still trust Fitz over Jameis, if I was a Bucs fan. Now the wheels will come off, with or without Fitz.
Bring home da Wave!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

The way he’s playing right now, I’d probably stick with the hot hand too but I still say Winston is a better QB, almost all the numbers reflect that