Would you draft Frazier in the first round?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: Would you draft Frazier in the first round?

Post by gerryb323 »

NBA Draft 2018: 12 players outside the lottery that will out-perform their draft position
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com ... -position/
Frazier listed as an "x factor" but apparently sources close to the program say his 38% from 3 might be flukey. We have sources???? We have sources!!!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:NBA Draft 2018: 12 players outside the lottery that will out-perform their draft position
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com ... -position/
Frazier listed as an "x factor" but apparently sources close to the program say his 38% from 3 might be flukey. We have sources???? We have sources!!!
His name is Mike
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Golden State Warriors impressed with Tulane's Melvin Frazier after workout: report

https://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf ... resse.html

The Warriors, who have the 28th pick in the first round, plan to replace two big men with big guards or small forwards who can guard multiple positions.

the growing trend in the NBA moving away from traditional "Big Men" type Centers is helping a guy like Frazier.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

can't find a single mock draft with him in the 1st round, now

Guess we'll know in about 12 hours if he made a mistake or not
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

I think he'll be picked in the first.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Johnny Mac wrote:can't find a single mock draft with him in the 1st round, now

Guess we'll know in about 12 hours if he made a mistake or not

Si.com has him to Atlanta at 30 (last pick of 1st) and The Athletic yesterday had him to Golden State at 28 and today has him to the Lakers at 25.

Hope one of them is right.
Billow
Coach Level

Post by Billow »

This series against Northwestern should’ve been started 50 years ago!
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

It's not up to me whether he gets picked in the 1st, but all of the teams voted "no."
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Neither he nor the kid from Chalmette expected to go in the first round were taken.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Orlando Magic take him. I don't hate it!
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Congrats Melvin! Make us proud!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Damn, Orlando could put on a pretty sweet dunk contest just with players on their roster! Good luck Mel!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

1309th WAVE wrote:Orlando Magic take him. I don't hate it!
Kind of a disaster of an organization...hope he makes the best of it.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Melvin is the highest picked Tulane player ever, just beating out Jerald Honeycutt. Jerald did not do much in the NBA but had a very long and successful career overseas.

Good luck to Melvin. Sure would have liked to have seen him play his Senior year after all the draft camp experience.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

would have liked to have seen him go in the First Round but I guess he had too many unknowns for that. Can he score consistently, can he shoot enough 3 point shots to make defenses respect that shot, etc. Still quite an honor to get selected so high just wish it was to a less dysfunctional organization.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote:Melvin is the highest picked Tulane player ever, just beating out Jerald Honeycutt. Jerald did not do much in the NBA but had a very long and successful career overseas.

Good luck to Melvin. Sure would have liked to have seen him play his Senior year after all the draft camp experience.
I believe last night during the draft they said only 2 seniors were taken in the first round and Bridges from Villanova was a redshirt junior. I think Frazier could have really improved his game with one more year in college but who knows if it would have actually improved his draft position. Orlando is basketball purgatory at the moment but at least he will have a chance to get some minutes.

I just read that every college player selected in the top 50 of the 2 drafts prior to this one (30 players) received guaranteed money. 22 of the 30 received two year guarantees and 8 one year. Apparently, a 2 year guarantee means at least $2.19 million. The NBA minimum salary is $815,615 for a 1 year guarantee. 3 players got more guaranteed money than the minimum.

Long story short, even the most incompetent agent will get him at least the $815,615 and as the number 35 pick a decent agent should get him two years.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

NJwave wrote:Long story short, even the most incompetent agent will get him at least the $815,615 and as the number 35 pick a decent agent should get him two years.
if I were a bigger NBA fan, I'd know how their contracts work.. but does he make NBA money playing in the D league, which is where a smart NBA team would send him (and the Magic doesn't fit the bill of a 'smart' NBA team by any stretch).. CBS gave the Magic a C+ for the pick... everyone raves about him being a 3 and D type player.. not sure why they think he's hitting NBA threes but he's going to be a nice defender
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GreenieBacker wrote:would have liked to have seen him go in the First Round but I guess he had too many unknowns for that. Can he score consistently, can he shoot enough 3 point shots to make defenses respect that shot, etc. Still quite an honor to get selected so high just wish it was to a less dysfunctional organization.
In any given year, picks from 20-45 (+/- on either end...) are almost totally fungible.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
NJwave wrote:Long story short, even the most incompetent agent will get him at least the $815,615 and as the number 35 pick a decent agent should get him two years.
if I were a bigger NBA fan, I'd know how their contracts work.. but does he make NBA money playing in the D league, which is where a smart NBA team would send him (and the Magic doesn't fit the bill of a 'smart' NBA team by any stretch).. CBS gave the Magic a C+ for the pick... everyone raves about him being a 3 and D type player.. not sure why they think he's hitting NBA threes but he's going to be a nice defender
If he gets signed to an NBA deal, he would make NBA money. They have new 2 way contacts that are like a hybrid where they can spend up to 45 days in the NBA and make NBA league minimum, but otherwise are in the G league.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Before Frazier there was Honeycutt …

https://twitter.com/TulaneAthletics/sta ... 44480?s=20
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Melvin led Magic players in minutes last night and performed respectably. Magic GM interviewed by ESPN was understandably professionally courteous in his comments about MF but gave standard training camp disclosures. As article notes, if Magic is to improve this year, it must be with defense. So perhaps MF did end up with the right team for his skill set.

Meanwhile these are practice games against not quite notable competition. I recall an MLB PBP guy once calling the 7th inning and on of a Cactus League game as the "some dudes (are) in the lineup" portion of the exhibition game. Pretty much sums up what I saw with an occasional Bomba and Melvin thrown into the lineup to keep us interested.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

While flipping channels, I briefly caught Cam Reynolds hitting a shot for Sacramento's SL team last night.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Tulane's Melvin Frazier looking to prove himself with Orlando Magic's summer league team

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 954c8.html

After former NBA player and coach Mike Dunleavy took over at Tulane in March of 2016, Frazier went from shooting 40 percent as a freshman to 55.6 percent as a junior, including 38.5 percent on 3-pointers.

Moreover, Dunleavy’s extensive NBA experience gave Frazier what he calls the “cheat codes” to the pro offenses, adding that the concepts are similar and just have “different names.”