Commitment #5 is in!

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Billow
Coach Level

Commitment #5 is in!

Unread post by Billow »

Javonte McGriff C 6’2 275 from Thomasville, GA
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Commitment #5 is in!

Unread post by long green »

Right now this is self-reported. Mcgriff has offers from Ohio, Middle Tennessee, FAU, & both GSU'S.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

So three OL'men out of five commits.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »

Coach Adkins and Wesley Fritz have retweeted. FWIW. Troy, south Alabama and few other of those type offered as well.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Do we have any commitments where we were competing against AAC type schools? Coming off last years class, I thought the competition would be much stiffer than what we are seeing. Also, is the current Louisiana class considered weak? In all the info on offers this year, Louisiana doesn’t get mentioned very often. Finally, we need QB’s. Are we close on any particular QB?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I'm not into recruiting and I could be totally wrong but my impression is that "smaller" programs are almost always the first to offer guys who are not known as studs from grade school (sadly, when scouting starts). It's a big marker against the big boys, saying "remember who offered first and has believed in you all along". Plus with the early signing date now, I think they hope to steal guys by getting in early. The big boys spend their early time working relationships with the obvious 4- & -5-star guys, still assuming they can swoop in whenever they want on other guys as needed. And of course, some of these guys might not be rated now, but if they play well in camps or early next year and suddenly garner stars, the big boys will jump then.

At least that's how I'm rationalizing the current competition for the recruits we're getting to commit thus far..
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »

Along with what Pete said, remember we have a RB - who was injured most of 2017 - and 4 TE/O line - committed so far. All 3 positions where we recruit different attributes than most schools - so there are good reasons why strictly comparing to other P6 offers in those situations may not truly tell the story. The 3 guys listed as commits on 247 so far are all 3 stars as well - so we aren't the only ones seeing something in them.

Also, this staff has more than proven an ability to stay "fluid" (for lack of a better term) during the recruitment/commitment process. The early composition of the class hasn't necessarily been the final product. They certainly have proven the ability to put a top notch class together when all is said and done.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

+1. When looking at O-Linemen, remember we want guys who are mobile, have a good frame that is not maxed out and who are position versatile. Corey Dublin was a really good player for us last year as a freshman, and he had offers from Ball State, LA Tech, ULL, ULM and UTSA. Three LA schools and two schools with a huge LA presence. He was a recruiting afterthought until signing day when Georgia Tech offered him at the last minute and LSU tried to get him to be a preferred walk-on. He's going to be a 4 year starter (and a very good one) for us. We'll get a better idea of how well the staff evaluates offensive linemen this year and next when others start to play: Claybrook, Lewerenz, Swann, Jackel, Hogan, Remondet etc.
This one belongs to the Wave.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Donny Z wrote:Along with what Pete said, remember we have a RB - who was injured most of 2017 - and 4 TE/O line - committed so far. All 3 positions where we recruit different attributes than most schools - so there are good reasons why strictly comparing to other P6 offers in those situations may not truly tell the story. The 3 guys listed as commits on 247 so far are all 3 stars as well - so we aren't the only ones seeing something in them.

Also, this staff has more than proven an ability to stay "fluid" (for lack of a better term) during the recruitment/commitment process. The early composition of the class hasn't necessarily been the final product. They certainly have proven the ability to put a top notch class together when all is said and done.
Curious as to what you think we're looking for differently in a RB?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:I'm not into recruiting and I could be totally wrong but my impression is that "smaller" programs are almost always the first to offer guys who are not known as studs from grade school (sadly, when scouting starts). It's a big marker against the big boys, saying "remember who offered first and has believed in you all along". Plus with the early signing date now, I think they hope to steal guys by getting in early. The big boys spend their early time working relationships with the obvious 4- & -5-star guys, still assuming they can swoop in whenever they want on other guys as needed. And of course, some of these guys might not be rated now, but if they play well in camps or early next year and suddenly garner stars, the big boys will jump then.

At least that's how I'm rationalizing the current competition for the recruits we're getting to commit thus far..
Good take on the state of our recruiting.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Good points by posters above. In short, I think early signing date has significantly helped Tulane recruiting. I also find "fluid" style is a great description. WF and staff were very successful in rump recruiting period ending in February (and even now with transfers and preferred walkons) to fill out the class.

However it's reasonable to assume 80%+ of players will continue to take bird in hand in December. Meanwhile WF is disciplined. He clearly does not just sign bodies at first recruiting date and has enough confidence in the literal year-round recruiting skills of his staff that he will satisfactorily top off the December base of newly signed players later in the recruiting cycle.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

I really like McGriff's hudl reel. He's playing at a big school that plays other big schools so the competition level is high. The question with him is his size. I think the 275 is an exaggeration. Will he grow? If his grades are solid I could see Ga Tech trying to snatch him away late like they did with Charlie Clark. I wonder also if Mcgriff plays any defense for THS.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Who is the #4 recruit in the class?
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

tjtlja wrote:Who is the #4 recruit in the class?
Mr. Jackson -
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50955
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

sr wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Who is the #4 recruit in the class?
Mr. Jackson -
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50955
Mr Fort, I think
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

Javonte McGriff just flipped from Tulane to Georgia Southern. No info on this decision although I know McGriff had yet to visit Tulane officially.
This one belongs to the Wave.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

TU23 wrote:Javonte McGriff just flipped from Tulane to Georgia Southern. No info on this decision although I know McGriff had yet to visit Tulane officially.
Let's hope this "flip" was more of the mutual variety...