Offseason Conditioning

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Offseason Conditioning

Unread post by RI WAVE »

Any word on how the team looks? Have the Freshman arrived? Are they in Summer school classes? Are they in the weight room? Any observations?
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Re: Offseason Conditioning

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

RI WAVE wrote:Any word on how the team looks? Have the Freshman arrived? Are they in Summer school classes? Are they in the weight room? Any observations?
Check Coach Speer’s Twitter. He periodically tweets out video of players doing reps.
djh
Coach Level

Unread post by djh »

RI WAVE wrote:Any word on how the team looks? Have the Freshman arrived? Are they in Summer school classes? Are they in the weight room? Any observations?
Good questions, anyone know anything......anything??????
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

A tweet from May 29th picturing some of the freshmen -
https://twitter.com/CoachKyleSpeer/stat ... 49312?s=20
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by RI WAVE »

Can’t believe we do not have anyone on this board who is on campus over the summer. Seem to remember that Toledo made a big deal out of putting athletes through summer school to avoid issues during the season. Almost everyone went to SS. Seems we never did that before because of the cost.

Then there was the documentary on the 98 team, and all the pre season conditioning that got them ready. Reps and heavy cardio would seem to be two different things. We are light in #’s, team conditioning will be critical to a successful season.

If anyone is on campus, could you do some snooping around and give us a report? Just curious as to anyone’s insight into what is happening.

Thanks!
charlamange8
Navigator Level

Unread post by charlamange8 »

Everyone is on campus working out save one recruit we are waiting on...this time of year no news is good news. All quiet means no one is getting into trouble.
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price." - Sun Tzu
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

charlamange8 wrote:Everyone is on campus working out save one recruit we are waiting on...this time of year no news is good news. All quiet means no one is getting into trouble.
This.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

charlamange8 wrote:...this time of year no news is good news. All quiet means no one is getting into trouble.
Exactly. I hope we don't hear a word until practice starts in August.

Anyone want to talk uniforms? Scheduling idealogy? Food? :lol:
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:
charlamange8 wrote:...this time of year no news is good news. All quiet means no one is getting into trouble.
Exactly. I hope we don't hear a word until practice starts in August.

Anyone want to talk uniforms? Scheduling idealogy? Food? :lol:
No black or Gray; 2 P5~1 tough G5~1 cupcake; considering the carnivore diet.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Billow
Coach Level

Unread post by Billow »

Speaking of conditioning.......anyone on that 1998 team will tell you the conditioning started in the spring with wrestling and workouts that kept their legs burning and kids throwing up and being designated with different color jerseys to show level of fight along with some animal instincts. The preseason August camp at St Paul's just added to the conditioning....
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by RI WAVE »

Thanks for the update. Don’t expect any trouble from this team.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

My brother played for Jim Pittman in the 70's and tells graphic stories of their conditioning. "Put us in a room with helmets and punji (?) sticks, closed the doors and windows and tried to find out who was the toughest".
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Cheerleader wrote:My brother played for Jim Pittman in the 70's and tells graphic stories of their conditioning. "Put us in a room with helmets and punji (?) sticks, closed the doors and windows and tried to find out who was the toughest".
I suspect it was pugil sticks. Punji sticks are something the Viet Cong coated with toxins and embedded into the bottom of booby-trap holes.
("punji stakes," actually)
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Billow wrote:Speaking of conditioning.......anyone on that 1998 team will tell you the conditioning started in the spring with wrestling and workouts that kept their legs burning and kids throwing up and being designated with different color jerseys to show level of fight along with some animal instincts. The preseason August camp at St Paul's just added to the conditioning....
Different colored jerseys. Ingenious.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
charlamange8
Navigator Level

The absolute worst thing wasn't the scheduled running, sideline-2-sideline timed gassers, 1.5 mile timed runs (and at 240lbs that is a long way to run!), 300 yard shuttles were THE worst, and after each of those runs we would then hear Coach I..."line up at the 10!". We had ten 10-yard sprints on a snap count...you had to sprint through the line and turn around and be ready for the next one...unfortunately if 1 person didn't finish through the line the sprint didn't count. :blue: The first 3 or 4 everything was great, I mean you were seeing stars, colors and people were throwing up, but I mean we were good. Then Coach I would yell out, "that one didn't count!" :xmad: WHAT!!! Someone didn't sprint through the line! Or someone wasn't down, or some other BS; we always ended up running like 18 or so. It was pure torture!

Then came THE CONDITIONING TEST! This was just pure evil on the part of Coach I and Coach Bowden. At 8am on a balmy August day, the crucible began. It consisted of 3x300 yard timed shuttle runs, with the cones spaced 25 yards apart, so you had to go down and back 12 times. The stopping, starting and turning turned your legs to jello. I think WR, DBs had 62 seconds, LBs, FBs and TEs (and DE's too :^( ) had 67 secs and Linemen had 72 secs with like a 2 minute rest in-between. OMG we almost died out there, the last shuttle run was sheer guts, will and heart to finish. But oh no, we weren't done yet...had to come back at 3PM and run a timed 1.5 mile run or 6 laps around the track (mind you your legs and especially hamstrings were just mush), and the lighter you were the farther you had to run. For every 10lbs under 250 the run increased by 100M. Some of the WR's had like 7.5 laps! Skinny bums! I remember running the last 2 laps with my quads cramping on every step, but I just followed Ryan Brewer who always made his time and I finished at 11:55! Zander Robinson actually collapsed on the back straight and needed 2 bags of IV fluids (they said he passed the test since he went as far his body could go). I don't know if I've ever been more relived than after that day, cause those who missed their times had to run extra conditioning at NOON during camp in Covington.
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
charlamange8
Navigator Level

TUPF wrote:
Billow wrote:Speaking of conditioning.......anyone on that 1998 team will tell you the conditioning started in the spring with wrestling and workouts that kept their legs burning and kids throwing up and being designated with different color jerseys to show level of fight along with some animal instincts. The preseason August camp at St Paul's just added to the conditioning....

Yeah top performers got Green Jerseys, mediocre got white, bad performers got yellow and injured got red. You did NOT want to be in a yellow jersey. They had a garbage can at every station to throw up in...
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

charlamange8 wrote:
TUPF wrote:

Yeah top performers got Green Jerseys, mediocre got white, bad performers got yellow and injured got red. You did NOT want to be in a yellow jersey. They had a garbage can at every station to throw up in...
What? No participation trophies? :green wink:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

charlamange8 wrote:
TUPF wrote:

Was there a lot of movement between jersey colors?
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

charlamange8 wrote:
TUPF wrote:
I read that and sigh because that sort of thing probably wouldn't fly today. Too "demeaning" or something. :roll:

Char, did the basketball team still do their preseason conditioning on the track during your practices by that time? I played about 3-4 years before you got there and we did conditioning out there and then went in the gym and did more. We used to talk smack to the football players during their practice as we were running on the track about how we were outworking them and how they were slow and fat. :lol: :lol:
I could rattle off some of our conditioning drills but I won't steal your thunder. 8)
Either way, we can all agree that conditioning in New Orleans in August and September (not to mention summer workouts in June and July) is not for the mentally weak!
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wave Revival »

Read Junction Boys about Bear Bryant's first preseason camp at Texas A&M. He would have probably been arrested today for what went on there in the 1950s. But whatever Bowden did, worked, because the team was ready to play Week One.

A former player from Scelfo's first team said the team didn't have their legs back for the first game against Southern Miss. Not that it mattered, the Coaching was far worse.
charlamange8
Navigator Level

TUPF wrote:
charlamange8 wrote:
TUPF wrote:

Was there a lot of movement between jersey colors?

Not really, it was more psychological than anything. Folks would just end up in a yellow jersey, and I think the coaches wanted to see how they would respond. Green was hard to get...the worse thing was the "loafs". Any coach could give you a "loaf" for not running through the line, not doing a drill right, not sprinting to the next drill(there were 7 stations: bag jumps, 2 point wave, 4 point wave, box jumps, 60-yard shuttle, bag runs and muscle beach for those who were injured) you had to sprint from drill to drill, they could give you a loaf if they felt like it. Each drill was 6 minutes and we got 1 minute of rest between each drill. After the running, jumping, puking and etc. were done we would gather up and they would read off everyone's name. If you didn't have a loaf you got a green jersey (rare), for every loaf you had, you had to run a gasser, man some folks would have like 10! It was awful, you were just paranoid about everything.
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
charlamange8
Navigator Level

PeteRasche wrote:
charlamange8 wrote:
TUPF wrote:
I read that and sigh because that sort of thing probably wouldn't fly today. Too "demeaning" or something. :roll:

Char, did the basketball team still do their preseason conditioning on the track during your practices by that time? I played about 3-4 years before you got there and we did conditioning out there and then went in the gym and did more. We used to talk smack to the football players during their practice as we were running on the track about how we were outworking them and how they were slow and fat. :lol: :lol:
I could rattle off some of our conditioning drills but I won't steal your thunder. 8)
Either way, we can all agree that conditioning in New Orleans in August and September (not to mention summer workouts in June and July) is not for the mentally weak!

Man Pete, we would see the b-ball players running on the track while we were going out to do drills, and they looked like they were just chilling out running laps. We would all assume it was easy to run when you're 6-8 and 200lbs, Ledaryl Billingsly and Keith Harris always had jokes while they were running, but I am sure you guys had your own tales of horror. Byron Mouton was cool, a couple of his cousins were on the football team, Mitch and Jon-Robert Mouton. Watari Marsh was aight too, we had some classes together and would hang out in stadium place.
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

Parker and I were doing head shots (me) and action shots for the starters (Parker), a couple of weeks ago, and all but a handful of football players were there.

I’ve said it before, and I’m sure there are some doubters, this group of coaches, administration and support personnel, is the most professional, organized group I’ve ever seen at Tulane Football.

Sure hope that translates to WINS!
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by RI WAVE »

Dead quiet... no news is good news- still does not make it easy. Anyone look like they grew a few inches taller. How about muscle mass.

Anyone see the 7on7 workouts- anyone showing some improvement. Could a dark horse break into 1st or 2 nd string rotation from what you are seeing- do the freshman d linemen look like they will hold their own. This is a tough time to be a wave fan, when you see news, but not on your team! Dead quiet?.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

Not sure if you are on Twitter, or Instagram, but quite a few players have been posting about workouts, (Coach Spear, as mentioned earlier in the thread). Follow these guys - they like the attention, and it helps if you like or retweet some of their messages.

Can’t wait to see them when practices start in August. They are working out now, but there are rules, as to how things have to be done (voluntary, non-coach supervision, etc).

The biggest improvement over the past 2 years is the athletic nutrition center. Protein drinks, fruits, etc, are available, as needed. I remember years ago, parents having BBQ get togethers, so their sons didn’t lose weight over the summer. No longer an issue (or shouldn’t be).