Basketball recruiting update

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Basketball recruiting update

Post by NJwave »

We currently have an open spot and Walker will sit out the year as a transfer. Depth was a major issue last year and having only 11 scholarship athletes available to play with 3 being freshman and 2 coming back from injury would be a tough way to enter the season. I don't want to see us throw away a scholarship on a total project like we did a few years back with Jones but we need more depth. A grad transfer is still ideal.

Are there any players currently on the radar?
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Basketball recruiting update

Post by long green »

How was one year of Jones (that's all it was) throwing away a scholarship? Eleven is fine for starters, there are probably many teams starting off there.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:How was one year of Jones (that's all it was) throwing away a scholarship? Eleven is fine for starters, there are probably many teams starting off there.
Not that there were long term ramifications, but to the outside eye we got literally zero out of that scholarship.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

To me, there's no "throwing away" unless the scholarship is tied up for more than a year.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:To me, there's no "throwing away" unless the scholarship is tied up for more than a year.
Yeah, there's still an opportunity cost but I can't get too upset at a one year reset.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

At this time, you would think there are just a handful of guys that fit what we want. I will try to find out if we are currently shopping.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

As of today, we are not recruiting anymore 2018 kids.
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Post by Wave Revival »

We just had a losing season, two guys from that team are now on NBA rosters, and they're being replaced by whom.....? How is Tulane going to improve over this past season?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Good question. We can’t replace Frazier but we do return three guys who averaged double digits in scoring (I bump up Cornish by .1 to say that) plus a returnee in Daniels who could out score all of those three next year.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

is Zhang going to make it to school this fall?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Still up in the air for Zhang.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

I heard/read that Zhang is a clearinghouse issue at this point.

It's hard to say how a team that lost 2 players on the NBA roster will improve. But then again, how does a team with 2 players on a NBA roster have a losing season in the first place?
I'd say Barrett, Ajang, Koka can make the difference.
I've heard good things on Barrett.

I'd also see us play more of the modern space offense instead of the older (obsolete?) triangle that basically isolates players.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GSx wrote:I heard/read that Zhang is a clearinghouse issue at this point.

It's hard to say how a team that lost 2 players on the NBA roster will improve. But then again, how does a team with 2 players on a NBA roster have a losing season in the first place?

I'd also see us play more of the modern space offense instead of the older (obsolete?) triangle that basically isolates players.
Triangle? Tex Winter will come smack you upside the head.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Reynolds is playing in SL, he's far, far from an NBA roster. Frazier not guaranteed a roster spot either, for that matter.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

ml wave wrote:

Reynolds is playing in SL, he's far, far from an NBA roster. Frazier not guaranteed a roster spot either, for that matter.
You're right; and the rotation was only 8 players. Plus Embo played all summer for France and then Spain. the team understandably wore down some.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

I looked at every school in our league on Verbal Recruits. Assuming it is accurate and I counted correctly, it looks like SMU and Tulane have 11 scholarship players avaiable next year as of now. Everybody else seems to be at 12 if they took a transfer sitting out or the full 13.

You have to think the staff beleives Zhang will qualify or we would be at 10. We are already going to need freshman and players coming off injury or limited minutes to step up to be competitive. Injury or 1 or 2 guys not ready to step up would mean we have no depth again. I say find a grad transfer even if it is just someone that you know will only give you a few minutes a night.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

MD has to believe in his bench, after all he will have recruited most of them. That crazy 8 man rotation last year was a big tactical mistake, IMO.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Next season is all about Ajang and Koka. I'd love to see Zhang come but as for success in 2019 season, I don't see it mattering much yea or nay.

Meanwhile if Ajang and/or Koka improve dramatically like Reynolds and Frazier did under Dunleavy, Tulane could be a very interesting team with the new recruits supplementing the other core returnees as well.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

If we are counting on those two for next year it's going to be a long year. They both have a long way to go. They may be capable players before they leave but it won't be this season.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:If we are counting on those two for next year it's going to be a long year. They both have a long way to go. They may be capable players before they leave but it won't be this season.
That's my take too, from seeing them. But the coaches are so high on them, I'm hoping they see something or know something I don't. Seriously, the coaches will regale you with stories about how they run faster and longer than anyone, how they have to teach them that sometimes you need to "dial it back" and run plays at half-speed to learn them because they only know how to go 100% full speed all the time, and how they have to virtually lock them out of the weight room because they are so motivated to improve. I mean, I hope that's all true (and I don't know why the coaches would lie about it to me), but they sure appear to be "a ways away" as you say.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Pete obviously I hope the coaches are right and we're wrong but I'll have to see it to believe it. Plus Wilkins left and he was the coach who worked with the big men. It seems like his replacement was made for recruiting purposes not coaching.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I think we all in effect agree that for Tulane to improve significantly it needs dramatically better play underneath. But when? I'm wishing and hoping it's this year but perhaps we will have to wait for reasons noted above. To paraphrase T Boone Pickens after he gave the couple of hundred million to Cowboy U, "I'm doing it because they need to win now. I don't have much time left."
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:If we are counting on those two for next year it's going to be a long year. They both have a long way to go. They may be capable players before they leave but it won't be this season.
That's my take too, from seeing them. But the coaches are so high on them, I'm hoping they see something or know something I don't. Seriously, the coaches will regale you with stories about how they run faster and longer than anyone, how they have to teach them that sometimes you need to "dial it back" and run plays at half-speed to learn them because they only know how to go 100% full speed all the time, and how they have to virtually lock them out of the weight room because they are so motivated to improve. I mean, I hope that's all true (and I don't know why the coaches would lie about it to me), but they sure appear to be "a ways away" as you say.
Would be more encouraging to hear something like they shoot better than anyone or get every rebound or something.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Jordy Tshimanga is leaving Nebraska after two years. A 3 star Center out of Montreal that we offered out of high school. He would have to sit out a year but obviously would fill a major need for us in the future.

Player to be named later in the Tanner Lee trade?

Reading Florida and Gonzaga as possibilities which shocks me. I figured he would go somewhere we he would be guaranteed playing time.

Brandan Rachal leaving LSU. Louisiana kid, 4 star recruit out of high school that we offered at the time. Got to figure we at least make a call on this one. Will sit out the year.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Think Greg Anthony would do one of his old coaches a solid and get us a visit with a certain top prospect?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone