LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Unread post by tjtlja »

Lots of rumors swirling around that LSU is going to drop us in baseball because Dannen refused to let Cox televise the last game we played them in Turchin. This seems to have really pissed off Alleva. Stay tuned.
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Unread post by Roller »

That's a petty excuse. Actually, they need to avoid the losses.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

I went to the source of the original post (on another board) and he said there is some truth to the rumor.

I guess we should have let them win an extra game or two the past 3 Years.

It sucks for us but it may show that we no longer cater to them like our previous AD
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

frick'em

Those illiterate donkey butt want to play hardball I don't want us to lay down and take it
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

And before Stockholm syndrome sets in ask yourself why TD said no and why the illiterate is pissed
#cousins don't count
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Unread post by fearthewave »

1. Shared an update on Twitter. This isn't a done deal but there's some fire.

2. There's more than baseball at the negotiating table, right now. Both sides are making a move.
waverider
Cornerstone

Per Ed Daniels we will not play in 2019 and will play in the saint Wally classic from 2020 and beyond.
@LSUbaseball and @GreenWaveBSB will not play in 2019 - in 2020 and beyond they are expected to play in Wally Pontiff Classic - according to Tulane AD Troy Dannen #wgnosports
I hope there’s something in it for us or this is going to look like a Rick D deal.
Last edited by waverider on Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Greenbackers

visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

The one game that actually drew a nice crowd. We screwed up
windywave
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:The one game that actually drew a nice crowd. We screwed up
And Stockholm syndrome has set in....

Thank you sir may I have another?
#cousins don't count
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

windywave wrote:

Not Stockholm, just typical Visual.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
visualmagic
President's Circle

Sweet 70’s pop culture reference, Grandpa

Losing the home game against LSU is bad for Tulane but you can pretend it’s not. I don’t really care.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

visualmagic wrote:Losing the home game against LSU is bad for Tulane but you can pretend it’s not. I don’t really care.
I can agree that losing this game is bad for Tulane without agreeing that "we screwed up." I have enough experience with them not to be surprised when they try to hurt Tulane.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

I could care less if we play them in anything. We have survived not playing them in football and basketball, and we will survive not playing them in baseball. But I don’t understand not agreeing to put the game on TV. The game was almost a sellout in late February. The gate was not going to be drastically affected by TV coverage. And the players love to play on TV. I see no downside in putting the game on Cox.

The ramifications of not playing the game on TV is we lose a home game over the next 10 years or so that drew 4,000 fans plus on an annual basis and lately was by far our biggest draw of the year. Only opening night and one or two other games draw over 2,500. Tulane loses there only significant gate over a prolonged period of time and Tulane fans lose the opportunity to see a great game in a great atmosphere. Tulane whines about the lack of money the school has to fund athletics and we go ahead and blow one of our biggest pay nights because we think Cox televising the game will somehow be a detriment. Where will this lost revenue come from? We need money to be competitive in the AAC. This was not the wisest position to take in my opinion. The benefits enjoyed by the players and the fans, plus the long term monetary impact, outweigh the decision made by the administration. I don’t want to play second fiddle to anyone, especially lspuke, but this decision was not in the best interest of the program at this time.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

This is just an explanation of TD's reasoning- he said we weren't getting the same payout LSU got at their place for having the game televised. I think he was wrong in his thinking. We aren't LSU and didn't have the leverage.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

From a competitive standpoint Tulane is better off not playing LSU in anything. Thus no "saving" the season or "drawing" best crowd of season to make up other shortfalls. Tulane can win championships and have top 10 ranked teams or not and never play LSU. Tigers have no control over Tulane's fate and vice versa. No one can hide behind "Well at least, we beat LSU."

Not playing your traditional or even local rival is nothing unusual. Just look at A&M and UT today or Bama and Auburn who didn't play football for like 40 years. LSU very rarely plays Southern in anything.

All it hurts are the fans. Too bad.
windywave
Emerald Circle

CT Wave wrote:
windywave wrote:

Not Stockholm, just typical Visual.
So frick predictable, amIright?
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:I could care less if we play them in anything. We have survived not playing them in football and basketball, and we will survive not playing them in baseball. But I don’t understand not agreeing to put the game on TV. The game was almost a sellout in late February. The gate was not going to be drastically affected by TV coverage. And the players love to play on TV. I see no downside in putting the game on Cox.

The ramifications of not playing the game on TV is we lose a home game over the next 10 years or so that drew 4,000 fans plus on an annual basis and lately was by far our biggest draw of the year. Only opening night and one or two other games draw over 2,500. Tulane loses there only significant gate over a prolonged period of time and Tulane fans lose the opportunity to see a great game in a great atmosphere. Tulane whines about the lack of money the school has to fund athletics and we go ahead and blow one of our biggest pay nights because we think Cox televising the game will somehow be a detriment. Where will this lost revenue come from? We need money to be competitive in the AAC. This was not the wisest position to take in my opinion. The benefits enjoyed by the players and the fans, plus the long term monetary impact, outweigh the decision made by the administration. I don’t want to play second fiddle to anyone, especially lspuke, but this decision was not in the best interest of the program at this time.
[Redacted]
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:From a competitive standpoint Tulane is better off not playing LSU in anything. Thus no "saving" the season or "drawing" best crowd of season to make up other shortfalls. Tulane can win championships and have top 10 ranked teams or not and never play LSU. Tigers have no control over Tulane's fate and vice versa. No one can hide behind "Well at least, we beat LSU."

Not playing your traditional or even local rival is nothing unusual. Just look at A&M and UT today or Bama and Auburn who didn't play football for like 40 years. LSU very rarely plays Southern in anything.

frick yeah bubba
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:This is just an explanation of TD's reasoning- he said we weren't getting the same payout LSU got at their place for having the game televised. I think he was wrong in his thinking. We aren't LSU and didn't have the leverage.
[Redacted]
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

CT Wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:Losing the home game against LSU is bad for Tulane but you can pretend it’s not. I don’t really care.
I can agree that losing this game is bad for Tulane without agreeing that "we screwed up." I have enough experience with them not to be surprised when they try to hurt Tulane.
[Neutral response]
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:Sweet 70’s pop culture reference, Grandpa

Losing the home game against LSU is bad for Tulane but you can pretend it’s not. I don’t really care.
[Redacted]
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:From a competitive standpoint Tulane is better off not playing LSU in anything. Thus no "saving" the season or "drawing" best crowd of season to make up other shortfalls. Tulane can win championships and have top 10 ranked teams or not and never play LSU. Tigers have no control over Tulane's fate and vice versa. No one can hide behind "Well at least, we beat LSU."

Nobody with an opinion that matters for anything has ever believed a bad season was saved by beating LSU. We're not better off not playing them. That's stupid. Drawing a good crowd doesn't make the season any better but it does make Tulane a nice payday, a payday that we will not be abled to make up for.
LSU and Southern are not rivals. Never have been, not a valid comparison.

It hurts the fans. It hurts the players who miss out on a great atmosphere and a chance to participate in what has been a very fun rivalry. It hurts Tulane's wallet.
waverider
Cornerstone

visualmagic wrote:

Nobody with an opinion that matters for anything has ever believed a bad season was saved by beating LSU. We're not better off not playing them. That's stupid. Drawing a good crowd doesn't make the season any better but it does make Tulane a nice payday, a payday that we will not be abled to make up for.
LSU and Southern are not rivals. Never have been, not a valid comparison.

It hurts the fans. It hurts the players who miss out on a great atmosphere and a chance to participate in what has been a very fun rivalry. It hurts Tulane's wallet.
I’m wondering if it will affect season ticket sales at all. Not the regulars, but the 9nes that own those empty seats that are only full for this game.

One bright spot is getting to beat them in their “special” game every year.
Tulane Greenbackers

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:Sweet 70’s pop culture reference, Grandpa

[Redacted]
If you have something to say, say it. If not, then shut up.
Visual, just let it go. He has nothing to say. Never really takes a position on anything, but is great at insulting others. His usual one sentence of wisdom have a lot of us scrambling for the dictionary. I guess he gets off on this. It would be nice of him to express an opinion and back it up with substance. A perfect example is today’s news. He could say he supports the decision and the reasons why, coupled with addressing how this positively affects the players, fans, and financial needs of the athletic department. Would respect him a helluva lot more. And it would be nice to see him come down a level with the vocabulary. Probably asking too much and would be beneath him to do so. He is a lot smarter than me, but he is a SOB when it comes to behaving towards others.
visualmagic
President's Circle

I think you’ve taken the position that TD did the right thing. You have not explained why you believe that.