Best seats in Yulman?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Roller
Cornerstone

Best seats in Yulman?

Unread post by Roller »

Finally, I will be able to make it to a game in Yulman!
We'll be in town for Thanksgiving, and we will be going to the Navy game.

My question is: what are the pros and cons of East side/West side? Where are the visitors usually seated?

I'm hoping to buy my tix this weekend or early next week. I'll probably have more questions down the road (tailgating, parking, etc.).
Wavefan
Coach Level

Re: Best seats in Yulman?

Unread post by Wavefan »

Visitors used to be almost entirely on the Audubon side in or near the endzone closest to Claiborne but have creeped into what was supposed to be midfield season ticket seats for which season ticket holders pay a significant premium. Which is why I moved my tickets for this year to the upper deck on the home side. Frankly on a one game shot when the opponent is navy the Audubon side near midfield is probably a good choice if you can get single game tickets. It is some of the other visitors who shall remain nameless that prompted me to move to an area where the chances of sitting in the middle of visiting fans are lower.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Thanks.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

50 yard line 10 70 rows back... not frick rocket science
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

If it’s a 2:30 game you’ll get shade on the West side, if you want sun in your face, Westfeldt. If you don’t care about the game but have tickets to be cool, you stay in the Glazer suite :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

At least by Thanksgiving, you won't be worried about burning up in the heat. Scoring Glazer tickets might be good in case it's freezing and/or raining...
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

I do not like the press box side. You're crammed in like sardines with your knees at your chin, and usually obnoxious fans (Tulane and opponents). The concession stand on that side is terrible, lines are long they run out of everything. You get stuck when they block access in and out for the teams coming through.

We moved up to Westfeldt three years ago and love it. For Thanksgiving you won't have the sun to worry about. First, it's chairback seats. There's a nice bar, several concessions stands, and also Superior Grill margaritas. The view to the field is what the lower bowl should actually be. The only drawback on Westfeldt is waiting on the elevator before the game. Or just hoof it up four flights of stairs.
double d
Coach Level

Unread post by double d »

As small as the stadium is the higher up you can sit the better. Only went once and was shocked at how blah and little it was.
waverider
Cornerstone

double d wrote:As small as the stadium is the higher up you can sit the better. Only went once and was shocked at how blah and little it was.
Its rare to hear that opinion. Mostly hear/read people saying that they think it’s a pretty nice stadium when they see it for the first time.

I prefer the west side, but as Dr H noted, even in the donation required sections are usually occupied by a large number of opponents’ fans, and depending on what school it is, can be pretty obnoxious.
Last edited by waverider on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Greenbackers

GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Agree wr, it’s a very attractive venue, just needs to be 35-40,000 seats
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

waverider wrote:
double d wrote:As small as the stadium is the higher up you can sit the better. Only went once and was shocked at how blah and little it was.
Its rare to hear that opinion. Mostly hear/read people saying that they think it’s a pretty nice stadium when they see it for the first time.
I suspect stadiums look bigger on tv than they are. The first time I was in Lakefront Arena I couldn’t believe it seated 10,000. Just looked way smaller than on tv.
Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

OGSB wrote:
waverider wrote:
I suspect stadiums look bigger on tv than they are. The first time I was in Lakefront Arena I couldn’t believe it seated 10,000. Just looked way smaller than on tv.
I’d like to know the impression of those that have only seen it on TV. The opinions I’ve heard were from people that have gone to the stadium.
Tulane Greenbackers

Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

PeteRasche wrote:At least by Thanksgiving, you won't be worried about burning up in the heat. Scoring Glazer tickets might be good in case it's freezing and/or raining...
If it was freeziing & raining, wouldn't it be snowing? :roll: Or is "freezing" a relative, like when an Orleanian says "freezing" when it's really only 50°F outside.

Fan Since '54
Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
sprout1550
Coach Level

Unread post by sprout1550 »

I was on the press box side for three years just to be close to the field, but moved to Westfeldt the for the first time last year and it is the best place to watch the game (and I've watched several from Glazer too, just way more socializing than game watching). Even though it is on the second level, it is still close to the field, with great views (it is not the loge level of the Dome that is 50 yards from the edge of the field), plus as Dr H says, there are chairback seats, not bleacher seats like the press box side...and yes, that leads to close quarters and feeling like a sardine at times....and the year before last, we were way outnumbered by UL fans on that side. We were in a sea of red. Depending on the opponent, the press box side can be full of unfriendlies....

The Westfeldt concession stands offer way better food (shrimp and grits for example) and I didn't encounter a line all last season. Of course, you can still get the usual concession stuff, but they have variety.

I am in section 204 and have a great view. The best part, however, is you can stand if you want at the top and watch the game. It is covered and there is a counter along the top rail you can stand at and have a drink, eat and converse without anybody behind you yelling at you to sit down. There's even a cafe/beer garden area with high top tables and chairs you can sit at and still see the game.

The sun was not too bad last year and I spent most of my time standing at the rail anyway. I enjoyed my seats on the press box side, but didn't know what I was missing until last year.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

I agree with the folks above saying upper deck is the way to go. My son likes to wander around, so we usually change seats every quarter, and I've sat everywhere except the fancypants Glazer seats for at least a quarter. There aren't any awful seats IMHO, but upper deck is probably the best place to actually watch the game IMHO.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

Since the beginning (of the new stadium), I have been in sec 120, and my seats themselves have been on about the North 25 yard line. In '16, that section and section 121 & 122 were over run by ULL fans and last year by Grambling fans, who were probably paying less than I was to sit closer to midfield. Well, I requested a move closer to midfield and received an upgrade to section 121 which as best as I can tell so far without having gone to any games, will put me at about the North 45 yardline in the same row (S) as I was in when I was in 120. And with no extra monitary requirement. Row "S" is the last row right before the pressbox. I think I'm gonna like those seats more than my former ones because I'm closer to midfield. But I also get the benefit of having an afternoon game where the sun creaps behind the pressbox later in the game and is, in any case, never "in your face". Which I why I prefer to West side to the East side.

Fan Since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"