Seat License

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Seat License

Post by tjtlja »

Looks like this may be heading our way. Administration is discussing it. Thoughts?
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Re: Seat License

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Another name for my Green Wave Club donation?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Wonder if it will be tied into the donation.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Be careful admin. Be very careful. My analogy here would be to not shake a tree that doesn't have much fruit on it. :roll:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Another name for my Green Wave Club donation?
No. This is going to be a donation per seat per sport. In other words, if you donate $100 and sit in a $100 level for football and baseball, now you’ll have to pay $200, $100 for each sport, plus the donation per seat. In MBB for example, if you donate $500, you can get up to 4 seats, now the donation is per seat but I don’t know if the donation is reduced. I know a few fans complained about this in the past so if it’s a reduced donation ($125 per seat), then this benefits those fans.

I think the individual seat license won’t be in effect until next year, but I may have that part wrong.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Doesn't that feel like its going in the opposite direction of this years changes (some reduced donation levels for football) and the 'get butts in seats' plan?

If the cost of my football season tickets drastically increase, why wouldn't I switch to buying on a per game basis? As it is I don't get to use all of them.
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

Matt, you're right. Sounds inconsistent with this year's approach which included lowering season ticket prices.

I think TU needs to win first, generate excitement with the fan base and build interest before they do anything like this. It could be very counterproductive.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

No way Dannen is this dumb, right?
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Seat licenses are used at many places that hold more than one type of event. I believe that when you own the licence to the seat you have first right to any event at the stadium. Bowl, concert, superbowl, whatever. I wonder if this means that there are discussion of other events being held at Yulman. Also in some cases it allows you to not buy tickets for one season without losing the right to the seat.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

We will need more details before we can truly weigh in. Its is certainly not as simple as "they are just adding another fee."
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Under the new tax law, donations made to secure college sports season tickets are not deductible. I'm wondering if schools are using the seat license thing as a work around to guarantee long time donors/season ticket holders a guarantee that they will still get their tickets and that the school will still receive the same money they were getting in the past. I realize it's different for Tulane as there aren't waiting lists for season tickets but they will likely spin it they are just keeping pace with what everybody else is doing.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:No way Dannen is this dumb, right?
If it lowers the overall donation like my example above, it may be a smart thing. However, seeing that Dannen wants to have a competitive athletic department, I have to think this is all about the money.

It’s a bit of a chicken vs egg debate. It takes money to build a successful department, but, get us competitive in the major sports first then fans will be willing to pay a little more to keep their seats.
Tulane Greenbackers

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

This doesn't sound like a PSL at least as I understand them here for the Bears. Basically you paid upfront for the PSL when they redid the stadium and then own it and when you give up your tickets you sell it in the aftermarket so people can buy your seats. Like an equity membership in a country club. That is my foggy understanding from years ago.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

visualmagic wrote:No way Dannen is this dumb, right?
Visual optimistic as usual. He knows Dannen is a poor AD and simply cannot help himself to remind us all.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

Poseidon wrote:We will need more details before we can truly weigh in. Its is certainly not as simple as "they are just adding another fee."
Thanks for the sanity!
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

I talked to someone at the Green Wave Club about this (they are happy to talk to anyone about this - feel free to give them a call). Here's what's going on:

Currently, using Section 121 (50 yard line) as an example, if you donate $500, you can buy up to 4 seats. If you only want 1 seat, you still have to donate $500. So it is really prohibitive to most people who aren't interested in 4 seats. We are now going to an "ala carte" model - if you want 1 seat, you make the donation for 1 seat. If you want 2 seats, you only make the donation for 2 seats, etc.

This is not a seat license, or PSL. This is an annual per seat donation. The difference is a PSL you own the seat (and therefore would be much more expensive). It is literally no different than what we are doing now. We are just going from a "zone/up to multiple seats" model to a per seat model. This seems much more fan friendly.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

windywave wrote:This doesn't sound like a PSL at least as I understand them here for the Bears. Basically you paid upfront for the PSL when they redid the stadium and then own it and when you give up your tickets you sell it in the aftermarket so people can buy your seats. Like an equity membership in a country club. That is my foggy understanding from years ago.
That was the same deal we had when the Rams came to St. Louis. The PSL was around $40,000 and the funds were used to build the stadium.
Bob Knight
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

Agree with Donny that this does sound Fan Friendly. Perhaps the hand-wringing was premature??
Bob Knight
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Donny Z wrote:I talked to someone at the Green Wave Club about this (they are happy to talk to anyone about this - feel free to give them a call).
But then how would we then utilize the endless hours we now spend on completely uninformed speculation?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

with food/restaurant discussions? :-D

seriously, talk about Much Ado About Nothing.............
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Sky blue Pants???
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

When I signed up again for the GWC this year I was offered the option to improve my seats. I told my rep about the seats in my section 120 and the section closer to the 50 (121) had more ULL ('16) and Grambling ('17) fans than TU fans. I asked if I could upgrade and suggested sec 121 and he said that there were some available with no increase in donation. So I and my 2 seats remained in row "S" but moved from about the North 25 to the North 45. So far I'm on board. But what about next year & beyond. I know no one can predict the future, but I also know that what came first the chicken (money before improvement) or the egg (money after improvement) has not been determined yet. And I know the ultimate sign of improvement (increasing stadium capacity) only comes after there is a consistent winning pattern.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Donny Z wrote:I talked to someone at the Green Wave Club about this (they are happy to talk to anyone about this - feel free to give them a call). Here's what's going on:

Currently, using Section 121 (50 yard line) as an example, if you donate $500, you can buy up to 4 seats. If you only want 1 seat, you still have to donate $500. So it is really prohibitive to most people who aren't interested in 4 seats. We are now going to an "ala carte" model - if you want 1 seat, you make the donation for 1 seat. If you want 2 seats, you only make the donation for 2 seats, etc.

This is not a seat license, or PSL. This is an annual per seat donation. The difference is a PSL you own the seat (and therefore would be much more expensive). It is literally no different than what we are doing now. We are just going from a "zone/up to multiple seats" model to a per seat model. This seems much more fan friendly.
This was how I was trying to explain it except that I thought there would be a required section donation as well as a seat donation, but figured it was to help ticket sales. As I mentioned, I know a few fans, myself included, that moved or cancelled MBB tickets because we paid the same donation for 1 seat that others with 4 seats were paying.

I know a few expressed this displeasure with Tulane and it looks like, yet again, they listened to the fans and responded with an initiative that benefits both parties. They still get a donation and the fans get to keep their seats with a more reasonable donation requirement.
Tulane Greenbackers

Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Fan Since '54 wrote:When I signed up again for the GWC this year I was offered the option to improve my seats. I told my rep about the seats in my section 120 and the section closer to the 50 (121) had more ULL ('16) and Grambling ('17) fans than TU fans. I asked if I could upgrade and suggested sec 121 and he said that there were some available with no increase in donation. So I and my 2 seats remained in row "S" but moved from about the North 25 to the North 45. So far I'm on board. But what about next year & beyond. I know no one can predict the future, but I also know that what came first the chicken (money before improvement) or the egg (money after improvement) has not been determined yet. And I know the ultimate sign of improvement (increasing stadium capacity) only comes after there is a consistent winning pattern.

Fan since '54
My theory is that walk up fans from other schools or ones who call the ticket office or go online and simply say "I want tickets as close to the 'visiting section' as possible." Add to that most people want sideline seats and there you have it. Those sections are naturally going to to visiting teams fans.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I talked to someone in the athletic department today and they said they are still figuring it out. It definitely won’t start till next year. Remember that after this season the Glazer Club commitments come off the books. So they will be looking to raise funds. This will be interesting when they finalize it and let us know how it will affect us.
We deserve so much better