LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Unread post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:My good friend Dennis Fremin past last week (as I posted) and it has been difficult. He was such a great friend and Green Wave fan. I know his feelings exactly today after reading Maneiri’s horse crap - screw LSU. I couldn’t agree more. We have certainly done so much harm to ourselves over the past 50 years in athletics, but I have always viewed baseball differently. If we could have landed some regionals in the years of going to the Box every year when the field was 48 teams, who knows, we may have had a couple of championship billboards. Those were some pretty damn good teams Coach Jones took up the river, but they were a dynasty at home and in Omaha. We were one of the teams that could really compete with them. After reading Pauley’s explanation, it is such a slap in the face. You play us home and home every year because we are Tulane baseball. This has nothing to do with the other teams in the state. I don’t like the price gouging, no TV, online streaming, and the product we have on the field right now, but I’ll be damn if I play them ever again. It is time for us to go in a different direction. There are numerous SEC teams that will do a home and home weekend series with us because we are Tulane. Forget the west coast, and schedule regionally. And make Tulane baseball what it was the past 30 years, a force to be reckon with! Dennis, this one is for you my friend.
Good post. It should be noted though that Brockhoff led us to several Regionals when the field was 48. Jones did it his first year when it was 48 and then the field was expanded to 64. I know that's a good while ago so I understand the confusion.
We deserve so much better
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

For all of you out of towners, be thankful you don’t have to watch the local news reporters fall over themselves, taking Manieri’s word as gold (and purple). Watch Drew, from WWL-TV quote a whole bunch of facts, including RPI, Tv issue, but doesn’t mention that Manieri hates losing to TUlane, and we had won 5 of 6. DIdn’t even attempt to get a quote from ANYONE at TUlane, just took LSU at their word.

My response:

https://twitter.com/scroogedaddy/status ... 58017?s=21
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

visualmagic wrote:They don’t gain much from playing this series, so it’s not crazy to think that they’d end it over a small inconvenience for their fans.
Yeah, and now their their NOLA fans have the small inconvenience of not being able to see them in person annually. So if you live in NOLA and are a Tiger BB fan, you used to be able to see them for $35 against an 80-year rival. Now you watch them play McNeese on TV.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Ps, I think all the other Louisiana schools should see this and refuse to play them as well. I know if I was ull or southeastern I'd be looking elsewhere.
Yes. I agree totally. They want to play hardball, then where would they be if all LA teams play hardball too? None of the LA teams need those a$$holes. They wouldn't admit it but they basically NEED the LA schools to play by their rules. And where would they be if all of the LA schools don't conform to their rules. They would have a helluva time scheduling mid-week games ANYWHERE, much less in Baton Rouge. And they would be cutting off their noses to spite their face. They have fans all over LA and they would be depriving those fans the opportunity to see their team because of their uppity outlook. Be careful of what you wish for LScrew. The "Davids" of the world don't need "Goliath" anymore....never did really.

The UL-Ls, S'easterns, McNeeses, LaTechs, UL-Ms, UNO's N'Westerns and of course Tulane (who keeps beating them on a regular basis anywhere) have more muscles banded together to make Big Brother hurt in the wallet when they can't force other teams to play by their rules.

Fan since '54
Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Roller wrote:
noladave wrote:Love the idea, but most SEC all schools want to maximize their home schedule, so most will want to play midweek games at home, whenever possible.

I’m sure Jewett has some connections out there, and has come up with some ideas. Hopefully not default teams like McNeese or Nicholls St. Not sure where we stand with UNO - are we definitely back to 3 games a season with them? Possibly add games with either Southeastern, or USM. We have limited choices, due to travel restrictions. Pre-conference, you can catch the northern teams coming down here, but once conference starts up, you are pretty much limited to local teams (5 hours or less travel time). You can get the occasional spring break team coming this way, but again, that’s usually early in the season.
FIFY

SEC teams just bully others so that they can get more than their fair share.
Only if you let them bully you.

FS'54
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:They don’t gain much from playing this series, so it’s not crazy to think that they’d end it over a small inconvenience for their fans.
What no one has mentioned here is that the game not being on Cox also inconvenienced our fans, as well as any upcharge for the game did the same.

Fan since '54
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Seriously, everyone who hasn't yet, needs to go listen to FTW's podcast before carrying this conversation further. He clarifies many points that are entertained on this thread.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

Poseidon wrote:Seriously, everyone who hasn't yet, needs to go listen to FTW's podcast before carrying this conversation further. He clarifies many points that are entertained on this thread.
In 30 minutes, I learned more about what's going on (more than just baseball), than I probably did during RD's entire tenure.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Poseidon wrote:Seriously, everyone who hasn't yet, needs to go listen to FTW's podcast before carrying this conversation further. He clarifies many points that are entertained on this thread.
Summary for those who can't listen?
Victory is never permanent
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

TU77CAL82 wrote:
In 30 minutes, I learned more about what's going on (more than just baseball), than I probably did during RD's entire tenure.
Off the top of my head:
* Almost lost the Home and Home last year, but TJ relationship with PM saved it for another year
* Escalated quickly. Board members and legislators involved in discussions that ultimately failed
* Tulane will not cede control of our media rights at home*
* Can't say it in official capacity, but 5 out of 6 probably had something to do with it
* TD surprised at pushback from Wave fans about playing lsu on Airline Drive
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

noladave wrote:For all of you out of towners, be thankful you don’t have to watch the local news reporters fall over themselves, taking Manieri’s word as gold (and purple). Watch Drew, from WWL-TV quote a whole bunch of facts, including RPI, Tv issue, but doesn’t mention that Manieri hates losing to TUlane, and we had won 5 of 6. DIdn’t even attempt to get a quote from ANYONE at TUlane, just took LSU at their word.

My response:

https://twitter.com/scroogedaddy/status ... 58017?s=21
Dave, excellent rebuttal. Let’s bombard those guys for one day. I don’t have twitter and don’t know who in the hell Drew is, but I will find some way to send them a little something.

Have we heard anything from Ed Daniels after yesterday. What about Trahan? Doesn’t anyone in the local media other than “Tulane” guys see the negative impact this has on the entire state. Lspuke did win all those titles while playing home and aways with just about everyone in the state.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Agreed. It was amazing
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

TU77CAL82 wrote: * Tulane will not cede control of our media rights at home*
So theyre mad that Tulane didn't give them special treatment, that we treated them like anyone else?
Victory is never permanent
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:
So theyre mad that Tulane didn't give them special treatment, that we treated them like anyone else?
Treated them like we would treat anyone else AND treated them like anyone else would treat anyone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Looking ahead, we should be making calls to Ole Miss, Mississippi St., Alabama, and Auburn. All of those are within 5 to 5.5 hours drive and would be attractive opponents. You probably won't convince any of them to do a mid-week home and home every year, but every third year getting to bring fans to New Orleans for a road game while also getting a strong opponent to play you at home? Doesn't sound like a bad option to me. Meanwhile, talk about cheesing off LSU, having competing SEC schools coming into their territory potentially playing in front of "their" recruits.

It's also worth reaching out to Rice and Southern Miss. While not a true replacement for LSU, we have history with both and both have had strong programs historically. If we end up going for one of these, perhaps we can do a rotating weekend series with the above (or even some Texas schools as well). Hypothetically we could have Ole Miss coming to Turchin one weekend and play away at Auburn one weekend the first year and then flip that the following year. I'm confident with some creative scheduling we can replace LSU (though replacing the rivalry and 80+ year history will be impossible).
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

OGSB wrote:
It's more than that. Dannen noted in his FTW interview that there is not one contract between schools (presumably in any NCAA sport) that allows visiting team to control the media rights. I doubt there is even a pro league contract that provides for that.

Finally as others have noted, every team at every level (evern high schools now) now uses dynamic pricing to sell tickets for its home games. Yes this includes LSU across the board including baseball.

Finally he speculates that streaming will be a big part of next AAC TV contract. Tulane has a national fan base and can connect with them more efficiently using it for some games (obviously not all or perhaps even a majority.)

I will miss LSU. If it's just the occasional Pontiff game and NCAA playoffs going forward so be it.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Baywave1 wrote: Finally he speculates that streaming will be a big part of next AAC TV contract. Tulane has a national fan base and can connect with them more efficiently using it for some games (obviously not all or perhaps even a majority.)
I tried to touch on this in the other thread also. We have a very non-local fanbase. Can non-locals watch the game if it's on Cox? Anyone anywhere could have streamed the game.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Yes is helps with money, but not as much as you think. The price and amount isn't like selling football tickets its less than a 6 figure difference.
- The recruiting point is overstated. Again they will still be playing LSU
How much is the difference?
The LSU ticket prices are $35. Tickets on normal midweek games are $5-$10. Most midweek games might get 2K announced attendance , where the LSU game gets 4500-5000.

Again, it’s unclear if they will still be playing LSU outside of the 2020 Wally Pontiff Classic. From what I’ve read that’s not necessarily going to be a yearly thing.
By not giving in
Agreeing to play against LSU at Zephyr field when they are refusing to play at our park is the exact opposite of standing up to Alleva. He has also stated openly about wanting to play LSU, but not as a payday game.
Not giving in to what?
I’m not sure I follow the rest of what you’re it looks like you were maybe trying to quote me and pasted it in the wrong spot, so I’m having trouble finding what you mean.
The math ain't working in your favor... at worst it's 200K and probably lower aka rounding error
The math is in his favor. Someone in this thread said we were talking less than 6 figures. Turns out we are talking 6 figures. It's insane to suggest our baseball program couldn't use that $200,000.

FWIW Dannen mentions in FTW podcast that LSU nets $80,000 from a midweek game. (They have what 8000+ season ticket holders?)

I can't see a sellout in a 4500 seat stadium even at higher ticket prices being much different. However for argument's sake, let's say Tulane nets $100,000 from LSU game. (Sorry for economics lesson but there is a big difference between gross and net.) Noticeable amount but if Dannen could get one donor to fully endow the sailing program, I'm sure he can find a donor to write a check to cover that lost net of LSU home baseball game. Losing LSU is not about the money, it's about the fan experience. I will miss them.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

noladave wrote:Watch Drew, from WWL-TV quote a whole bunch of facts, including RPI
Quick glance at last year's RPI would suggest that unless they can pull teams from Houston for midweek games, that don't require a return midweek game, they aren't replacing 2 Tulane games with 2 better RPI games.

Unless ULL or SLU decide to go to BR multiple times a year for one home game every few years. And historically, that wouldn't work out for improving their RPI either.

Of course, they don't really need to care about RPI. As long as they finish in the top 10 in their conference, they'll end up in a regional.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
What no one has mentioned here is that the game not being on Cox also inconvenienced our fans, as well as any upcharge for the game did the same.

Fan since '54
No more than any other game
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

gerryb323 wrote:
Baywave1 wrote: Finally he speculates that streaming will be a big part of next AAC TV contract. Tulane has a national fan base and can connect with them more efficiently using it for some games (obviously not all or perhaps even a majority.)
I tried to touch on this in the other thread also. We have a very non-local fanbase. Can non-locals watch the game if it's on Cox? Anyone anywhere could have streamed the game.
As of now, Cox is not available on my DirecTV package and I do feel like I have been shut out in the past. A few basketball games a year seem to shut me out and a few baseball games. I believe all the conference basketball games are available on WatchESPN. I think Southern and SELA had some All Access package that was not compatible with ours. I remember listening to a basketball game at Southern because it wasn't available on either tv or a stream. I know at one point I paid a little extra to insure I could get streaming access to road games even though it would be from our opponents feed. I can't remember if just comes with it now or if I am still doing it.

To answer your question. televised games on Cox seem to be the most likely games not to be available other than if they somehow run through the SEC network.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

NJwave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
As of now, Cox is not available on my DirecTV package and I do feel like I have been shut out in the past. A few basketball games a year seem to shut me out and a few baseball games. I believe all the conference basketball games are available on WatchESPN. I think Southern and SELA had some All Access package that was not compatible with ours. I remember listening to a basketball game at Southern because it wasn't available on either tv or a stream. I know at one point I paid a little extra to insure I could get streaming access to road games even though it would be from our opponents feed. I can't remember if just comes with it now or if I am still doing it.

To answer your question. televised games on Cox seem to be the most likely games not to be available other than if they somehow run through the SEC network.
I'm subscribing through PS Vue, and games that are available on WatchESPN but otherwise broadcast by Cox are blacked out in New Orleans. So the Cox deal wouldn't have helped me either.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

As noted already, LoSer-U has shown their cowardly, scumbag colors yet again. A note about the other state schools, though--don't assume they actually have the choice to say no. They are all funded through the state, and LoSer-U controls much of the funding stream for state schools, either directly or indirectly. They've already demonstrated a willingness to use any means to achieve their petty goals, and I would be not at all surprised that those schools would fear for their funding if they said no.

Luckily, LoSer-U can't hurt us. They control nothing of our funding. Cut them off entirely; I don't want to see their coaches at any camps on our campus, I don't want to play them in any sport under these circumstances.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Unread post by Saintgreenie »

TU77CAL82 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Off the top of my head:
* Almost lost the Home and Home last year, but TJ relationship with PM saved it for another year
* Escalated quickly. Board members and legislators involved in discussions that ultimately failed
* Can't say it in official capacity, but 5 out of 6 probably had something to do with it
I was blown away by how open TD was in the interview.

The one thing that stood out to me the most was his interest in starting an esports team.

Now, I don't get the draw of esports, but there is no denying its growing popularity, especially among the younger crowds (I'm 30 and still too old to really get it). It says a lot of TD about how forward thinking TD and staff are compared to the previous administration.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Saintgreenie wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Off the top of my head:
I was blown away by how open TD was in the interview.

The one thing that stood out to me the most was his interest in starting an esports team.

Now, I don't get the draw of esports, but there is no denying its growing popularity, especially among the younger crowds (I'm 30 and still too old to really get it). It says a lot of TD about how forward thinking TD and staff are compared to the previous administration.
Whoever thought of the idea to call "playing video games" "e-sports" was brilliant. Not really sports, but then ESPN shows darts, cards and spelling bees so...