Summer Libations

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
sr
Regent's Circle

Re: Summer Libations

Post by sr »

Sailor friend at Tulane (from Bermuda) would make a rum, ginger beer w/lime drink - called it a Hemingway. Refreshing.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

sr wrote:Sailor friend at Tulane (from Bermuda) would make a rum, ginger beer w/lime drink - called it a Hemingway. Refreshing.
Or as everyone else calls it a Dark and Stormy
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

windywave wrote:
sr wrote:Sailor friend at Tulane (from Bermuda) would make a rum, ginger beer w/lime drink - called it a Hemingway. Refreshing.
Yeah, but liked his name better.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

sr wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yeah, but liked his name better.
A Hemingway Daiquiri made properly tastes great and knocks your socks off
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:This whole post I hope is pink. Diet coke as a mixer? Mio? Egads!
I use it when I'm doing low carb and drink bourbon... gotta add lime though to kill that aspartame nastiness... that is unless I am allowed to bring my own diet sprite into the bar for them to mix into my bourbon... I've had a few let me do that. One of the guys on my hockey team this season brings his own diet coke for his rum on Thursday nights after games.. the bar switched to Pepsi a year or so ago... that stuff is vile.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
A friend of mine got through our kids' swim meets this summer with a Dark and Stormy using Captain Morgan and ginger beer (not "regular" rum). He brought it in a 30 oz. Yeti to every meet. Quite tasty.

I can't drink most diet soft drinks due to the aspartame aftertaste (as JM said) but I do the low carb thing and I've managed to tolerate Diet Coke with Captain Morgan. In a pinch only.

The moms in our community have all jumped on the "hard seltzer" thing. "White Claw" , "Truly" ... Urgh. All taste like "flavored malt beverage". No Zima for me, thanks. Though I remember the only time I ever had a Zima, it was about 4 am at A.T.II's, the stuff was new, and I was drunk enough to be curious. But not drunk enough to think it was worth ever trying again... 8)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

I guzzle diet coke, I just can't drink it with booze.
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Coke zero. Nectar of the gods
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:Coke zero. Nectar of the gods
Guzzle that too. Also like Fresca Diet A&W and Diet Dr Pepper in the sugar free categories
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I am a reformed Diet Coke junkie. Several of those 20 ouncers per day at one point. Even used to get withdrawal headaches if I hadn’t sucked my first bottle down by 10am.

Then I started reading about how anything loaded with artificial sweetener consumed in large quantities like I was was trick-effing my system. My body tasted the sweet but then said where is the calorie payoff? So then I’d eat garbage to compensate. I guess that’s why I see a lot of fatties with liter bottles of diet soda. Plus with diabetes rampant in my family (several deaths), I figured I’d quit cold turkey, which was a couple of weeks of feeling crappy.

Now I can’t stand anything with artificial sweetener. It skeeves me out.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

No one's mentioned Pimm's Cups yet. Those on the patio at Napoleon House work for me.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

MattK wrote:No one's mentioned Pimm's Cups yet. Those on the patio at Napoleon House work for me.
+500
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

MattK wrote:No one's mentioned Pimm's Cups yet. Those on the patio at Napoleon House work for me.
Guzzle those too usually with ginger ale and a cucumber
#cousins don't count
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Those are delicious. Ye Olde College Inn, of all places, has a quite decent one with fresh muddled strawberries thrown in. Quite tasty, too.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

gerryb323 wrote:Coke zero. Nectar of the gods
I have fallen into that trap as well... when I was still a soda junkie, not too long ago, I was a 4 1/2 liter per day guy... the grocery stores here would alternate one BOGOs for the 6 packs of the plastic half liter bottles... didn't like the taste of it from cans.

I have actually never mixed whiskey with Coke Zero though... so I have no idea what the taste would be.. mostly because my bourbon and DCs would be at bars and very few bars (if any) have Coke Zero (and the ones that do, it's horrible quality.. I don't think they've perfected the formula for the guns).. I do bourbon and diet Sprite at home
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Moscow Mule. Like a Dark & Stormy only with vodka (Tito's is my preference). Served in a copper cup. Drink two and all is right in the world. Use bourbon instead of vodka and you have a Kentucky Mule.
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Rotorooter wrote:Moscow Mule. Like a Dark & Stormy only with vodka (Tito's is my preference). Served in a copper cup. Drink two and all is right in the world. Use bourbon instead of vodka and you have a Kentucky Mule.
I always thought the copper thing was a shtick
#cousins don't count
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

windywave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:Moscow Mule. Like a Dark & Stormy only with vodka (Tito's is my preference). Served in a copper cup. Drink two and all is right in the world. Use bourbon instead of vodka and you have a Kentucky Mule.
I always thought the copper thing was a shtick
Mmmmmmaybe. But it keeps it cold, but not having a copper cup wouldn't stop me from having one. Sort of like not having a prophylactic at the right time... 8)
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Good European beer. Not the overly hopped/hyped crap that douchbag idiots think is good beer.

Singapore Slings
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:Singapore Slings
True Singapore Sling story. I was at a business conference with a bunch of colleagues in Singapore a few years ago and a bunch of us decided to visit the Raffles Bar, supposedly where the drink was created. It’s a cool place, that Long Bar, and we got caught up in the ambience and started tossing back Slings. One after the other. Probably had 2-3 each and there were about 10 of us.

Comes time to get the bill. Lesson 1: never ever order food or drink in an unknown establishment without first getting an idea of prices. There were none posted and no one thought to ask. Long story short, the bill for about 30 slings was about $1000 USD. We about gagged and had to scramble to scrape together cash between us because for some reason (this was about 15 year ago) they did not take credit cards from non hotel guests. Now, I ALWAYS ask before ordering in a new place.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

They charged you the "sucker American tourist" price, eh? :lol:

Our neighbors lived there for 3 years, just moved back here in January. They have lots of interesting stories. But it clearly sounds like there's a lot of American wealth there, so that bar was probably just cashing in on it.. M
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:They charged you the "sucker American tourist" price, eh? :lol:

Our neighbors lived there for 3 years, just moved back here in January. They have lots of interesting stories. But it clearly sounds like there's a lot of American wealth there, so that bar was probably just cashing in on it.. M
Probably true and as a former sailor I should have known better. I’m usually not an easy mark.

OTOH, Singapore then and now has a reputation for not cutting any slack to anyone when it comes to following the law and we did not want to chance making a scene. Heck, they used to throw people in jail for chewing gum.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:Singapore Slings
True Singapore Sling story. I was at a business conference with a bunch of colleagues in Singapore a few years ago and a bunch of us decided to visit the Raffles Bar, supposedly where the drink was created. It’s a cool place, that Long Bar, and we got caught up in the ambience and started tossing back Slings. One after the other. Probably had 2-3 each and there were about 10 of us.

Comes time to get the bill. Lesson 1: never ever order food or drink in an unknown establishment without first getting an idea of prices. There were none posted and no one thought to ask. Long story short, the bill for about 30 slings was about $1000 USD. We about gagged and had to scramble to scrape together cash between us because for some reason (this was about 15 year ago) they did not take credit cards from non hotel guests. Now, I ALWAYS ask before ordering in a new place.
Da frick?

I have the original recipe from the Raffles back in the day. Two will put you down
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:They charged you the "sucker American tourist" price, eh? :lol:

What are their thoughts on the doublemint twins?
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Good Radlers are sublime... bad radlers suck
#cousins don't count