Urban Meyer is on a hot seat of his own making

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

Urban Meyer is on a hot seat of his own making

Post by long green »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tive-leave

That story there is from ESPN, who ignored this building story all day until they couldn't.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: Urban Meyer is on a hot seat of his own making

Post by Poseidon »

long green wrote:http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tive-leave

That story there is from ESPN, who ignored this building story all day until they couldn't.
Exactly. Why did they ignore it? Because McMurphy who they just part3d with was breaking it.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Did Richard Nixon teach us nothing? It’s ALWAYS the cover up that will get you.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

FWIW, this is being discussed in the Ohio State game thread on the main page, since it potentially and/or arguably affects our upcoming year.

I can see why it could be here or there but a mod ought to choose one and not have both going on the same topic.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I actually think this should be the main Urban Meyer thread. The other thread was more about who was attending the game and the merits of tailgates.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:I actually think this should be the main Urban Meyer thread. The other thread was more about who was attending the game and the merits of tailgates.
That was the Columbus roll call thread, not the Ohio State thread. :mrgreen:

But either way.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:I actually think this should be the main Urban Meyer thread. The other thread was more about who was attending the game and the merits of tailgates.
That was the Columbus roll call thread, not the Ohio State thread. :mrgreen:

But either way.
So no need for Juju thread then?
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Not sure if this is an appropriate comparison but I’ll make it anyway. Back in the day the US Navy, and in particular Naval Aviation went through its own poop-storm of public relations nightmare with something called Tailhook. Up until the scandal year, naval aviators held an annual nationwide bacchanalia called Tailhook, renting out entire hotels and engaging in theatrics that would put Animal House to shame. It was a thing. Attended by junior aviators up through flag rank. Then reports of what went on including deep sexual misconduct filtered out, and a firestorm ensued which consumed many careers. Some said it was about time and some groused about political correctness run amok. Yet, the more the light was shone during the postmortem, the worse it got. Some old timers still grouse about PC rather than the conduct. The major problem was that standards changed and dinosaurs failed to realize it. It was always inappropriate but now they were being called on it.

I think we are starting to see the same thing right now in many professions. Before I retired from a Lockheed Martin we had a long groomed CEO in waiting get canned about 15 minutes before he was to assume the reigns due to sexual misconduct. I doubt that would have happened 20 years earlier. We are starting to see it in coaching, strained through the filter of big programs and all the interlocking interests. Politics seems to be about the only place left where some get taken out while others survive, depending on the vagaries of which party is calling the shots.

I think we are going to see more of this, not less. There are a lot of sleeping dogs out there.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:Not sure if this is an appropriate comparison but I’ll make it anyway. Back in the day the US Navy, and in particular Naval Aviation went through its own poop-storm of public relations nightmare with something called Tailhook. Up until the scandal year, naval aviators held an annual nationwide bacchanalia called Tailhook, renting out entire hotels and engaging in theatrics that would put Animal House to shame. It was a thing. Attended by junior aviators up through flag rank. Then reports of what went on including deep sexual misconduct filtered out, and a firestorm ensued which consumed many careers. Some said it was about time and some groused about political correctness run amok. Yet, the more the light was shone during the postmortem, the worse it got. Some old timers still grouse about PC rather than the conduct. The major problem was that standards changed and dinosaurs failed to realize it. It was always inappropriate but now they were being called on it.

I think we are starting to see the same thing right now in many professions. Before I retired from a Lockheed Martin we had a long groomed CEO in waiting get canned about 15 minutes before he was to assume the reigns due to sexual misconduct. I doubt that would have happened 20 years earlier. We are starting to see it in coaching, strained through the filter of big programs and all the interlocking interests. Politics seems to be about the only place left where some get taken out while others survive, depending on the vagaries of which party is calling the shots.

I think we are going to see more of this, not less. There are a lot of sleeping dogs out there.
Check what I just put in the OSU thread (sorry I put it there instead of here). Meyer *should* be gone if the media runs with the story I linked. Clauses were added to his contract this past spring when they gave him a raise (at the same time being in the heat of the #MeToo movement) which basically say the University should fire him.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

TUPF wrote:Not sure if this is an appropriate comparison but I’ll make it anyway. Back in the day the US Navy, and in particular Naval Aviation went through its own poop-storm of public relations nightmare with something called Tailhook. Up until the scandal year, naval aviators held an annual nationwide bacchanalia called Tailhook, renting out entire hotels and engaging in theatrics that would put Animal House to shame. It was a thing. Attended by junior aviators up through flag rank. Then reports of what went on including deep sexual misconduct filtered out, and a firestorm ensued which consumed many careers. Some said it was about time and some groused about political correctness run amok. Yet, the more the light was shone during the postmortem, the worse it got. Some old timers still grouse about PC rather than the conduct. The major problem was that standards changed and dinosaurs failed to realize it. It was always inappropriate but now they were being called on it.

TUPF, you are right about the sleeping dogs...one culture from years ago being judged by today's standards. Luckily, I missed the particular Tailhook where the incidents took place, but I have been to several more. The ones back in the day had a lot of drinking and sex games going on, but from what I saw and heard, there was no violence or harassment, it was all consensual. Some Navy women actively participated in some of the activities. That is not to excuse any of it, but senior officers should have put a stop to it before it got so out of hand. Unfortunately, they had been raised in the same "flyboy" culture of naval aviation and it was viewed as boys being boys.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Let's return this to Tulane angle: many here are aware of the extraordinary due diligence Fritz does for background to verify off the field character. It doesn't mean Tulane will never have problems. It just means that with extra effort these issues can be managed or in a best case absolutely minimized.

Contrast this with Meyer. OSU's actions yesterday means all the really ugly stuff in his history especially from Florida where Meyer winked at, ignored and perhaps arguably even enabled bad behavior will be resurrected.

Remember this one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/spor ... years.html

But then OSU has known all this which makes the contract clauses Pete quotes more understandable and why he is in hot water over the Smith issue where Meyer's involvement is at most peripheral.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

The fact that this is happening in the middle of the wrestler molestation scandal gives OSU very little wiggle room.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Baywave1 wrote:Let's return this to Tulane angle: many here are aware of the extraordinary due diligence Fritz does for background to verify off the field character. It doesn't mean Tulane will never have problems. It just means that with extra effort these issues can be managed or in a best case absolutely minimized.

Contrast this with Meyer. OSU's actions yesterday means all the really ugly stuff in his history especially from Florida where Meyer winked at, ignored and perhaps arguably even enabled bad behavior will be resurrected.

Remember this one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/spor ... years.html

But then OSU has known all this which makes the contract clauses Pete quotes more understandable and why he is in hot water over the Smith issue where Meyer's involvement is at most peripheral.
Not carrying Meyer’s water here but if OSU knew enough of the patterns cited in the NYT article, it’s obvious they loaded his contract with off ramp clauses should the Ghost of Misdeeds Past come calling one midnight. Either OSU was aware this day might come or they have very prescient contract writers.

And now that the Ghost of Misdeeds Past has seen daylight I think OSU just might pull the trigger. Of course they are hypocrites but no one ever said the promise of national championships does not corrupt.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

TU77CAL82 wrote:The fact that this is happening in the middle of the wrestler molestation scandal gives OSU very little wiggle room.
That too.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Is it too late to hire Luke Fickell?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Is Tressel's tenure any type of precedent ?? Different specifics, but ...
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I have no idea what Meyer is really like. If you try to give people second chances and "mentor" them the you will unavoidably be associated with that element. All it then takes is one or two of those to offend again then you're accused of being complicit. This was Bobby Bowden at FSU. You think our boy Tommy wasn't going to act the same way or didn't his short time here? One the other side of coin if you have a real zero tolerance policy you are seen as cold and are accused of being prejudiced toward the marginalized communities that many kids on the edge come from. Its a catch 22.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

“If You Think Urban Meyer's Career Is Over, You Underestimate The Power Of Winning”

https://apple.news/AIsK80RgOS26iXzo_a6DyIA
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:“If You Think Urban Meyer's Career Is Over, You Underestimate The Power Of Winning”

The power of "how things have always been" vs. the power of "the #MeToo movement plus Ohio State haters in a social media-influenced world". Should be interesting. I suppose it will give the talking heads on ESPN and sports talk radio something to chew on for three weeks until actual games start.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

If Urban is interested, I hear the Parma Panthers might be looking for a coach......
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

read an article in a Waco paper trying to rehabilitate Art Briles career. also heard this morning that OSU has fired every football HC since 1948. So its not like they're shy about kicking someone off the plane if its in OSU's best interest.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

sr wrote:Is Tressel's tenure any type of precedent ?? Different specifics, but ...
If so, it's about the lying......
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:“If You Think Urban Meyer's Career Is Over, You Underestimate The Power Of Winning”

The power of "how things have always been" vs. the power of "the #MeToo movement plus Ohio State haters in a social media-influenced world". Should be interesting. I suppose it will give the talking heads on ESPN and sports talk radio something to chew on for three weeks until actual games start.
I remember when August was actually about football. Listening to sports reporters talk about social issues is like listening to old biddies talk about too much this or that on tv.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Poseidon wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

I remember when August was actually about football. Listening to sports reporters talk about social issues is like listening to old biddies talk about too much this or that on tv.
That was true when I was in my twenties back before the Interweb and in your playing days too. But now with a zillion media outlets needing something, anything to fill their bit buckets combined with the fact that most marquee programs’ head coaches are each state’s highest paid employee, and we are where we are. The toothpaste is out of the tube and can’t be put back in.

Now get off of my lawn.