Urban Meyer is on a hot seat of his own making

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Urban Meyer is on a hot seat of his own making

Unread post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:I don’t know what planet you live on but in my world the truth matters. You did something or you did not. The media is not the enemy, lies are.
Then shouldn't the media be obligated to tell the truth and not be agenda driven (or at least competent and understand the topic they are "reporting" on)? I'm not talking political nonsense, because all politicians do is lie for a living, but just every day what should be objective news?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

But when the media lies or better leaves out certain facts - then what?? Happens every day in all news and sports reporting.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

A fellow trivia player here is an Eastman attorney and OSU alumnus; he thinks that six months and a winning season will make everyone forget about this completely. I guess that the SEC teflon pertains to the Buckeyes as well...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

sr wrote:But when the media lies or better leaves out certain facts - then what?? Happens every day in all news and sports reporting.
They aren’t above getting the facts wrong. The ESPN Tulane/SMU gamepage still says the controversial last call was “confirmed” by replay when in fact the ruling was that the call stood.
Victory is never permanent
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

TUPF wrote:I don’t know what planet you live on but in my world the truth matters. You did something or you did not. The media is not the enemy, lies are.
Yes the truth matters. It is what trust, cooperation, and postive reciprocal realtionships are built on. However, truth can be used to do harm. Suppose someone breaks into your house and gets the jump on you and your dead meat. He then ask if anyone else live there. Do you owe him the truth and tell him your family is present? The point is you do not owe the truth to those who would cause you or those you value harm. The media in this case is clearly trying to harm Meyer. They can do that. They may be trying to harm meyer as an example to others who would take the same actions he did. Those actions may not be right, but it doesnt change the fact that they want him, his wife, his football program, and his school harmed by dragging them through the mud at the very least. Given the stakes this is obvious. He doesnt ethically owe them anything.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

I almost bought it until you used ethics. Safety of family is a far different situation and you know it. ‘Those actions may not be right but...”. says you have different standards when stakes are high. I believe that is the very crux of when truth matters the most and all of us must be held accountable, no matter who or what gets a mud bath. It’s easy to be truthful when there is nothing to lose.

Obviously we have different standards.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Meanwhile, Brett McMurphy is sticking it to ESPN. Good for him.

https://deadspin.com/how-espn-ended-up- ... 1828089258
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:Meanwhile, Brett McMurphy is sticking it to ESPN. Good for him.

https://deadspin.com/how-espn-ended-up- ... 1828089258
Amen. He's figured out how to remain relevant while doing it.

Anyway contrast that with the suits in BR. Alleva and ED O fire Canada and he ends up with a nice new job at Maryland and about 1/2 of what he was owed by LSU for future work. No offset required (unlike McMurphy.)

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 45e46.html

Meanwhile LSU just keeps paying Miles until he finds another job as an HC which I give about a 1% likelihood of happening.

I guess Alleva while spending LSU's money on former employees will be spending his time this fall wondering how A&M could close on Jimbo Fisher and he got Ed O................
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
Yes the truth matters. It is what trust, cooperation, and postive reciprocal realtionships are built on. However, truth can be used to do harm. Suppose someone breaks into your house and gets the jump on you and your dead meat. He then ask if anyone else live there. Do you owe him the truth and tell him your family is present? The point is you do not owe the truth to those who would cause you or those you value harm. The media in this case is clearly trying to harm Meyer. They can do that. They may be trying to harm meyer as an example to others who would take the same actions he did. Those actions may not be right, but it doesnt change the fact that they want him, his wife, his football program, and his school harmed by dragging them through the mud at the very least. Given the stakes this is obvious. He doesnt ethically owe them anything.
I don't think we are that far off. We are both honest enough to lay it out as we see it. I think our view of the media's approach to Meyer is where we differ. If you are a coach or a player the media at large is not your friend. A good beat reporter may be the closest you get to someone who will give you a fair shake. However at "media days " many are there to see who can stir something up and make a name for themsselves. Given the obvious lack of trust between the parties, sharing the truth is hazardous.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
I don't think we are that far off. We are both honest enough to lay it out as we see it. I think our view of the media's approach to Meyer is where we differ. If you are a coach or a player the media at large is not your friend. A good beat reporter may be the closest you get to someone who will give you a fair shake. However at "media days " many are there to see who can stir something up and make a name for themsselves. Given the obvious lack of trust between the parties, sharing the truth is hazardous.
Meyer is welcome to lie to the media...and we are welcome to judge him harshly for doing so.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Well played, ml.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Last edited by sr on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

sr wrote:Interesting tweets -- a Tom Herman connection

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/10 ... 07425?s=20
Or not
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

I think we can safely say no one would have predicted this.

Consequently I can't guess what will happen to Meyer other than continued confusion in the camp of a Tulane future opponent.

https://watchstadium.com/news/zach-smit ... 8-17-2018/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/zach ... ar-BBM4qdt
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

While it helps paint a better picture of Smith in terms of his character (which is big in "he said/she said" cases), I don't think this has anything to do with Meyer's status. It's very doubtful this sort of stuff was known by Meyer, so unless photos appear with Meyer in them, this is all just salacious stuff to further sway public opinion about the OSU program in general.

But ESPN is gonna need to be really careful with their sign vetting at College Football Gameday this coming Fall, eh? Especially if they go to a Big 10 school (likely the week after our game, OSU/PSU).
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

With the latest news (see above Baywave1 post) expect some pretty creative signage this fall. Some signage should start with game one and ramp-up leading to Gamedays at B10 schools. It will reach total saturation when OSU is involved. Then sign police should have busy Saturday mornings :dots:
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Baywave1 wrote:I think we can safely say no one would have predicted this.

Consequently I can't guess what will happen to Meyer other than continued confusion in the camp of a Tulane future opponent.

https://watchstadium.com/news/zach-smit ... 8-17-2018/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/zach ... ar-BBM4qdt
https://twitter.com/SportsChannel8/stat ... 17024?s=20

Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Smith is looking more and more like a tainwreck, but from my experience and studies people like him dont just become that way out of the blue. They also usually have partners who either willingly participate or desire the same type of activity. I am not blaming the victim, but saying the recent relevations make the whole situation worse. One would be wrong to assume his wife was as off the rails as him, but it would also be naive to assume she's a pure and sexually innocent bystander. That said, McMurhpy is scalp hunting with little to no care how many lives he affects negatively. This whole thing stinks. Smith sucks, but he is not the first employee to do this, fire him and be done with it. As far as having the stuff delivered to work is a red herring. Maybe he didnt want the kids to accidentally open them. People have packages delivered to work all the time. The items werent illegal and if you have ever stumbled into the adult section of Amazon you willl surprised at what they have and how popular they are. It's a strange and weird world out there.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

sr wrote:With the latest news (see above Baywave1 post) expect some pretty creative signage this fall. Some signage should start with game one and ramp-up leading to Gamedays at B10 schools. It will reach total saturation when OSU is involved. Then sign police should have busy Saturday mornings :dots:
Isn't that exactly what I said in the post above you?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Good point guys. All I know is that if I had the verve and leisure time (like I was a college student again) along with all my close buds, we would be planning keggers and signage for days. There is no way ESPN censors will catch every potential double entendre. They'll be spending all their time on the folks who eschew subtlety like "Buckeye Brutus takes pix of his...." I'm sure the PSU fans will revel in their ability to pile on post Paterno.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

PeteRasche wrote:
sr wrote:With the latest news (see above Baywave1 post) expect some pretty creative signage this fall. Some signage should start with game one and ramp-up leading to Gamedays at B10 schools. It will reach total saturation when OSU is involved. Then sign police should have busy Saturday mornings :dots:
Isn't that exactly what I said in the post above you?
yeah, so ...
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Yup, there are some freaky people living among us. I learned that firsthand on my first submarine when our chief engineer, and my boss, hung himself in his garage in 1982. We were in a shipyard overhaul at the time which is a very high stress environment and all of us just assumed he had cracked under the stress and did himself in. Soon after the funeral with military honors is over, we get called into the wardroom to be briefed by the Naval Investigative Service. It turns out ol’ Chief Engineer offed himself while wearing women’s lingerie in a process none of us had ever heard of in 1982 —autoeroticism. It’s better known now and a couple of actors bit the big one since in the same way, but we were clueless then. Yours truly got made the acting Chief Engineer because I had just passed my exam at Naval Reactors, proving that no good deed goes unpunished.

It got better/worse. NIS pulled back the veil and found out that the deceased AND his wife were deep into a big sex ring on the base involving both officers and enlisteds, which is wrong on a whole other level. More than a few careers were smashed on the rocks of stupidity.

So now when I hear about supposedly unusual behavior like this OSU coach or the phantom pooper school superintendent, I had my baptism in reality years ago and believe anyone is capable of anything.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Zach Smith is going off on a twitter rant against McMurphy, and seems to be implicating Tom Herman in some stuff as well. Hmmm.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnba9I
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:Zach Smith is going off on a twitter rant against McMurphy, and seems to be implicating Tom Herman in some stuff as well. Hmmm.....

I thought this story was just a flavor of the day? All I know is it won't stop OSU from winning Saturday. :green wink:
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Baywave1 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Zach Smith is going off on a twitter rant against McMurphy, and seems to be implicating Tom Herman in some stuff as well. Hmmm.....

I thought this story was just a flavor of the day? All I know is it won't stop OSU from winning Saturday. :green wink:
RE: Tom Herman - yeah, the Austin local press has been mentioning him, strip joints and HS coaches all day.