8/7 pm scrimmage....assume we will not get scoop...

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Coach Level

8/7 pm scrimmage....assume we will not get scoop...

Unread post by 1401973 »

The media day broadcast (which I may suggest was another tremendously well managed event) mentioned a scrimmage last night.
Would love to get some scoop, but WF runs a tight ship.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: 8/7 pm scrimmage....assume we will not get scoop...

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I remember fondly the days when posters here would attend scrimmages and share their observations with us............
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

The days of open practice are pretty much gone. Media can only shoot the last 30 minutes of the practice, and some practices are 100% closed to the media.

Fans are outright banned. There are probably some exceptions, but those that can get in, aren’t saying much.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Hopefully the media department post a report online.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

and WF certainly falls in the Scrimmage Cone of Silence camp. More so than any coach I have seen at TU
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Did y'all consider that in the good old days, the average "fan" (or, ya know, staff member from a future opponent) attending our scrimmages or practices didn't have a high definition video camera in his pocket?

It was one thing for a scout to write down a note or two about something he saw, it's another to bring back high def video of it. And I doubt we're gonna confiscate phones at the gate, so... no fans allowed.

That said, the reports here from real fans always painted a (typically far-too-) rosy picture of how we looked, so they were usually not worth much other than just giving everyone something to talk about and filling the slow dog days of August.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

You are correct sir!
I do remember those rosy projections.
We (me) are all just itching for info.
I used to like hearing about the battles at positions and to see if any new faces (and in De'Andre Williams' case - old faces) are making an impact.
Big example: Will we have a new punter this year? No one has said a thing, but the new guy we brought in was supposed to be very good and we need improvement there.
Backups at corner?
Who are the twos at DL?
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Some people got very optimistic. So did I but I never got carried away to the point of predicting a 9 win season during the Toledo era. The two things I got most carried away with were JP Losman’s first scrimmage and a TE whose name escapes me....I’ll get it later...boom! Gabe Ratcliff. He always looked like a primary target but never did that in games though he played a lot and caught a few passes. If I saw it all over again I’d get it wrong again. As for JP I’m not the only person who missed that he was somehow less than the sum of his parts.

I miss being able to catch a scrimmage but I can put up with not doing so. I do think that one open scrimmage in spring and fall could be used to get the local fans feeling more connected.

There is a short in-house music video of the scrimmage. All I noticed were two plays where Jaylon Monroe had tight coverage on the sideline...he will win the Jim Thorpe Award this year.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

long green wrote:Some people got very optimistic. So did I but I never got carried away to the point of predicting a 9 win season during the Toledo era. The two things I got most carried away with were JP Losman’s first scrimmage and a TE whose name escapes me....I’ll get it later...boom! Gabe Ratcliff. He always looked like a primary target but never did that in games though he played a lot and caught a few passes. If I saw it all over again I’d get it wrong again. As for JP I’m not the only person who missed that he was somehow less than the sum of his parts.

I miss being able to catch a scrimmage but I can put up with not doing so. I do think that one open scrimmage in spring and fall could be used to get the local fans feeling more connected.

There is a short in-house music video of the scrimmage. All I noticed were two plays where Jaylon Monroe had tight coverage on the sideline...he will win the Jim Thorpe Award this year.
The one who stands out to me was Peyton Jason.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Poseidon wrote:
long green wrote:Some people got very optimistic. So did I but I never got carried away to the point of predicting a 9 win season during the Toledo era. The two things I got most carried away with were JP Losman’s first scrimmage and a TE whose name escapes me....I’ll get it later...boom! Gabe Ratcliff. He always looked like a primary target but never did that in games though he played a lot and caught a few passes. If I saw it all over again I’d get it wrong again. As for JP I’m not the only person who missed that he was somehow less than the sum of his parts.

The one who stands out to me was Peyton Jason.
As a true freshman Jason was on his way to taking a lot of carries from Andre Anderson when he got wrecked on a horse collar tackle vs Marshall. I get steamed thinking about that still. It was in garbage time in a game that Toledo has stopped trying to win when Jason had already proved he was better than a garbage time player. /rant
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

I loved those reports and the fact they were optimistic was a plus in my book. If pre-season isn't a time for a fan to be optimistic then when is it? Those posters who became upset because things didn't turn out as hoped by scrimmage fan reports were the ones with the problem, IMO.

and yes, still so many questions beyond the obvious ones.
long green
Cornerstone

GreenieBacker wrote:I loved those reports and the fact they were optimistic was a plus in my book. If pre-season isn't a time for a fan to be optimistic then when is it? Those posters who became upset because things didn't turn out as hoped by scrimmage fan reports were the ones with the problem, IMO.
This, and I have a list of names.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

long green wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:I loved those reports and the fact they were optimistic was a plus in my book. If pre-season isn't a time for a fan to be optimistic then when is it? Those posters who became upset because things didn't turn out as hoped by scrimmage fan reports were the ones with the problem, IMO.
We're undefeated til we're not!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

After watching scrimmages I’d always be optimistic except for the OLine. I don’t know if there was ever a scrimmage that I didn’t leave thinking “OL will still be a problem”. I hope those days are gone!

They did announce the whole spring scrimmage that photography was not allowed. The former media guy for FB used to walk the stands telling people to put their cameras away.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

The problem is the optimism usually last for three to four years and we are back to year one two years too late. We needed to cut the cord a lot earlier in many of these instances. Our contracts with these coaches need to be structured with this in mind. How many coaches have we had in the past twenty years. The need to win is now and we cannot wait the usual cycle. And fans should be able to discuss this without insult.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

tjtlja wrote:The problem is the optimism usually last for three to four years and we are back to year one two years too late. We needed to cut the cord a lot earlier in many of these instances. Our contracts with these coaches need to be structured with this in mind. How many coaches have we had in the past twenty years. The need to win is now and we cannot wait the usual cycle. And fans should be able to discuss this without insult.
Rick Dickson is not the AD any longer, and if you turn this thread into a discussion of Jewett I'll reach through the internet and slap you.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:The problem is the optimism usually last for three to four years and we are back to year one two years too late. We needed to cut the cord a lot earlier in many of these instances. Our contracts with these coaches need to be structured with this in mind. How many coaches have we had in the past twenty years. The need to win is now and we cannot wait the usual cycle. And fans should be able to discuss this without insult.
Rick Dickson is not the AD any longer, and if you turn this thread into a discussion of Jewett I'll reach through the internet and slap you.
Long arms still coming in handy, huh?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Pete, you are ruining all the fun - party pooper!

Let’s start the list - Dickerson, Finney, Conroy, Davis, CJ, Toledo, English, Scelfo, and dare do I say ....

No one in this group deserved more than two to three years based on record and recruiting.

If you are into numbers, we have had 11 football coaches since 1980 (that is counting Mark Hutson) and 4 basketball coaches since 2000.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

6 out of 8 hired and/or kept too long by RD/SC. And if you want to stick your chin out for that slap, realize you said two to three years and it's been two, so you can't complain too much yet. However, that whole concept is ridiculous, only SEC schools fire coaches after two years. Tulane isn't in that realm of foolishness.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

long green wrote:
Did you really keep names? Why? Most of the people I have talked to over the years just joked about those reports knowing it was Tulane vs. Tulane. Most people are knowledgeable enough to know when we can really feel optimistic.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote:6 out of 8 hired and/or kept too long by RD/SC. And if you want to stick your chin out for that slap, realize you said two to three years and it's been two, so you can't complain too much yet. However, that whole concept is ridiculous, only SEC schools fire coaches after two years. Tulane isn't in that realm of foolishness.
Look at the results after years 2 and 3. Look at the recruiting, especially after year one. Davis, Toledo, CJ, English, Finney, and Conroy all fit that profile. Cutting your losses after two years is not foolish. It is done to CEO’s, CFO’s, etc., everyday over a wide range of industries. The RD/SC era obviously contributed to this, but there is nothing wrong with admitting your mistakes. Who are you referring to in the SEC (football only)? Arkansas kept Biliema for five long agonizing years. Butch Jones was at UT for 4 years. The only guy I can think of is Derek Dooley who deserved to go after a couple of years.
Last edited by tjtlja on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
long green wrote:
We're undefeated til we're not!
Undefeated untied and unscored upon
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

:roll: (using an emoji is not a personal attack and since you deem big words a personal attack I thought I'd use a picture instead)
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

MattK wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Long arms still coming in handy, huh?
Winner winner chicken dinner
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:6 out of 8 hired and/or kept too long by RD/SC. And if you want to stick your chin out for that slap, realize you said two to three years and it's been two, so you can't complain too much yet. However, that whole concept is ridiculous, only SEC schools fire coaches after two years. Tulane isn't in that realm of foolishness.
Shh he doesn't do well with salient facts.
#cousins don't count