LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
FW
Cornerstone

Re: LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Post by FW »

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:My good friend Dennis Fremin past last week (as I posted) and it has been difficult. He was such a great friend and Green Wave fan. I know his feelings exactly today after reading Maneiri’s horse crap - screw LSU. I couldn’t agree more. We have certainly done so much harm to ourselves over the past 50 years in athletics, but I have always viewed baseball differently. If we could have landed some regionals in the years of going to the Box every year when the field was 48 teams, who knows, we may have had a couple of championship billboards. Those were some pretty damn good teams Coach Jones took up the river, but they were a dynasty at home and in Omaha. We were one of the teams that could really compete with them. After reading Pauley’s explanation, it is such a slap in the face. You play us home and home every year because we are Tulane baseball. This has nothing to do with the other teams in the state. I don’t like the price gouging, no TV, online streaming, and the product we have on the field right now, but I’ll be damn if I play them ever again. It is time for us to go in a different direction. There are numerous SEC teams that will do a home and home weekend series with us because we are Tulane. Forget the west coast, and schedule regionally. And make Tulane baseball what it was the past 30 years, a force to be reckon with! Dennis, this one is for you my friend.
Good post. It should be noted though that Brockhoff led us to several Regionals when the field was 48. Jones did it his first year when it was 48 and then the field was expanded to 64. I know that's a good while ago so I understand the confusion.
Jones actually led us to the regionals 3 times when it was 48 teams. 94, 96 and 98, and then it was expanded to 99. We got royally shafted in 99. In 94 we were the 3 seed (out of 6) in Baton Rouge, and beat #4 Fresno State 7-5, lost to #2 Southern Cal 5-0 and lost to #5 UNC-Greensboro 4-1. In '96 we were the #4 seed in Baton Rouge. We beat #3 UNLV 10-7, lost to #5 UNO13-5 and lost to #2 Georgia Tech 7-4. In '98, we were the #3 seed, beat #4 USL 13-5, lost #2 Fullerton 10-6, and lost to #5 Harvard 15-11.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

I pretty much thought it was impossible to hate LSUcks any more than I already do. Well they manufactured yet another way to ramp up my hate. Yea, I know. Hate is not a good emotion. But in this case it keeps the old blood flowing. Go to hell LSUcks. And stay there.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Luv me some lsu hate in the morning.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

windywave wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:So TD did the right thing. good. i like him
I just whistle as I walk on by
Silence is deafening from some.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Win with humility, lose with dignity.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

FW wrote:
wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:My good friend Dennis Fremin past last week (as I posted) and it has been difficult. He was such a great friend and Green Wave fan. I know his feelings exactly today after reading Maneiri’s horse crap - screw LSU. I couldn’t agree more. We have certainly done so much harm to ourselves over the past 50 years in athletics, but I have always viewed baseball differently. If we could have landed some regionals in the years of going to the Box every year when the field was 48 teams, who knows, we may have had a couple of championship billboards. Those were some pretty damn good teams Coach Jones took up the river, but they were a dynasty at home and in Omaha. We were one of the teams that could really compete with them. After reading Pauley’s explanation, it is such a slap in the face. You play us home and home every year because we are Tulane baseball. This has nothing to do with the other teams in the state. I don’t like the price gouging, no TV, online streaming, and the product we have on the field right now, but I’ll be damn if I play them ever again. It is time for us to go in a different direction. There are numerous SEC teams that will do a home and home weekend series with us because we are Tulane. Forget the west coast, and schedule regionally. And make Tulane baseball what it was the past 30 years, a force to be reckon with! Dennis, this one is for you my friend.
Good post. It should be noted though that Brockhoff led us to several Regionals when the field was 48. Jones did it his first year when it was 48 and then the field was expanded to 64. I know that's a good while ago so I understand the confusion.
Jones actually led us to the regionals 3 times when it was 48 teams. 94, 96 and 98, and then it was expanded to 99. We got royally shafted in 99. In 94 we were the 3 seed (out of 6) in Baton Rouge, and beat #4 Fresno State 7-5, lost to #2 Southern Cal 5-0 and lost to #5 UNC-Greensboro 4-1. In '96 we were the #4 seed in Baton Rouge. We beat #3 UNLV 10-7, lost to #5 UNO13-5 and lost to #2 Georgia Tech 7-4. In '98, we were the #3 seed, beat #4 USL 13-5, lost #2 Fullerton 10-6, and lost to #5 Harvard 15-11.
Thanks for correcting my memory.
We deserve so much better
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:Seriously, everyone who hasn't yet, needs to go listen to FTW's podcast before carrying this conversation further. He clarifies many points that are entertained on this thread.
In 30 minutes, I learned more about what's going on (more than just baseball), than I probably did during RD's entire tenure.
Off the top of my head:
* Almost lost the Home and Home last year, but TJ relationship with PM saved it for another year
* Escalated quickly. Board members and legislators involved in discussions that ultimately failed
* Tulane will not cede control of our media rights at home*
* Can't say it in official capacity, but 5 out of 6 probably had something to do with it
* TD surprised at pushback from Wave fans about playing lsu on Airline Drive
I was blown away by how open TD was in the interview.

The one thing that stood out to me the most was his interest in starting an esports team.

Now, I don't get the draw of esports, but there is no denying its growing popularity, especially among the younger crowds (I'm 30 and still too old to really get it). It says a lot of TD about how forward thinking TD and staff are compared to the previous administration.
Whoever thought of the idea to call "playing video games" "e-sports" was brilliant. Not really sports, but then ESPN shows darts, cards and spelling bees so...
I crossed that Rubicon just recently and I’m 62. I feel much better calling things competition. That way I can justify fat guys who are good at golf and not snicker at dart players getting pinched nerves. Pretty soon we will see regional cup stacking playoffs and Girl Scout cookie selling Final Fours (can you imagine trying to regulate that?)!
So I wish I saw this 2 days ago, but ESPN went full "Ocho" for a day (yesterday). https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bold-s ... 202899209/
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:Seriously, everyone who hasn't yet, needs to go listen to FTW's podcast before carrying this conversation further. He clarifies many points that are entertained on this thread.
In 30 minutes, I learned more about what's going on (more than just baseball), than I probably did during RD's entire tenure.
Off the top of my head:
* Almost lost the Home and Home last year, but TJ relationship with PM saved it for another year
* Escalated quickly. Board members and legislators involved in discussions that ultimately failed
* Can't say it in official capacity, but 5 out of 6 probably had something to do with it

The one thing that stood out to me the most was his interest in starting an esports team.

Now, I don't get the draw of esports, but there is no denying its growing popularity, especially among the younger crowds (I'm 30 and still too old to really get it). It says a lot of TD about how forward thinking TD and staff are compared to the previous administration.
Whoever thought of the idea to call "playing video games" "e-sports" was brilliant. Not really sports, but then ESPN shows darts, cards and spelling bees so...
I crossed that Rubicon just recently and I’m 62. I feel much better calling things competition. That way I can justify fat guys who are good at golf and not snicker at dart players getting pinched nerves. Pretty soon we will see regional cup stacking playoffs and Girl Scout cookie selling Final Fours (can you imagine trying to regulate that?)!
So I wish I saw this 2 days ago, but ESPN went full "Ocho" for a day (yesterday). https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bold-s ... 202899209/
What’s old is new again. We are back to ESPN’s early days when they were begging for content. Heck, I’d watch Australian Rules Football again. Log rolling, not so much. :angel:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

gerryb323 wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Off the top of my head:

Isn't it because it's 8/8. now your have to wait a year.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Off the top of my head:

I have to be honest; I would prefer almost all of those competitions/events over any of the 438 talking head shows (and not even the good, David Byrne kind) they choose to broadcast instead.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Poseidon wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Off the top of my head:

Yes, that's why they chose yesterday.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone