Ole Miss replaces Col. Reb with... *ding dong*... LANDSHARK.

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Ole Miss replaces Col. Reb with... *ding dong*... LANDSHARK.

Post by PeteRasche »

Seriously.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnbfcL

I mean, I know tweeting and memes are the domain of the younger set, but no one even went to SNL in that link above?? Is the obvious response THAT old and outdated?
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Re: Ole Miss replaces Col. Reb with... *ding dong*... LANDSH

Post by AO Sig »

Could be related to Jimmy Buffett's song "Fins." I was introduced to that song while I was an undergrad by several co-eds one rainy Saturday afternoon; became a parrothead quickly after Patty Souchak, Lynn Kraus, among others, exposed me to the album "Volcano."
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

AO Sig wrote:Could be related to Jimmy Buffett's song "Fins." I was introduced to that song while I was an undergrad by several co-eds one rainy Saturday afternoon; became a parrothead quickly after Patty Souchak, Lynn Kraus, among others, exposed me to the album "Volcano."
Did you read the link?
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

Landshark? Seriously....Maybe Miss State can join in the fun & call themselves the Vans down by the River.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Almost makes me miss Grover.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

PeteRasche wrote:
AO Sig wrote:Could be related to Jimmy Buffett's song "Fins." I was introduced to that song while I was an undergrad by several co-eds one rainy Saturday afternoon; became a parrothead quickly after Patty Souchak, Lynn Kraus, among others, exposed me to the album "Volcano."
Did you read the link?
Admittedly no. Just finished 9 hours on the road when I wrote on this, was near exhaustion from being patient with a nervous daughter getting her first experience driving in a traffic jam (I-95 through South Carolina is a lot different than what we normally have in Kingsport, and she has been a rather reluctant driver).

I was mostly replying to the posting of the SNL skit, did not realize it was actually based in part on Jimmy. Since he has strong ties to the Pascagoula area, at least they are using something from someone with ties to the state. I also agree on the sorry state in which the younger generation have no idea just how amazing SNL was in the 1970's; I have tried watching it, and the ingenuity and uniqueness of the original "not ready for prime time players" was light years ahead of what they put out now, in my opinion.

Still think Admiral Ackbar would have been my choice, irrespective of who they chose.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

BACONWAVE wrote:Landshark? Seriously....Maybe Miss State can join in the fun & call themselves the Vans down by the River.
Ummmm...they already own the "more cowbell" SNL thing...

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

AO Sig wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Did you read the link?
Admittedly no. Just finished 9 hours on the road when I wrote on this, was near exhaustion from being patient with a nervous daughter getting her first experience driving in a traffic jam (I-95 through South Carolina is a lot different than what we normally have in Kingsport, and she has been a rather reluctant driver).

I was mostly replying to the posting of the SNL skit, did not realize it was actually based in part on Jimmy. Since he has strong ties to the Pascagoula area, at least they are using something from someone with ties to the state. I also agree on the sorry state in which the younger generation have no idea just how amazing SNL was in the 1970's; I have tried watching it, and the ingenuity and uniqueness of the original "not ready for prime time players" was light years ahead of what they put out now, in my opinion.

Still think Admiral Ackbar would have been my choice, irrespective of who they chose.
There was actually a strong movement among the students for that, right up until the administration got the cease and desist letter from LuscasFilm....
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

GretnaGrn wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:Landshark? Seriously....Maybe Miss State can join in the fun & call themselves the Vans down by the River.
Ummmm...they already own the "more cowbell" SNL thing...

Yeah but they need to get ahead of Ole Miss again....lol
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

It looks like the Geico gecko is moonlighting as the shark.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson