Dixie Beer heading home -

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
sr
Regent's Circle

Dixie Beer heading home -

Post by sr »

- well a bit East of home.
For Immediate Release: Tuesday, August 7, 2018

The Dixie Brewing Company, LLC. has announced today the company’s restoration of brewing operations to the city of New Orleans as part of a multimillion dollar project on the Industrial Canal in New Orleans East.

Dixie Beer, which was established in New Orleans in 1907, had developed into one of the Gulf South’s iconic craft beer brands, but has been brewed out of state since Hurricane Katrina. Intending to return the beer to its former glory, the late Tom Benson and his wife Gayle, purchased Dixie Brewing Company in 2017. Since the purchase of the brand, Mrs. Benson and her late husband’s intention has been to return the Dixie Beer’s production to New Orleans.

“We are thrilled to be announcing this development here in New Orleans East, as we renovate a building no longer in commerce and turn it into a center of vibrant economic development,” said Gayle Benson. “This is the realization that my late husband Tom (Benson) had and his goal was to bring business to New Orleans and to be able to bring such an iconic brand such as Dixie Beer back where it belongs makes it that much more exciting.”

With today’s announcement, Dixie Brewing Company will renovate and equip an 80,000-square-foot- portion of the former MacFrugal’s building on the Industrial Canal. The brands include Dixie, Dixie Light and Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager. With brewing operations returning to New Orleans, Dixie Brewing will create jobs for the region in bringing the unused New Orleans East facility back to commerce. As well as creating the manufacturing center for Dixie Beer products, development plans of the project will aim to make the site a consumer destination as well, through the establishment of a brewpub, tours and other recreational amenities.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Re: Dixie Beer heading home -

Post by AO Sig »

The brewery on Tulane avenue was impressive; I remember dropping off my case of empty long-necks there the day before I left after sophomore year. Went across the street, had a drink or 3 at Nick's. My mom came along, spent an hour talking with Miss Dora.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Dixie long necks. Now that’s a nice memory!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

While discussing bad beers (which the new iteration of Dixie beer certainly is, even if my tastebuds--or maybe just my nostalgic memory--convinces me that old Dixie beer was OK)......

Thought y'all might like this article about Maryland's Eastern Shores, region, and Natty Light

http://bittersoutherner.com/natural-lig ... -maryland/
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I have had a “new” Dixie longneck...it’s the same stuff I stopped drinking almost 30 years ago. There’s no reason to drink it for parochial reasons, there are at least a score of better tasting locally made beers. In fact, the only way forward for them IMO is to try to get locals to drink it instead of High Life & PBR.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Well, I’m no beer aficionado so my memory is probably tainted by vendors with the Dixie backpacks pouring you a beer at your Tulane Stadium seat. Pleasant memory > pleasant beer. Plus, I was 18 so I would have consumed just about anything.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

TUPF wrote:Well, I’m no beer aficionado so my memory is probably tainted by vendors with the Dixie backpacks pouring you a beer at your Tulane Stadium seat. Pleasant memory > pleasant beer.
Hence the Natty Light comparison. That's pretty much her argument too.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Dixie is awful.. hated it in college... probably would still hate it now unless they improved the recipe. It always tasted too sweet. When they had Generic Beer at the Schwegmann's and Canal Villiere, I preferred it to Dixie
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Johnny Mac wrote:It always tasted too sweet.
Sometimes in the Rat, we'd drink it through a straw.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Dixie wasn't really around - or at least not in any bars around Tulane - when I was there in the early 90s, but all I ever heard was it was terrible. Never had one.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Couldn’t stand it - the taste was awful (same for Falstaff).

Dixie was my Dad’s beer of choice and he always added a half of teaspoon of salt. Nasty!
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I have to admit the case was obtained more for the mystique of picking up and returning the bottles at the brewery. About the only times Dixie was reasonable was with boiled crawfish (somehow its flavor fit the spicy mudbugs), St. Patrick's day (they had kegs that poured green beer) and when it was free.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Dixie tasted like a "home brew." That's what my uncles drank, so it's all I was exposed to as a kid. Perhaps that's why today I prefer beers from Southeast Asia and Japan.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

TUPF wrote:Well, I’m no beer aficionado so my memory is probably tainted by vendors with the Dixie backpacks pouring you a beer at your Tulane Stadium seat. Pleasant memory > pleasant beer. Plus, I was 18 so I would have consumed just about anything.
I thought it was Jax that the vendors poured.
I could be wrong though as that is a fifty year-old memory.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:Dixie is awful.. hated it in college... probably would still hate it now unless they improved the recipe. It always tasted too sweet. When they had Generic Beer at the Schwegmann's and Canal Villiere, I preferred it to Dixie
Ok, time for a forty year-old memory:
Schweggman.s beer was labeled “Krewes”. Certainly not to meant to be confused with “Coors”.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

BC Wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:Dixie is awful.. hated it in college... probably would still hate it now unless they improved the recipe. It always tasted too sweet. When they had Generic Beer at the Schwegmann's and Canal Villiere, I preferred it to Dixie
Schweggman.s beer was labeled “Krewes”. Certainly not to meant to be confused with “Coors”.
BC, I mean "Generic" beer, not private label... just said "BEER" on the white can... not sure if you remember the "generic" phase the U.S. went through during the early 80s? Canned goods that just said "Peas", "Corn", etc... they made "Beer" as well. Not sure there were bottles of "Wine" or not.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Wow, generic beer. I wasn't old enough to drink in that era, but I have to imagine that was bad.

BTW, has anyone tried Costco Kirkland light beer, the 30 pack of cans for like $11? DON'T.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Johnny Mac wrote:
BC Wave wrote:
BC, I mean "Generic" beer, not private label... just said "BEER" on the white can... not sure if you remember the "generic" phase the U.S. went through during the early 80s? Canned goods that just said "Peas", "Corn", etc... they made "Beer" as well. Not sure there were bottles of "Wine" or not.
There was fine print that said who the manufacturer was. I suppose it was whichever brewer offered the best deal (excessive warehouse stocks in danger of spoilage?), but every can I looked at was brewed by Falstaff--and that was in Maryland, Virginia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Iowa, and Florida.
But actually, I think it was in the early 70's, not the 80's...for some reason I thought it was before the "Billy Beer" fad during Carter's Administration.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Generic was early 80s.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

This is what it looked like. think it's still available in a lot of places. (Trader Joe's, perhaps?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:This is what it looked like. think it's still available in a lot of places. (Trader Joe's, perhaps?
Not at TJs
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

How can a New Orleans thread that has derailed into generic alcohol not mention the K&B brand booze?
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
BC Wave wrote:
Oh yeah, Generic Beer!

I remember the “generic” era and I have a distinct memory of Generic Beer — at Mardi Gras in 1982, two friends of mine had plowed through their selection of Bud and Lowenbrau when they discovered all that was left in their ice chest was a six packo Generic Beer.

One friend grabs a can and pops the top, then proclaims, “Generic Beer from Time Saver
. Tastes shxtty, but it’s cheap”

Other friend: “Tastes shxtty!”

Friend: “It’s cheap!”

This, of course, was a play on the long-runningLite Beer from Miller commercials.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

GretnaGrn wrote:How can a New Orleans thread that has derailed into generic alcohol not mention the K&B brand booze?
Taaka vodka
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

BC Wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
BC Wave wrote:
Oh yeah, Generic Beer!

I remember the “generic” era and I have a distinct memory of Generic Beer — at Mardi Gras in 1982, two friends of mine had plowed through their selection of Bud and Lowenbrau when they discovered all that was left in their ice chest was a six packo Generic Beer.

One friend grabs a can and pops the top, then proclaims, “Generic Beer from Time Saver
. Tastes shxtty, but it’s cheap”

Other friend: “Tastes shxtty!”

Friend: “It’s cheap!”

This, of course, was a play on the long-runningLite Beer from Miller commercials.
Speaking of the 80's.... Lowenbrau?....I remember the commercials.... never had it... will look for it next time I go to the liquor store
#cousins don't count