Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:38 am 
President's Circle

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2018/0 ... eld-pooper

Man, it must feel good to lose your $147K/yr. job over THIS...

Just when you think things can't get any weirder, then you read something like this article.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:22 am 
Regent's Circle

As it says - 'Public Enemy No. 2'. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:27 am 
President's Circle

Alternative therapy. lewdness, littering and defecating in public. Just charge him with Tresspassing and be done with it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:41 pm 
Emerald Circle

What kind of squirrels have to be loose in that guy’s attic?

Boy, do I feel perfectly normal. And regular. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

Will get more than $100,000 from school district

https://nypost.com/2018/08/14/mystery-pooper-will-get-more-than-100k-from-school-district/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:30 am 
Regent's Circle

And people wonder about our educational system? With people like this teaching our children, preparing them for the future, what does this say about the future?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:14 am 
President's Circle

AO Sig wrote:
And people wonder about our educational system? With people like this teaching our children, preparing them for the future, what does this say about the future?

Pink?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:27 am 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

Pink?

Is your pink pink?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:01 am 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

Pink?

Is your pink pink?

It's one guy. Perhaps AO's post is a bit overstated and dramatic? It's a single actor. I don't think this says anything about the future.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:11 am 
President's Circle

"In the 2002 Census of Governments, the United States Census Bureau enumerated the following numbers of school systems in the United States: 13,506 school district governments. 178 state-dependent school systems." - US Census

1 of 13,684 School system administrators.

So this happens 0.000073% of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:21 am 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

Pink?

Is your pink pink?

It's one guy. Perhaps AO's post is a bit overstated and dramatic? It's a single actor. I don't think this says anything about the future.

I could give you a litany of behavior by educators that would reinforce his statement

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:22 am 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
"In the 2002 Census of Governments, the United States Census Bureau enumerated the following numbers of school systems in the United States: 13,506 school district governments. 178 state-dependent school systems." - US Census

1 of 13,684 School system administrators.

So this happens 0.000073% of the time.

Red herring my friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:38 am 
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

Pink?

Is your pink pink?

I could give you a litany of behavior by educators that would reinforce his statement

I could too, but he said "With people like this." How many people like that are in the education system?

If you would like discuss criticisms of the American public educational system I would be happy to oblige. You may probably find that I am likely far more critical and pessimistic of its ability and purpose than you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:27 pm 
Regent's Circle

My daughter is starting college (we are situating her in her dorm at UCF- she did not get enough offers, funds-wise for Tulane, and they gave in-state tuition), and while she was in high school they tried to teach her a new math counting system that would change 10+15 to a 5 or 6 step process, rather than just "add the 10's and add the 1's."

I was making a generality; however, there are far too many things being taught that really don't prepare most of the kids for the real world. That is what is scary to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:

There’s not a prominent field of endeavor in our nation that does not harbor someone as strange as this man (the dismissed administrator/educator, not AO).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:25 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

Pink?

Is your pink pink?

I could too, but he said "With people like this." How many people like that are in the education system?

If you would like discuss criticisms of the American public educational system I would be happy to oblige. You may probably find that I am likely far more critical and pessimistic of its ability and purpose than you.

Challenge issued.... discuss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:
My daughter is starting college (we are situating her in her dorm at UCF- she did not get enough offers, funds-wise for Tulane, and they gave in-state tuition), and while she was in high school they tried to teach her a new math counting system that would change 10+15 to a 5 or 6 step process, rather than just "add the 10's and add the 1's."

I was making a generality; however, there are far too many things being taught that really don't prepare most of the kids for the real world. That is what is scary to me.

Or making every class pass fail.... why bother to do more than the minimum?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:11 pm 
President's Circle

Well lets's state what we are talking about. Publicly funded Education K-12?

The macro-criticisms
1. The attendance by 5-18 year olds is compulsory and mandatory - This has two major affects . Parents and kids don't appreciate the opportunities at school given to them. Attendance is forced. They resent being forced consciously and unconsciously. Second, schools and teachers have to keep them in the classroom even if no parties involved desire that to be so. What we see as a result is obvious, government daycare with passive educational exposure.

2. The archaic Prussian k-12 structure. Our system was designed for producing efficient, simple factory and military civilians of the 19th century. Bells, class periods, daily grades and busy work(meeting your quota for the day) with 8 hour schedules(get used to the 9-5). This model isn't a bad one for some one to climb out of the squaller of the 19th century. It's just not this great opportunity be educated that we think it is. The "go at your classmates pace and no further" is only a reasonable strategy if you want equal outcomes. If you want to let people excel this is not a reasonable structure.

3. The internet age in the past 20 years caused is the biggest shift of availability of knowledge in human history. The idea that we should approach the education the same manner we did in 1955, because hey it worked for our parents, should be reexamined. The dedication to tradition and bureaucracy will see the products of this system enter a world that no longer values its level of knowledge or way of learning and its students will be overshadowed by those who rejected the system and excelled because they took advantage of the technological curve.

Last edited by Poseidon on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:00 pm 
Regent's Circle

AO Sig wrote:

My (limited) understanding of the "new math" is that, sure, it makes trying to add 10 and 15 unnecessarily complicated and silly but teaches principles that allow for effectively adding things like 982,255 and 68,681.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

My (limited) understanding of the "new math" is that, sure, it makes trying to add 10 and 15 unnecessarily complicated and silly but teaches principles that allow for effectively adding things like 982,255 and 68,681.

I can do that effectively too using the normal method

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:07 pm 
President's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
Well lets's state what we are talking about. Publicly funded Education K-12?

The macro-criticisms
1. The attendance by 5-18 year olds is compulsory and mandatory - This has two major affects . Parents and kids don't appreciate the opportunities at school given to them. Attendance is forced. They resent being forced consciously and unconsciously. Second, schools and teachers have to keep them in the classroom even if no parties involved desire that to be so. What we see as a result is obvious, government daycare with passive educational exposure.

2. The archaic Prussian k-12 structure. Our system was designed for producing efficient, simple factory and military civilians of the 19th century. Bells, class periods, daily grades and busy work(meeting your quota for the day) with 8 hour schedules(get used to the 9-5). This model isn't a bad one for some one to climb out of the squaller of the 19th century. It's just not this great opportunity be educated that we think it is. The "go at your classmates pace and no further" is only a reasonable strategy if you want equal outcomes. If you want to let people excel this is not a reasonable structure.

3. The internet age in the past 20 years caused is the biggest shift of availability of knowledge in human history. Th The idea that we should approach the education the same manner we did in 1955, because hey it worked for our parents, should be reexamined. The dedication to tradition and bureaucracy will see the products of this system enter a world that no longer values its level of knowledge or way of learning and will its students will be overshadowed by those who rejected the system and excelled because they took advantage of the technological curve.

This is an excellent post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:44 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

Sure

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:52 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

Sure

Just because you can't subtract doesn't mean the rest of us can't

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:02 pm 
Cornerstone

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

Sure

Just because you can't subtract doesn't mean the rest of us can't
The next step for "common core" math is to teach the kids to convert the numbers to hexadecimal, teach them to add hex numbers and then convert back to decimal. It's all about communicating "concepts" instead of teaching basic arithmetic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:28 am 
Regent's Circle

If felt to be too political and this is deleted, I understand.

Today is the main move-in day for freshman at UCF. Bernie Sanders is scheduled to speak on campus at 2 pm today. My wife is on several UCF parents' facebook pages; the comments are uniformly two different lines. First, they wonder who was stupid enough to schedule such an event, with all the hoopla crowds to upset the normal flow of events in normal cases, on the same day that big-eyed, disoriented freshmen and their parents are swarming the campus. The second main line of comments is that "the indoctrination is beginning before the first day of classes.

Traffic and parking will be unbelievably hard with the kids trying to move in; having a political guy who everyone wants to see, (whether they agree with him or not) on campus on the same day is truly ridiculous.