Does Tulane & Lowell Narcisse have any interest

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Billow
Coach Level

Re: Does Tulane & Lowell Narcisse have any interest

Post by Billow »

Had an aquintance who was one of the referees in LSU spring game and stated Narcisse looked like the best of the QBs
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:
ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:I would have given that same answer last year based on what I saw of Banks at that spring game. Anyone else remember how he looked? He couldn’t make a throw from the pocket to save his life.
And then, after the season, do you think there was anything to prevent signing a Narcisse-equivalent? Banks was miles better than anyone we've had in recent memory, but objectively he was what, maybe a C+/B-?
I was responding to a fan who based his assessment of what we should do on his impressions from the open spring scrimmage/game. I am not quite sure what you’re after here but to answer your questions...

Even before the season was over the staff put a great effort into signing a Narcisse-equivalent.

Objectively your grade is fair but I would emphasize his very noticeable improvement from start to finish.
Agree on the improvement.

I took your statement to mean something along the lines of Banks didn't look great in the spring but then played well, thereby giving hope that the current backups perform similarly, thereby reducing the need to chase Narcisse/equivalent.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Turned on my radio just in time to hear Mike Detillier talking about Narcisse fitting in at Tulane with Matt Mascona. To quote Mike D. “He would excel in Willie Fritz’s offense”. Also added that he’d do well at La Tech.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

This is why you should subscribe to The Athletic. Everything you wanted to know about grad transfer QBs and how it impacts virtually every CFB program including LSU's and Tulane's. I know it's behind a paywall but it's worth it.

https://theathletic.com/475543/2018/08/ ... -football/

He mentions McMillan but has no news to report on that. Too recent I guess.

Meanwhile here is a scorecard to keep track of all this. FWIW the blogger has taken last six weeks off but it includes comprehensive tracking for those interested through early July.

https://gradtransfertracker.com/
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Caught an interesting stat. 4 of the last 20 QB recruits at lsu have completed 4 years at the school.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote:Caught an interesting stat. 4 of the last 20 QB recruits at lsu have completed 4 years at the school.
Sounds about right.

They are a me$$ at quarterback every year and in ba$ketball every year, yet they keep getting very highly ranked recruit$ in both categorie$. For the life of me, I ju$t don't under$tand how they are $o $ucce$$ful at recruiting to each of tho$e. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:Caught an interesting stat. 4 of the last 20 QB recruits at lsu have completed 4 years at the school.
Sounds about right.

They are a me$$ at quarterback every year and in ba$ketball every year, yet they keep getting very highly ranked recruit$ in both categorie$. For the life of me, I ju$t don't under$tand how they are $o $ucce$$ful at recruiting to each of tho$e. :wink: :wink: :wink:

There is unfortunately some ugly truth underlying your statement. For those interested in the underlying facts, it can be easily Googled. Sadly it becomes even uglier as it intertwines today's off-field news. So I guess as noted above we're simply reporting facts here but upon reflection it still hits too close to home to those of us who witnessed early 1980s at Tulane.

Regardless it's an example of why Fritz spends an extraordinary amount of time in due diligence of his recruits. It's not just about what they do on the field. We should be grateful for that as he may be the exception.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Saw this -

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

sr wrote:
Saw this -

And Mettenberger was a transfer.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Someone ought to share this information with the top QB recruits and their coaches; if someone thinks that they have what it takes to go to the next level, they might want look at schools that have a history of developing quarterbacks that actually have played on Sundays, like that institution down the river in New Orleans.

Of course their reply to this is would be "what are going to believe- your eyes and these statistics, or me?"
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Wave Revival
Navigator Level

Post by Wave Revival »

This past offseason Tulane had three quarterbacks transfer with eligibility remaining, it seems to be an epidemic among college athletics. If you don’t get playing time, instead of stay and compete, go somewhere else. Historically, at Tulane, the starter gets injured and misses playing time, so the opportunity for the back up to get their shot is going to be there. When was the last time a Tulane quarterback started all 12 games of the season?
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Trahan and Daniels are two more local sports guys that think Narcisse would fit in well at Tulane.

https://crescentcitysports.com/former-l ... rfect-fit/
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

AO Sig wrote:Someone ought to share this information with the top QB recruits and their coaches
I'm sure opposing coaches do share that with recruits for whom they are battling LSU. Unfortunately, some high schoolers can't help dreaming of the bright lights and the big show and think it will never happen to them. Some are pushed there by friends and family who want to be a hanger-on to a genuine, bona fide LSU football player. And some who need a little more persuasion, well, $ee my po$t above.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Wave Revival wrote:This past offseason Tulane had three quarterbacks transfer with eligibility remaining, it seems to be an epidemic among college athletics. If you don’t get playing time, instead of stay and compete, go somewhere else. Historically, at Tulane, the starter gets injured and misses playing time, so the opportunity for the back up to get their shot is going to be there. When was the last time a Tulane quarterback started all 12 games of the season?
I believe the epidemic is because coaches are not honest when they recruit players. They massage the egos 18 year olds who have never sat at any point in their career. If they were honest and said: player X in our system you need to come in and learn for two years then you should be ready to win the job and if you dont win the job we believe you can be valueble backup and be a big part of the program in other ways. Are you ok with that?

Furthermore having an offensive system that relies on such exceptional atheletes means you have to take what you can get more in the "team player" aspect of recuits.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

waverider wrote:Trahan and Daniels are two more local sports guys that think Narcisse would fit in well at Tulane.

This is actually a bad take from Daniels for this reason: he thinks we should eliminate the option element to run a cookie cutter spread attack to appeal to Narcisse. “ Cater” might be a better word. Dead wrong and in fact upside down. It is Narcisse who should eliminate his preferences and run Fritz’s offense Fritz’s way. In many ways Narcisse can look like a savior for us but this article highlights why he is probably not. If Narcisse thinks he’d be doing us a favor he’d actually do us one by not considering us at all. This story does nothing to change that.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

i read that Lindsey Scott is drifting down the depth chart at Missouri as their coaches seem to value a 6-3 QB as backup to Lock; Scott seems destined to be the 3rd QB at this point.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

randymc wrote:i read that Lindsey Scott is drifting down the depth chart at Missouri as their coaches seem to value a 6-3 QB as backup to Lock; Scott seems destined to be the 3rd QB at this point.
good
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

long green wrote:
randymc wrote:i read that Lindsey Scott is drifting down the depth chart at Missouri as their coaches seem to value a 6-3 QB as backup to Lock; Scott seems destined to be the 3rd QB at this point.
good
Third string carries the clipboard ...?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I read that same article. He looks like he will be 3rd team, though it has not been decided at this point. I think if this happens, he will transfer again. His best bet will be a Southeastern, Southern, etc.

Are we getting close to getting a commitment from a high school QB?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

If true, I'm sorry for him he sure has made a mess of things. And besides Tulane there were other schools as well that could have been a good fit for him. Of course he got caught up in that whole P5 BS and the rest seems to be history.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:
waverider wrote:Trahan and Daniels are two more local sports guys that think Narcisse would fit in well at Tulane.

This is actually a bad take from Daniels for this reason: he thinks we should eliminate the option element to run a cookie cutter spread attack to appeal to Narcisse. “ Cater” might be a better word. Dead wrong and in fact upside down. It is Narcisse who should eliminate his preferences and run Fritz’s offense Fritz’s way. In many ways Narcisse can look like a savior for us but this article highlights why he is probably not. If Narcisse thinks he’d be doing us a favor he’d actually do us one by not considering us at all. This story does nothing to change that.
Amen. Meanwhile Fritz always has adjusted his offense on the margin to emphasize his player's strengths and hide their weaknesses; same as all good coaches But he ain't changing to air raid/pure spread/point a minute whatever you want to call it football.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

GreenieBacker wrote:If true, I'm sorry for him he sure has made a mess of things. And besides Tulane there were other schools as well that could have been a good fit for him. Of course he got caught up in that whole P5 BS and the rest seems to be history.
You know the sad part is I bet he ends up at Tulane Law School. He is a bright young man from a smart family that values education. However we should never underestimate peer pressure and personal ego.

Scott is 5'9" at most barefoot. Scott is incredibly talented. He needs to be in a coaching system that values the latter and is not blinded by the former. At end of day, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at SELA. We live with our choices.

However major local recruiting obstacle for Fritz remains the active antipathy for Tulane among too many folks around here. Neutrality would be ok which is why he does well in nearby states. It will take years to fix. Meanwhile if Banks can have a break out season maybe it will open the eyes of a talented QB who wants to stay near home and is willling to resist the anti-Tulane peer pressure.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

long green wrote:

As last season went on Fritz cut way back on that aspect of the offense and we did much better. Strange that we brought the spread to college football and have never played it since.
We deserve so much better
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Surely you can’t agree that we should cater to Narcisse, not after what you said about his passing ability. He needs the option element in this offense more than Banks does.

I’d like to see how much we cut back. It was still used, as in the winning TD vs ECU.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

not true, Frank Scelfo ran a version of the spread. Toledo and CJ did not.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.