Summer Libations

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Summer Libations

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:Singapore Slings
True Singapore Sling story. I was at a business conference with a bunch of colleagues in Singapore a few years ago and a bunch of us decided to visit the Raffles Bar, supposedly where the drink was created. It’s a cool place, that Long Bar, and we got caught up in the ambience and started tossing back Slings. One after the other. Probably had 2-3 each and there were about 10 of us.

Comes time to get the bill. Lesson 1: never ever order food or drink in an unknown establishment without first getting an idea of prices. There were none posted and no one thought to ask. Long story short, the bill for about 30 slings was about $1000 USD. We about gagged and had to scramble to scrape together cash between us because for some reason (this was about 15 year ago) they did not take credit cards from non hotel guests. Now, I ALWAYS ask before ordering in a new place.
Da frick?

I have the original recipe from the Raffles back in the day. Two will put you down
Yup, and they go down way too easily. Definitely contributed to the problem.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
True Singapore Sling story. I was at a business conference with a bunch of colleagues in Singapore a few years ago and a bunch of us decided to visit the Raffles Bar, supposedly where the drink was created. It’s a cool place, that Long Bar, and we got caught up in the ambience and started tossing back Slings. One after the other. Probably had 2-3 each and there were about 10 of us.

Comes time to get the bill. Lesson 1: never ever order food or drink in an unknown establishment without first getting an idea of prices. There were none posted and no one thought to ask. Long story short, the bill for about 30 slings was about $1000 USD. We about gagged and had to scramble to scrape together cash between us because for some reason (this was about 15 year ago) they did not take credit cards from non hotel guests. Now, I ALWAYS ask before ordering in a new place.
Da frick?

I have the original recipe from the Raffles back in the day. Two will put you down
Damn "Windy" what's in here? These are like adult Hawaiian Punch and I'm bombed.

I whistled as I walked away (shnockered)
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

1 1⁄2ounces gin
1⁄2ounce cherry heering
1⁄4ounce Cointreau liqueur
1⁄4ounce benedictine
4ounces pineapple juice (trader Joe's is my suggestion)
1⁄2ounce lime juice (make the effort and juice a bag of them so you can booze all day and night)
1⁄3ounce grenadine
1dash bitters
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

European Beer (especially Keler and Estrella Galicia)

Hemingway Daiquiries.

Mojitos

Kalimotxos

Pimm’s Cups

I save my Moscow mules for (NOLA winters), and never in a copper mug

For Asheville advice, Bochon is my fave French restaurant in America (that I’ve been too), and not expensive. An Asheville institution (or was when i still lived near there and in the decade+ leading up to that). “Bon appetite, y’all” as their motto says
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:European Beer (especially Keler and Estrella Galicia)

Hemingway Daiquiries.

Mojitos

Kalimotxos

Pimm’s Cups

I save my Moscow mules for (NOLA winters), and never in a copper mug

For Asheville advice, Bochon is my fave French restaurant in America (that I’ve been too), and not expensive. An Asheville institution (or was when i still lived near there and in the decade+ leading up to that). “Bon appetite, y’all” as their motto says
The key to a good Hemingway daiquiri is the fresh grapefruit juice needs to be on the sweeter side
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Oh, and of course, Txakoli!!!!
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

spent this past weekend in the Norfolk, VA area.. hit a new brewery in Chesapeake called "Big Ugly"... drank their Vegan Air Force IPA.. it was really solid. Not too hoppy. Best parts of the new brewery were the cut out Miller Lite and Bud Light kegs they converted to urinals.

YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

sorry about that monster image.. I've been trying to fix it on imgur and it won't get any smaller
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Johnny Mac wrote:spent this past weekend in the Norfolk, VA area.. hit a new brewery in Chesapeake called "Big Ugly"... drank their Vegan Air Force IPA.. it was really solid. Not too hoppy. Best parts of the new brewery were the cut out Miller Lite and Bud Light kegs they converted to urinals.

The Sandbar restaurant at the beach here on Amelia Island has the same kegs.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:

Da frick?

Damn "Windy" what's in here? These are like adult Hawaiian Punch and I'm bombed.

I whistled as I walked away (shnockered)
Made a pitcher to celebrate the end of summer with a flash flood warning and gee-whizz thunderstorms
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Been doing Long Island Iced Teas lately.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

gerryb323 wrote:Been doing Long Island Iced Teas lately.
Interesting story; the original "Long Island Iced Tea" was made on a small island along the Holston River here in Kingsport, Tennessee! There is now a big debate between a bar on Long Island about which recipe is better; so far they have had two taste tests, one here, one in New York, so far it is 1-1. Have not heard about the deciding one (may have happened while I was out of town)

https://eatsiptrip.10best.com/2018/05/2 ... -iced-tea/
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

And BTW I'm cooking in the frick rain
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Are you a 19 year old girl from 1986?
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

AO Sig wrote:
Interesting story; the original "Long Island Iced Tea" was made on a small island along the Holston River here in Kingsport, Tennessee! There is now a big debate between a bar on Long Island about which recipe is better; so far they have had two taste tests, one here, one in New York, so far it is 1-1. Have not heard about the deciding one (may have happened while I was out of town)

https://eatsiptrip.10best.com/2018/05/2 ... -iced-tea/
It's for hillbillies or B&T no matter which bar wins :king:
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
Why yes, Marty left me on a strange porch after the wierdest dream and I've been trying to get back ever since. I make em with Coke zero and it basically tastes like alcoholic Coke zero. That and I've been drinking down my bottle of Maker's 46. On the rocks.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Why yes, Marty left me on a strange porch after the wierdest dream and I've been trying to get back ever since. I make em with Coke zero and it basically tastes like alcoholic Coke zero. That and I've been drinking down my bottle of Maker's 46. On the rocks.
That's called a roofie son... burgundy with dinner... pitcher number hath been made
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

frick sun just came out
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Windy is not happy how the discussion about the holidays progressed.
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Long Islands were our go-to at all the "all you can drink, beer and call brands" deals at bars around Tulane. In general we found that :
A) you got the most booze in the cup per visit to the bar (in a situation where the line at the bar was always about 4 people deep because of the special so you had to maximize your order), and
B) piling all those cheap call brands on top of each other and topping it with sour and cola generally made the nastiness of the cheap booze less noticeable than when it was just "booze and mixer".

The most we ever managed in one three-hour deal was 13 (each, between 4 of us) . That was a legendary Saturday night during the summer which ended with us leaving a bar on Bourbon Street at about 8 am Sunday morning. Amazingly I can recall a lot of the details 26 years later... 8)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:Long Islands were our go-to at all the "all you can drink, beer and call brands" deals at bars around Tulane. In general we found that :
A) you got the most booze in the cup per visit to the bar (in a situation where the line at the bar was always about 4 people deep because of the special so you had to maximize your order), and
B) piling all those cheap call brands on top of each other and topping it with sour and cola generally made the nastiness of the cheap booze less noticeable than when it was just "booze and mixer".

The most we ever managed in one three-hour deal was 13 (each, between 4 of us) . That was a legendary Saturday night during the summer which ended with us leaving a bar on Bourbon Street at about 8 am Sunday morning. Amazingly I can recall a lot of the details 26 years later... 8)
They were watering down their booze
. I wouldn't do that to you at chez windy
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

To be fair I used fresh lime juice and made my own simple syrup. We're not Neanderthals
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Just a simple Mount Gay & tonic w/lime. Barbados Sugarcane Rum.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:To be fair I used fresh lime juice and made my own simple syrup. We're not Neanderthals

You're still drinking a beverage of the peasantry
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

sr wrote:Just a simple Mount Gay & tonic w/lime. Barbados Sugarcane Rum.
Did you misplace the ginger beer?
#cousins don't count