2018 Football Recruiting

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: 2018 Football Recruiting

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:Sigh. If we didn't recruit him and he wasn't on scholarship (DIII so wasn't) he's eligible
"If you were not recruited by your original school"
It's DIII
Shīt dude.
"Recruited: If a college coach calls you more than once, contacts you off campus, pays your expenses to visit the campus, or in Divisions I and II, issues you a National Letter of Intent or a written offer of financial aid, you are considered to be recruited. In Division I, a written offer of financial aid to attend summer school before full-time enrollment does not mean you have been recruited."
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:Sigh. If we didn't recruit him and he wasn't on scholarship (DIII so wasn't) he's eligible
It's DIII
I know you can read legal stuff, so are you purposely being stubborn? I was wrong on Tanner getting his waiver for an extra year (mostly because that was some BS), so I could be wrong here, but I don't see how.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
It's DIII
I know you can read legal stuff, so are you purposely being stubborn? I was wrong on Tanner getting his waiver for an extra year (mostly because that was some BS), so I could be wrong here, but I don't see how.
I missed it but DIII recruits?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
It's DIII
I'd say the part I just quoted defining "recruited" includes being recruited by a DIII school as DI and DII are specifically separated out. Plus the article I found where he talked about being recruited by a bunch of schools and: "Claremont-McKenna also promised to start playing Keller in his freshman year."
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
It's DIII
Yes, recruiting is separate from scholarships...like how the Ivy League recruits but doesn't give out athletic schollys.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
It's DIII
Yes, recruiting is separate from scholarships...like how the Ivy League recruits but doesn't give out athletic schollys.
You're being generous with your definition of recruiting
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
It's DIII
The definition of recruited is being generous with it's definition of recruiting
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
It's DIII
The definition of recruited is being generous with it's definition of recruiting
I have several buddies that played in the Ivy League. They basically called the coaches up and said hey if I come here is there a spot?
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
It's DIII
I have several buddies that played in the Ivy League. They basically called the coaches up and said hey if I come here is there a spot?
I understand division 3 can't recruit as much as division 1, but I literally found an article from his senior year talking about visits he took. And the definition given on the NCAA website says he was recruited if he had more than one phone call with a coach or took a visit to the school.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

College athletics is truly a cess pool if DIII has hostesses to bang "recruits" and is recruiting (air quotes) for non scholarship spots
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

windywave wrote:College athletics is truly a cess pool if DIII has hostesses to bang "recruits" and is recruiting (air quotes) for non scholarship spots
I don't know about the first part but DIII and virtually every college has been "recruiting" (real quotes) students with any special talent the school has been interested in since Plato grabbed Aristotle for the Academy.

Just because you don't give aid doesn't mean the potential host can't extend a feel good welcome atmosphere.

People that are surprised by this are like Moliere's character learning he spoke prose.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

In other Class of 2018 news, DB Dorian Camel won the 5a state title in the 100m with a time of 10.39. That's really good. Congrats to him.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote:In other Class of 2018 news, DB Dorian Camel won the 5a state title in the 100m with a time of 10.39. That's really good. Congrats to him.
Speed. We are no longer a step slower than the teams we play (with the exception of OSU this coming season).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

waverider wrote:
long green wrote:In other Class of 2018 news, DB Dorian Camel won the 5a state title in the 100m with a time of 10.39. That's really good. Congrats to him.
Speed. We are no longer a step slower than the teams we play (with the exception of OSU this coming season).

Give me an average-speed defense who is always in the right position to make plays vs a super-fast defense who gets fooled out of position. To me, that's Tulane's challenge. As for an offense, I love speed, but it HAS to execute (i.e. block). But generally speaking, speed is good. It looks like we have it on both sides of the ball. Now coach 'em up.
Plan your work, work your plan.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

When do the freshmen report for the summer ??
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
It's DIII
It's a big world out there.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

This may only be interesting to me, but file this in the "be careful what you wish for" category....Joseph Norwood, who was a silent Tulane commit after his official, committed to Tennessee after they "offered" him on the morning of signing day. After he flirted with Nebraska and Tennessee, Norwood went from unrated to a 4 star player on 247. He was an unknown with a lot of natural ability. Well, Tennessee kicked him to the curb a month or two after signing day having never sent him the scholarship paperwork. So, Norwood committed to Middle Tennessee briefly and then de-committed two days ago, signed and enrolled at UMASS. He ended up having to go to his 4th choice. Waiting for a P5 offer can be detrimental to your health. Go where you are comfortable and where you know you fit in...not where you think you'll get the most props from your friends. Brutal decision.
This one belongs to the Wave.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TU23 wrote:This may only be interesting to me, but file this in the "be careful what you wish for" category....Joseph Norwood, who was a silent Tulane commit after his official, committed to Tennessee after they "offered" him on the morning of signing day. After he flirted with Nebraska and Tennessee, Norwood went from unrated to a 4 star player on 247. He was an unknown with a lot of natural ability. Well, Tennessee kicked him to the curb a month or two after signing day having never sent him the scholarship paperwork. So, Norwood committed to Middle Tennessee briefly and then de-committed two days ago, signed and enrolled at UMASS. He ended up having to go to his 4th choice. Waiting for a P5 offer can be detrimental to your health. Go where you are comfortable and where you know you fit in...not where you think you'll get the most props from your friends. Brutal decision.
That's frick scummy on UT's part
#cousins don't count
Billow
Coach Level

Post by Billow »

Well Zach Calzada, QB Tico Calzada’s son has committed to TA&M.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
TU23 wrote:This may only be interesting to me, but file this in the "be careful what you wish for" category....Joseph Norwood, who was a silent Tulane commit after his official, committed to Tennessee after they "offered" him on the morning of signing day. After he flirted with Nebraska and Tennessee, Norwood went from unrated to a 4 star player on 247. He was an unknown with a lot of natural ability. Well, Tennessee kicked him to the curb a month or two after signing day having never sent him the scholarship paperwork. So, Norwood committed to Middle Tennessee briefly and then de-committed two days ago, signed and enrolled at UMASS. He ended up having to go to his 4th choice. Waiting for a P5 offer can be detrimental to your health. Go where you are comfortable and where you know you fit in...not where you think you'll get the most props from your friends. Brutal decision.
That's frick scummy on UT's part
Wow. Feel for the kid. Apparently rejected by two in state schools.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Reminds me of old cynical business maxim: "You don't have a customer until you've been paid and the cash in the bank." Recruiting equivalent now I guess is "You don't have a player until he or she is enrolled and attending class."
Billow
Coach Level

Post by Billow »

Seems like another commitment RB/SS Carrington McClinton Wash/Marion 5’11 190 Marion was high school that gave Tulane Charley & Nickie Hall. Ran for over 200 yards 5 times last season.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Billow wrote:Seems like another commitment RB/SS Carrington McClinton Wash/Marion 5’11 190 Marion was high school that gave Tulane Charley & Nickie Hall. Ran for over 200 yards 5 times last season.
For 2018?
Tulane Greenbackers

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

waverider wrote:
Billow wrote:Seems like another commitment RB/SS Carrington McClinton Wash/Marion 5’11 190 Marion was high school that gave Tulane Charley & Nickie Hall. Ran for over 200 yards 5 times last season.
For 2018?
2019 -
https://www.hudl.com/profile/6423771/Ca ... -Mcclinton
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Any chance this thread could be “un-stickied” a 2020 one be inserted?
Tulane Greenbackers