In-and-Out Burger

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: In-and-Out Burger

Unread post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
doncecco wrote:When someone can figure out how to top a Port-o-Call/Snug Harbor/Lakeview Harbor burger and potato, I might be moved.
you may never be moved... the ONLY burger I've had better than those two places was at the Charleston Place Hotel at the bar. It had duck fat mixed in with the ground beef... it was apparently inspired by a duck fat infused burger from somewhere in NYC... said so on the menu.
I'll tempt you next time you're in town
not coming back there until you can walk down Michigan Avenue without kevlar... hopefully now that Rahm has realized HE'S the fking problem, it can get fixed
Depends on who the "solution" is.... And Michigan avenue is fine. As long as you go wandering into bad neighborhoods you're more likely to be hit by a bus
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:Who knew a food thread could devolve into politics?! 8)
Chicago really doesn't have politics per se you just pick between the two people the machine puts forth
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

windywave wrote:He should go to Fuddruckers, they have an ostrich burger which is similar to an emu...
How does it compare to owl or prairie dog?
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
WaveProf wrote:A CA democratic lawmaker led a boycott when he found out they had given money to a GOP candidate (apparently that warrants a boycott????) Only to then find out they gave equal money to a democratic candidate, and have to call off the dogs. And those are the times we live in.
I'm glad I'm on social media little enough to have missed that.

I got my first-ever Yeti (not knock-off) mug one evening a few months ago and returned home to find that night that the whole mess with the NRA had gone down that afternoon. Great, now my travel coffee mug is a political statement. Then last week I was at Nordstrom Rack (God bless places that carry my size in anything) looking for some sneakers to kick around in and got a great deal on a pair of Nikes. Now THOSE are a political statement. Like I needed more reasons to dislike going shopping.
What else are you planning to purchase? I want to short that stock
:lol: :lol: :lol:
According to one report I saw, Nike's value went down $4 billion in one day!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:
windywave wrote:He should go to Fuddruckers, they have an ostrich burger which is similar to an emu...
How does it compare to owl or prairie dog?
Can't say I've had either, but ostrich is very lean
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Roller wrote:
windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
WaveProf wrote:A CA democratic lawmaker led a boycott when he found out they had given money to a GOP candidate (apparently that warrants a boycott????) Only to then find out they gave equal money to a democratic candidate, and have to call off the dogs. And those are the times we live in.
I'm glad I'm on social media little enough to have missed that.

I got my first-ever Yeti (not knock-off) mug one evening a few months ago and returned home to find that night that the whole mess with the NRA had gone down that afternoon. Great, now my travel coffee mug is a political statement. Then last week I was at Nordstrom Rack (God bless places that carry my size in anything) looking for some sneakers to kick around in and got a great deal on a pair of Nikes. Now THOSE are a political statement. Like I needed more reasons to dislike going shopping.
What else are you planning to purchase? I want to short that stock
:lol: :lol: :lol:
According to one report I saw, Nike's value went down $4 billion in one day!
Don't worry, it will be back up shortly. Americans are sheep with short memories. Just like all those folks who are "done with the NFL" after the kneeling thing, but will be glued to their TVs this coming Sunday.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

I was wearing a ballcap today which had “US Navy Submarine Veteran” along with the officer gold dolphins, as my sister and I entered the chemo room for her dose of nastiness. A well meaning older man came up to me and thanked me for my service and proudly showed me his T-shirt emblazoned with “I stand for the national anthem”. I asked him if he was a veteran but he was not but it was clear that he thought we were co-conspirators. Why is it the most jingoistic never put their ass on the line? I didn’t have the nerve to burst his bubble to tell him I didn’t give a kah-kah about that fake news controversy and that I served to defend the Constitution and preserve anyone’s right to protest perceived injustice. Plus, what I did was fun.

I’m patriotic but not a sycophant. I’ll be watching tomorrow night as the Iggles try to keep the magic going.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:I was wearing a ballcap today which had “US Navy Submarine Veteran” along with the officer gold dolphins, as my sister and I entered the chemo room for her dose of nastiness. A well meaning older man came up to me and thanked me for my service and proudly showed me his T-shirt emblazoned with “I stand for the national anthem”. I asked him if he was a veteran but he was not but it was clear that he thought we were co-conspirators. Why is it the most jingoistic never put their ass on the line? I didn’t have the nerve to burst his bubble to tell him I didn’t give a kah-kah about that fake news controversy and that I served to defend the Constitution and preserve anyone’s right to protest perceived injustice. Plus, what I did was fun.

I’m patriotic but not a sycophant. I’ll be watching tomorrow night as the Iggles try to keep the magic going.
You don't strike me as a ballcap type of guy
#cousins don't count
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Trying to get back on track, the best burger I've ever had was on Arbat Street in Moscow, at Uncle Sam's American Cafe (ironically, the one place we ate in Moscow where no one spoke English). Great meat, cooked perfectly, bacon a good half inch thick, just divine.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

my hamburger days are pretty much behind me, but on the few occasions where I'll get talked into getting a burger I've found Lees Hamburgers to be pretty good. My daughter on the other hand loves In-and-Out Burgers
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

GreenieBacker wrote:my hamburger days are pretty much behind me, but on the few occasions where I'll get talked into getting a burger I've found Lees Hamburgers to be pretty good. My daughter on the other hand loves In-and-Out Burgers
I'm a Lee's fan. Here in Wichita there are a bunch of "locally famous" burger places. You come to Kansas for beef, basically.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:I was wearing a ballcap today which had “US Navy Submarine Veteran” along with the officer gold dolphins, as my sister and I entered the chemo room for her dose of nastiness. A well meaning older man came up to me and thanked me for my service and proudly showed me his T-shirt emblazoned with “I stand for the national anthem”. I asked him if he was a veteran but he was not but it was clear that he thought we were co-conspirators. Why is it the most jingoistic never put their ass on the line? I didn’t have the nerve to burst his bubble to tell him I didn’t give a kah-kah about that fake news controversy and that I served to defend the Constitution and preserve anyone’s right to protest perceived injustice. Plus, what I did was fun.

lol, take their cue from above, I guess.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

here in Northeast Tennessee there is a fast-food burger joint that has resisted expansion beyond 60 mile radius of Kingsport. Known as Pal's Sudden Service, it has received lots of praise in a number of food and travel magazines. They are known for burgers, but also "Frenchie Fries" and humongous sweet tea.

The place was founded by Pal Barger, has been awarded the Malcolm Baldridge National Quality award. Tri-cities expatriates often make a beeline to the nearest Pal's on returning to the area.

Personally, the burgers might not be the best, although their chiliburger is great. Outlaw might disagree; I favor Fuddruckers burgers, but Pal's gets you in and out "in a flash."
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

AO Sig wrote:here in Northeast Tennessee there is a fast-food burger joint that has resisted expansion beyond 60 mile radius of Kingsport. Known as Pal's Sudden Service, it has received lots of praise in a number of food and travel magazines. They are known for burgers, but also "Frenchie Fries" and humongous sweet tea.

The place was founded by Pal Barger, has been awarded the Malcolm Baldridge National Quality award. Tri-cities expatriates often make a beeline to the nearest Pal's on returning to the area.

Personally, the burgers might not be the best, although their chiliburger is great. Outlaw might disagree; I favor Fuddruckers burgers, but Pal's gets you in and out "in a flash."
Can confirm, Pal's is pretty awesome. I'm a Five Guys guy if we're just talking burgers, but for the whole burger (I like the Pal's sauceburger) + fries + sweet tea + customer service experience, Pal's can't be beat. They have great shakes too. If you find yourself driving through on I81 or I26, give it a try.

BTW AO, Rumor on the street is that the lack of expansion has to do with Pal himself wanting to keep control of the brand by limiting expansion. He's getting up there in years and it's unclear what the franchise might do once he passes.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
AO Sig wrote:here in Northeast Tennessee there is a fast-food burger joint that has resisted expansion beyond 60 mile radius of Kingsport. Known as Pal's Sudden Service, it has received lots of praise in a number of food and travel magazines. They are known for burgers, but also "Frenchie Fries" and humongous sweet tea.

Can confirm, Pal's is pretty awesome. I'm a Five Guys guy if we're just talking burgers, but for the whole burger (I like the Pal's sauceburger) + fries + sweet tea + customer service experience, Pal's can't be beat. They have great shakes too. If you find yourself driving through on I81 or I26, give it a try.

BTW AO, Rumor on the street is that the lack of expansion has to do with Pal himself wanting to keep control of the brand by limiting expansion. He's getting up there in years and it's unclear what the franchise might do once he passes.
Probably true. He is a real stickler about quality, cleanliness, etc. He has had a policy that any employee can make a suggestion to improve any aspect of the operation, and will get rewarded if the suggestion is accepted. They regularly have 95+ point health department reviews, and I suspect he feels that by spreading out the strict policies might be lost. I know several people who have known him for years; they are very big supporters of the area (paid for the big screen at Dobyns Bennett High School, done after Science Hill in Johnson City put theirs up at Steve Spurrier field). He just lost his wife; not sure how this will affect the stores.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

TUPF wrote:

TUPF, Congrats for the Eagles win. To show nothing has changed, it was awesome that Eagle fans maintained their Santa Claus tradition and booed their team in its home opener after winning its first world championship after an almost six decade wait. :-D
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Baywave1 wrote:
TUPF wrote:I’m patriotic but not a sycophant. I’ll be watching tomorrow night as the Iggles try to keep the magic going.
TUPF, Congrats for the Eagles win. To show nothing has changed, it was awesome that Eagle fans maintained their Santa Claus tradition and booed their team in its home opener after winning its first world championship after an almost six decade wait. :-D
:lol: I probably am drawn to the Iggles because I was an Admiral Rickover nuke. The saying attributed to Rickover was that you are either 4.0 or unsatisfactory, and we know you are NEVER 4.0!

It fits Iggles fans.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium