MBB Schedule

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: MBB OOC Schedule

Post by ml wave »

Wonder how the conference feels about this OOC schedule.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

While I stand by my point regarding it not being an NCAA worthy schedule and Florida State being the only potential marquee win, it's actually not as bad as it appears. I don't want to go in to all the nuances but neutral court and road wins are in essence weighted higher. There is a potential for neutral court wins over decent teams in South Dakota State, Toledo, Florida Gulf Coast (depending on brackets for Florida tournament) and Lasalle. We are playing less cupcakes at home and more decent teams on neutral courts. The only potential RPI killing losses would be the home games against UT-Martin (10-21 in 2017-2018) and Prairie View.

We need to start winning in conference to improve the schedule as well. We are playing the doormat schedule in the league again which means we don't play the top echelon teams in the league twice.

NIT bids for our league seem to be almost non-existent. They take a .500 Big Ten or ACC team over a 20 + win team from our league every year for obvious financial reasons.

Basically, it is NCAA tournament or bust. This schedule makes it very difficult to achieve that goal but will likely result in a better RPI.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

windywave wrote:Dannen knows basketball program building well. UNI was pretty damned good during his tenure
I’d say most of the credit for that goes to the head coach that was already there when Dannen got to UNI.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:Dannen knows basketball program building well. UNI was pretty damned good during his tenure
I’d say most of the credit for that goes to the head coach that was already there when Dannen got to UNI.
By what one or two years? Troy definetly wasn't involved at all
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
That's about right. Hiring MD was a "get" because of his CV. However, such a hire will usually means giving the coach more autonomy and years to turn it around. TJ is different and should be treated as such. In either case TD is not the type of AD to hold someone's hand(like the whole RD,CJ situation; RD,EC situation) but rather he hires a strong leader and gives them the keys and help service the program when needed. All of these new coaches are strong and independent. Not all of them will succeed, but that is part of the process.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

TulaneTiger wrote:I don't think it's that bad.

We get FSU to come here, which is the biggest OOC game in Devlin in forever. The tournament at FGCU has some pretty good teams in it. Georgia State had an RPI inside the top 100 for much of last season.

It's certainly not great, but I'm looking forward to some of those games.
Such as? I can't find any info.
Wavebacker
Coach Level

Post by Wavebacker »

Two games in Atlantic City just before Christmas vs Towson and probably LaSalle? You don't know how much I love this! It's like they went out of their way do me a favor. Thanks TU Basketball !

Land of the Free...........................Home of the Wave!

visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
I believe TD’s first year was Jacobson’s 3rd. They won the conference that year.
It’s not unlike us winning the conference in baseball his first year. It’s kind of hard for me to give TD much credit for either.
EagerBiever
Breaker Level

Post by EagerBiever »

FW wrote:

We get FSU to come here, which is the biggest OOC game in Devlin in forever. The tournament at FGCU has some pretty good teams in it. Georgia State had an RPI inside the top 100 for much of last season.

Per the ULL website, "The three-day, eight-team tournament, which runs from Nov. 19-21, will include a field that features Florida Gulf Coast, Colorado State, South Dakota State, Toledo, UTSA and Tulane." Obviously ULL will also be in the tournament.
rjc
Breaker Level

Post by rjc »

We play this kind of schedule like we have done in the past because of the kind of talent we have. Why play a much tougher schedule and get blown out. We have to get much better talent than we have now. To play better opponents would require that we live on the road most of the season and not have very much success. MD to this point has not improved the talent level we need to be successful. I go to all the games and we really need get more people to come to the games in order for bigger schools to want to come play us at home. It's hard to see were this years team will be improved when we lost our 2 best players and have replaced them with three raw freshman. We have a transfer guard coming in that if he could play would be a big help. rjc
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
I believe TD’s first year was Jacobson’s 3rd. They won the conference that year.
It’s not unlike us winning the conference in baseball his first year. It’s kind of hard for me to give TD much credit for either.
I give him credit for not messing with what's working when he showed up. How many bosses fail that simple test regularly?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

rjc wrote:We play this kind of schedule like we have done in the past because of the kind of talent we have. Why play a much tougher schedule and get blown out. We have to get much better talent than we have now. To play better opponents would require that we live on the road most of the season and not have very much success. MD to this point has not improved the talent level we need to be successful. I go to all the games and we really need get more people to come to the games in order for bigger schools to want to come play us at home. It's hard to see were this years team will be improved when we lost our 2 best players and have replaced them with three raw freshman. We have a transfer guard coming in that if he could play would be a big help. rjc

Let's see how the Sudanese duo has developed. I agree that simply adding three good wing shooters (assuming they perform as advertised) while positive is not transformative. However if one (or both) of the twin towers "explodes" like Melvin did after his frosh year, it could be interesting.

Meanwhile OOC schedule underachieves but as I noted above so does LSU's and "experts" universally drooled over the Tiger recruits while Tulane's was viewed as meh. Wade and MD must use the same party planners.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

EagerBiever wrote:
FW wrote:

Per the ULL website, "The three-day, eight-team tournament, which runs from Nov. 19-21, will include a field that features Florida Gulf Coast, Colorado State, South Dakota State, Toledo, UTSA and Tulane." Obviously ULL will also be in the tournament.
That's disappointing
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Baywave1 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
I give him credit for not messing with what's working when he showed up. How many bosses fail that simple test regularly?
Well that’s far from knowing how to build a basketball program. That’s mostly the job of the coaches anyway.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

Gulf Coast Showcase specifics released:

http://gulfcoastshowcase.com/#!/brackets

South Dakota State may not be a brand name but they are a very solid mid-major program who will be favored over Tulane.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Tulane has 3rd NCAA tourney qualifier added to non-conference schedule

https://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2 ... ast_s.html

a little more info on South Dakota State
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

FW wrote:
EagerBiever wrote:
FW wrote:

That's disappointing
Our OOC schedule just got a lot better. South Dakota State won 28 games a season ago, and finished with an RPI of 44.

Mike Daum, already the 2× Summit League Player of the Year, is back for his senior year. They return 4 of their top 6 players in terms of scoring and minutes played.

They will be very solid team. Would be a tremendous neutral-site win for the Wave, all things considered.
angrywavedad
Breaker Level

Post by angrywavedad »

If Tulane ends up playing LaSalle in the Atlantic City tournament, that will also be a tough one. The Explorers are a rejuvenated program with a hot young coach with great Philly pedigree (Ash Howard, former Drexel player and longtime Villanova assistant) who has brought in some excellent local recruits and transfers. Their RPI will be a lot higher by December than it is now.
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

Something weird going on with the schedule.

Check out the picture schedule at the top of this link from when the schedule was released. https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/8 ... edule.aspx

That is the original schedule that was released on August 28th. You'll notice that Florida International is listed as the season opener, and you'll also see a Dec. 17th matchup against Prairie View A&M.

However, if you look at the schedule on the Tulane website now, you'll notice that the Florida International game is off the schedule, and the Dec. 17th game is now against Texas Southern.

There are only 11 out-of-conference games on our schedule right now, according to the Tulane website.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Texas Southern coached by former LSU coach Johnny Jones.
wonder if the Wave will add one more game to get back to 30 scheduled regular season games after these shifts.
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

Also, the full American conference schedule is announced tomorrow, so keep an eye out for that.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Conference Schedule:

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: MBB Schedule

Post by PeteRasche »

In case anyone was curious, we are on the road leading up to Mardi Gras, returning home on Ash Wednesday (USF). The only game we have in Mardi Gras parade season at home is ECU the first Saturday, so again we'll be sporting ECU colors against ECU...
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

btw...non conference, guerry smith reports that Tulane working to add 1 more game (which would be the Wave's 12th out of conf.) prior to the Florida State game at home; since Fla. International (FIU) apparently dropped off after Tulane had them inked in for Nov. 7.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Game No. 30 added to men's schedule...
it's vs. Coastal Carolina at home on Tuesday, Nov. 13, two days after the regular season opener vs. Fla. State Seminoles.