Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:44 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20073
Location: New Orleans
.............inclusion, after past campus divisions

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... be5fe.html

Officials added the new requirement to the university’s curriculum this fall, along with another course on global perspectives. New students must take both courses in order to graduate.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20075
Location: Chicago
Forward comrades

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:33 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 30580
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
Sounds like a course for explaining rules and stating opinions, moreso than for teaching facts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:35 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18334
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Says two old white guys. 8)

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:05 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20075
Location: Chicago
TUPF wrote:
Says two old white guys. 8)


Read the description of the courses. Indoctrination shall commence forthwith

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:16 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18334
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
I did.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:57 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6067
Location: Gretna, LA
You pick from a list of 50+ courses. There was a similar requirement as the "global perspectives" one way back in the early '90s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:28 am
Posts: 564
Location: Round Rock, TX
I'm not stating an opinion here, just presenting facts:

The article, depending on how you interpret the writing, states that "fewer than a quarter" of the student body are people of color. Let's say that in my limited comprehension that means 25% are people of color.

The way I read the article it makes it sound like this is smaller number than it should be considering the racial make up of our country.

Does anyone know what the racial make up of our country currently may be?

Well, I looked it up. As of 2016, african americans make up approximately 12.6% of the population and hispanic/latino americans make up approximately 17.8%. If I add those together, I come up with 30.4% of the US population is considered non-white.

My question is why does the university and frankly the media portray that the racial disparity at Tulane University is so extreme that it is imperative Tulane students should be educated on race so there is better harmony on campus. To me 25% is not that far from 30.4%. When you consider the city of New Orleans is one of the greatest representation of a true racial/ethnic melting pot, wouldn't one think that the students of Tulane University would be one of the last universities needing a mandatory class on race required for graduation?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:19 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20073
Location: New Orleans
I had a college professor back in the day who argued the composition of the University should equal that of New Orleans. He was a very good professor who I liked very much, BTW.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:31 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6067
Location: Gretna, LA
austxwave wrote:
I'm not stating an opinion here, just presenting facts:

The article, depending on how you interpret the writing, states that "fewer than a quarter" of the student body are people of color. Let's say that in my limited comprehension that means 25% are people of color.

The way I read the article it makes it sound like this is smaller number than it should be considering the racial make up of our country.

Does anyone know what the racial make up of our country currently may be?

Well, I looked it up. As of 2016, african americans make up approximately 12.6% of the population and hispanic/latino americans make up approximately 17.8%. If I add those together, I come up with 30.4% of the US population is considered non-white.

My question is why does the university and frankly the media portray that the racial disparity at Tulane University is so extreme that it is imperative Tulane students should be educated on race so there is better harmony on campus. To me 25% is not that far from 30.4%. When you consider the city of New Orleans is one of the greatest representation of a true racial/ethnic melting pot, wouldn't one think that the students of Tulane University would be one of the last universities needing a mandatory class on race required for graduation?

It's not because of the percentages, but because of racially-oriented incidents.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:59 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6862
Location: Dripping Springs
austxwave wrote:
... When you consider the city of New Orleans is one of the greatest representation of a true racial/ethnic melting pot, wouldn't one think that the students of Tulane University would be one of the last universities needing a mandatory class on race required for graduation?


During my years (in 1970) Tulane put on the 'Soul Bowl' to raise money for black scholarships and create a dialogue concerning black students at the school. Great day of music with James Brown, Issac Hayes, Jr. Walker & the Allstars, Earth Wind & Fire plus many, many more. austxwave is right on the money here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:45 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:28 am
Posts: 564
Location: Round Rock, TX
GretnaGrn wrote:
austxwave wrote:
I'm not stating an opinion here, just presenting facts:

The article, depending on how you interpret the writing, states that "fewer than a quarter" of the student body are people of color. Let's say that in my limited comprehension that means 25% are people of color.

The way I read the article it makes it sound like this is smaller number than it should be considering the racial make up of our country.

Does anyone know what the racial make up of our country currently may be?

Well, I looked it up. As of 2016, african americans make up approximately 12.6% of the population and hispanic/latino americans make up approximately 17.8%. If I add those together, I come up with 30.4% of the US population is considered non-white.

My question is why does the university and frankly the media portray that the racial disparity at Tulane University is so extreme that it is imperative Tulane students should be educated on race so there is better harmony on campus. To me 25% is not that far from 30.4%. When you consider the city of New Orleans is one of the greatest representation of a true racial/ethnic melting pot, wouldn't one think that the students of Tulane University would be one of the last universities needing a mandatory class on race required for graduation?

It's not because of the percentages, but because of racially-oriented incidents.


Two minor incidents does not necessitate a university required class on race. It's such a huge overreach. Hey, let's identify a problem that doesn't exist and tell everyone it's a grave problem. I'm not in any way stating there aren't issues amongst race, but it's not worthy of a mandated class to graduate. Our country is becoming so weak. Nobody can be different, have different beliefs or values. Everything has to be homogenized. This is socialism at it's finest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20075
Location: Chicago
GretnaGrn wrote:
You pick from a list of 50+ courses. There was a similar requirement as the "global perspectives" one way back in the early '90s.


I took several classes that focused on Latin America by choice, not diktat. What's your point?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20075
Location: Chicago
GretnaGrn wrote:
austxwave wrote:
I'm not stating an opinion here, just presenting facts:

The article, depending on how you interpret the writing, states that "fewer than a quarter" of the student body are people of color. Let's say that in my limited comprehension that means 25% are people of color.

The way I read the article it makes it sound like this is smaller number than it should be considering the racial make up of our country.

Does anyone know what the racial make up of our country currently may be?

Well, I looked it up. As of 2016, african americans make up approximately 12.6% of the population and hispanic/latino americans make up approximately 17.8%. If I add those together, I come up with 30.4% of the US population is considered non-white.

My question is why does the university and frankly the media portray that the racial disparity at Tulane University is so extreme that it is imperative Tulane students should be educated on race so there is better harmony on campus. To me 25% is not that far from 30.4%. When you consider the city of New Orleans is one of the greatest representation of a true racial/ethnic melting pot, wouldn't one think that the students of Tulane University would be one of the last universities needing a mandatory class on race required for graduation?

It's not because of the percentages, but because of racially-oriented incidents.


I'll decline to comment on legitimacy of your post and its intellectual dishonesty other than to point out that comments on an anonymous site anyone can join and supporting a presidential candidate (who won BTW) doesn't really rise to racially oriented incident that necessitates changing the core curriculum of the university.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:11 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20075
Location: Chicago
austxwave wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
austxwave wrote:
I'm not stating an opinion here, just presenting facts:

The article, depending on how you interpret the writing, states that "fewer than a quarter" of the student body are people of color. Let's say that in my limited comprehension that means 25% are people of color.

The way I read the article it makes it sound like this is smaller number than it should be considering the racial make up of our country.

Does anyone know what the racial make up of our country currently may be?

Well, I looked it up. As of 2016, african americans make up approximately 12.6% of the population and hispanic/latino americans make up approximately 17.8%. If I add those together, I come up with 30.4% of the US population is considered non-white.

My question is why does the university and frankly the media portray that the racial disparity at Tulane University is so extreme that it is imperative Tulane students should be educated on race so there is better harmony on campus. To me 25% is not that far from 30.4%. When you consider the city of New Orleans is one of the greatest representation of a true racial/ethnic melting pot, wouldn't one think that the students of Tulane University would be one of the last universities needing a mandatory class on race required for graduation?

It's not because of the percentages, but because of racially-oriented incidents.


Two minor incidents does not necessitate a university required class on race. It's such a huge overreach. Hey, let's identify a problem that doesn't exist and tell everyone it's a grave problem. I'm not in any way stating there aren't issues amongst race, but it's not worthy of a mandated class to graduate. Our country is becoming so weak. Nobody can be different, have different beliefs or values. Everything has to be homogenized. This is socialism at it's finest.


More statism than socialism.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:03 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6067
Location: Gretna, LA
This topic should be locked; not surprisingly, this has devolved into politics and an opportunity for certain folks who get off on it to stroke their pre-conceived notions. I knew it was a mistake to post here; no one is listening and most just want to stroke their persecution complexes and make law student type arguments that they're not engaging in political masturbation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20657
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
GretnaGrn wrote:
This topic should be locked; not surprisingly, this has devolved into politics and an opportunity for certain folks who get off on it to stroke their pre-conceived notions. I knew it was a mistake to post here; no one is listening and most just want to stroke their persecution complexes and make law student type arguments that they're not engaging in political masturbation.

This

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20075
Location: Chicago
GretnaGrn wrote:
This topic should be locked; not surprisingly, this has devolved into politics and an opportunity for certain folks who get off on it to stroke their pre-conceived notions. I knew it was a mistake to post here; no one is listening and most just want to stroke their persecution complexes and make law student type arguments that they're not engaging in political masturbation.


So, you didn't like the fact your nonsense post got shot down (apolitically mind you) so now you want to kill the conversation? Oh no someone disagreed with me must not hear must not hear triggered triggered

Serious shift.

Do you think these classes will make people any more or less racist than they were before? I've read Marx, not a communist, read Koran, not Muslim. The point is the school shouldn't force kids to do things. College is about intellectual exploration not intellectual jamming down the throat. Basically I advocate intellectual anarchy within a framework of rhe school so people can develop their own opinions and ideas. I know, a novel concept.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20075
Location: Chicago
WaveProf wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
This topic should be locked; not surprisingly, this has devolved into politics and an opportunity for certain folks who get off on it to stroke their pre-conceived notions. I knew it was a mistake to post here; no one is listening and most just want to stroke their persecution complexes and make law student type arguments that they're not engaging in political masturbation.

This


:shock: if only I could do pink emojis

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6067
Location: Gretna, LA
I am so glad I use the ignore button; I encourage everyone to use it. Without reading, let me guess; a certain troll who is tolerated around here for reasons unknown thinks he "shot down" an argument I didn't make and that I'm obligated to waste my time reading his drivel. Ironic, given that I have yet to express an opinion on whether I favor this requirement (FWIW, I favor the global perspectives one but I think the race relations one is an excessive reaction).

I know the troll isn't really listening, just waiting to respond and spew more bile that he thinks is clever, but for everyone else, the ignore button is your friend. It's a shame that we have to use it but none of us are obligated to listen to the ranting of fools.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group